“Great pub, good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duke's Head Hotel

You added Duke's Head Hotel to your Saves list
Duke's Head Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Manor Road | The Green, Wallington, London SM6 0AA, England   |
Ranked #536 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Banstead, United Kingdom
“Great pub, good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Dukes Head was expanded from quite a small pub into something much bigger a few years ago. My parents have stayed in the hotel and thought it very good and they have managed to keep the character of the pub at the front whilst adding a very nice dining room at the back. Both bars have very comfortable seating and the beers are excellent. Service is very good and the menu, whilst a little on the pricey side is worth the money. My only quibble is that I tried several locations but could not get the wi-fi to work consistently and their ducks egg scotch egg was either just a plain old hens egg or produced by the smallest duck on the pond, the one all the other ducks used to push around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
derby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I always ask for this hotel when I'm in London. The first thing I really appreciate is the free and functional wifi - this makes life for the travelling business man sooooo much easier!
The rooms are clean and comfortable. All the rooms I've stayed in have a proper bathroom. The rooms are well equipped - iron and board, hairdryer, kettle, TV, phone, heater and aircon.
Mealtimes are always something to look forward to. The breakfast menu is like non other - choice of salmon and eggs, pancakes, french toast, eggs bennedict, full english etc. I've never seen such variety. The dinner menu is equally enticing. I've always found a parking space. Great location - 5min walk from the station and high street. This place checks all the boxes!

Room Tip: rooms facing the carpark are generally quieter at night
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Having found my usual Young’s Greyhound Hotel full, I opted for their nearby sister Hotel, Duke’s Head in Wallington, Surrey. My areas of complaint exclusively involve the breakfast. It needs a NEW manager, and/or he/she needs retraining in the basics.

I should not be rocket science to ensure the small two hours daily area is run with just a little efficiency. Firstly, there were no individual marmalades left, nor jams; just one small Marmite. I was told they were ‘on order’. – place an order, and how many weeks/months should be derived from that order?

Croissants were being miserably provided. I managed to pick up the final one when I entered the room at 09.10 (breakfast was not due to end until 10.00 – Sunday 30th September). Nothing was provided for my wife neither for the couple of dozen persons who arrived after my wife and I.

Having read on this trip advisor that cooked breakfast took 20 minutes or so to arrive, we decided to stick with the ‘continental’. Albeit, when an accompanying table with two adults and four teenage girls had theirs delivered, it did look worth the wait while they were cooked to order. However the lady guest of the table then looked for butter on the trolley – there was none. Neither was there a waitress about. She scavenged amongst the vacated tables to find leftovers.

When coffee finally arrived, it was not a large enough container to provide even one full cup each. My wife had asked for toast. She was asked whether white or brown. After ten minutes of waiting, it had not arrived. She had to leave to pack, as we had an appointment. I waited a further ten minutes so that I could consume it, and gave up – I could not even see the two waitresses.

Yoghurt's were miserly provided. As everything else, there was no effort by the waitresses to replenish stock. They even had to be asked by a guest to fill up the jug of orange.

Dinner - perfectly cooked and well presented. The waiting time did not matter as it was the end of day.

The room – quite reasonable, although a little more care from the maid would have ensured that it was noted a bedside lamp was blown (room 107).

Would we stay again – yes. But only on the supposition that someone senior has read this, and has made sure laziness by their managers have ensured such a breakfast service is never again to occur. I will endeavour to email this to a Board Member, but am unlikely to be provided with any email address for them.

Room Tip: TIP : Make a fuss as often as you consider necessary, to the waitresses at breakfast. Get what you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

we stayed for 2 nights at the dukes head recently, the hotel has been refurbished and is very nice. the rooms are of a very good standard and the bathroom was a good size although the shower was a bit hit and miss. free wi fi and parking. The only problem we found was at breakfast,very slow service. we sat for nearly 10 minutes before anyone gave us a menu, once we had ordered the food came fairly quickly and was very good, just seems to be a lack of organisation with loads of staff about but no one seems to be doing anything. would return again as the rest of the stay was great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Leigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed here for the second time and I will be back again soon. Really nice staff the room was comfortable and clean. There was a really nice smell on entering the room but there was no sign of airfreshener. The bed was very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep. Probably helped by the blackout curtains. See you again soon and thank you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Stahed for one night. Room was quite good with free wifi and comfortable bed. Shower was poor though and stopped altogether halfway through - not great. Biggest let down was the food. Tasteless and overpriced at dinner and took ages at breakfast. I still don't know why these hotels still have the old fashioned breakfast to order rather than a buffet. 20 minutes is far too long to wait in the morning when you're in a hurry. Don't think I'll stay again but if I do will eat elsewhere.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

When driving down the street to find this pub, I was slowly filling with regret.. however as I turned into the car park I was pleasantly surprised. (albeit they could have moved the overflowing bins from the front of the car park!) We stayed the first day they had reopened the restaurant from the refurb, so needless to say reception and the dinning room had been finished and presented to a very high standard.

Rooms are clean and a much higher standard than I would expect from a "pub hotel" The room I had had air conditioning and given it was 30c it was much welcomed.

Staff are friendly and the cooked breakfast the next day was excellent, if not a little too pretentious for my liking.

Given the other pubs in the area, and we did go to a few, this is by far the best!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Duke's Head Hotel? Share your experiences!