“Great for an overnight stay before early flight” 4 of 5 stars

Travelodge London City Airport Hotel
Hartmann Road | Silvertown, London E16 2BZ, England   |
Ranked #421 of 1,075 hotels in London
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great for an overnight stay before early flight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed here before our early flight at London City Airport. Modern Hotel with great customer service from the staff. Restaurant provides good value for money food and drinks also. Ticked all the boxes for us and we had a great nights sleep as the bed's are very comfy. Tip - The rooms only have a bar of soap in regards to bathing and showering, so do ensure you take your own shampoo etc.

Will definitely stay again when we need to.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

First there was no one there to great me at the desk. They came out after as they must of seen me on the camera. I ordered dinner but the pizza was not cooked, I was disappointed. I threw the rest away as I didn't wan to be sick. The bathroom was dirty. It had other peoples pubic hair in the shower on the wall. There was no shower gel just one bar or soap!!! I was disturbed at 11:45 by a couple or friends arguing and fighting in the room below me. This was unacceptable! They kept slamming doors and windows, why? I haven't a clue.
As there was no phone in the room I called from my mobile to the desk as I was obviously in my night clothes. I told the man that picked up that I should not be hearing this from one floor up. After, they continued slamming the door. I wish I stayed elsewhere.
Also the carpet in my room was not vacuumed. It was filthy! food crums every where. I stayed in the Cricklewood Travelodge last year and it was perfect - no complaints. The TV volume was extremely low on BBC one and I really wanted to watch that channel. Overall, I believe if you stay here and buy dinner and breakfast like I did, you will waste your money. Honestly. Hair was in the breakfast buffet and the staff were lazy bringing out the food and cleaning up the tables. Many tables were filthy. I recommend new management team and new employees, however the bar lady was nice. The one thing I did like was the comfy bed and pillows. Everything else was disappointing, sorry,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge London City Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your review honest-person88. Our bar café staff are trained on ensuring food in the café is up to a great standard so it is regrettable to learn you found your pizza was not cooked correctly on this occasion and that their was a lapse in the service. As a brand standard we do not provide toiletries, however we do provide a vending machine at reception should you need to purchase extra toiletries; this is so that we are able to continue to offer great rates in great locations. We ask our customers to be courteous and to respect their noise levels when around the hotel so we are truly sorry to learn of the disturbances, our staff will also patrol the hotel on a regular basis so that they are aware of any guests who may be making too much noise. It is also regrettable to learn the condition of the room was not up to a great standard as our housekeeping team follow a regular routine to ensure that all rooms are clean and fresh. We would like to take this opportunity to investigate the concerns that you have raised, please use the contact us button on our website to provide us with more information which will allow us to offer a resolution.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

It's surprising what difference the staff can make, even in a 'uniform' hotel like Travelodge. I've used this hotel on several occasions and have found the staff, especially those on reception, to be friendly, helpful and efficient. The food is good and reasonably priced, rooms are clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: I would have given 5points for Value, but when you add on the price of breakfast and parking, it put...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 14:15 after a struggled journey with 4 suitcases. Upon arrival we were told we couldn't check in until 3 o'clock as the room wasn't ready. When asked if we could leave our bags we were told there was no luggage store which was very disappointing.
5 lots of people arrived after us and were told the same thing.
I would have thought there could be at least some flexibility with arriving only a short time before 'official' check in.
There was never a member of staff on the front desk and presume they were too busy tucking into their Mcdonalds out the back which arrived as we were waiting but never actually saw anyone on the desk at anytime during our stay.
At 3 o'clock on the dot 3 members of staff appeared from the back to start the check ins. Clearly the staff are not willing or not allowed to stray from set boundaries. I find it hard to believe all rooms were cleaned and ready bang on 3 o'clock and not a minute before.
On the upside the beds were very comfortable, the rooms really quiet, clean and have tea and coffee facilities.
Airport and DLR station are a ten minute walk but probably wouldn't recommend walking on your own as it's very dark and there aren't many others around.
There is a phone line straight through to a private hire firm which is useful should you need a taxi.
I know it's a budget hotel but customer service needs to be improved.

• Stayed January 2014
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge London City Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your feedback Natalie_Roberts. For all of our hotels our check in time is from 3pm however we do ensure that a number of rooms are ready from 12 noon for our customers to want to take advantage of our early check in service. This service costs £10.00 and is subject to availability. Our staff are expected to provide a great service, sometimes they may not be at the desk due to having to complete other tasks however we do provide a buzzer should you need their assistance and we would expect them to be available to help at all times. We will be sure to pass on your feedback to the hotel staff so that they can be reminded of the importance of customer care.
Nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Ok, so the cost is a bargain, however there are some standards that should not be cut.

The rooms are basic, that's fine, it was only a place to sleep, and the beds are wonderfully comfortable.

Even though the close proximity to the airport, the window sound proofing was very effective. So we had a good nights sleep.

What I am disappointed about is the following. The bathroom / toilet. Basic hygiene, I am not bothered that there isn't fancy wrapped new soaps with shower gel etc etc. but a cheap wall mounted hand soap dispenser so people can wash hands after going to the toilet, surely won't put a dent in the profit margins on this national group?! I used my shower gel, but makes you think about others hygiene when walking round hotel opening door handles etc! Yuk!! Don't risk guests health Travelodge!!
Also the bin in the toilet did not work. So it was not pedal operated, so you had to open it by hand...... Concerns re above point!!
The extractor fan did not work, as it was so full of crud it must have shorted. The crud was clearly visible!!
The shower head leaked and more water came out the back onto the wall/ floor, than onto you!

Also, room cleanliness. Will try and attach photo later of what looked like dried vomit down the side of the dresser unit! Really?!?! Come on travelodge!!!

I would have complained to staff.... If I could of found one!!

Pros- cost & bed comfort
Cons- everything else

Stayed December 2013
We are truly sorry to learn of your recent disappointment carlonottm. We expect all of our rooms and bathrooms to be clean and fresh and up to a great standard so it is regrettable to learn you found the standards of cleanliness in the bathroom to be unsatisfactory. As a brand standard we do not provide toiletries, we do however require a small bar of soap to be available in every room and we also provide a vending machine at reception should you need to purchase any extra toiletries, this is so that we can continue to offer great rates in great locations. We do expect our bathroom extractor fans and shower heads to be in good working order and if necessary the room should not be given to a guest until all items are fully functioning. We’d like to be able to contact you to find a resolution. In order for us to do this please could you visit our website and use the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have used Travelodge all over the UK for many years and have just discovered the London City Airport hotel. Living in Kent, the airport is less than an hour from home by car but, by booking in advance, it much cheaper to drive to the hotel, pay for parking and stay overnight than taking a "cheap" day return on the train! We arrived at 9am, parked up in the car park (£7.50 for 24 hours), left our luggage in the car and headed off to the DLR. The DLR is about 10 minutes walk (from inside the airport) and goes to Bank on the Central line so is perfect for Oxford Street and Hyde Park, where we headed (for Winter Wonderland). We were in Winter Wonderland as they opened at 10am.

The hotel is modern, friendly and very clean with two lifts to all floors. Our room was large, very clean and very comfortable; it was one of the new style Travelodge rooms. Standard features include ensuite with bath/shower, TV, heating, tea/coffee making facilities, desk, two chairs. The windows were double glazed with a third sliding layer of glass. We heard three planes take off/land during our stay but it wasn't loud and didn't disturb us.

We also paid for the buffet breakfast (£6.50 each) which was excellent value for money and included fruit, yoghurt, cereal, full cooked English, fruit juice, tea, coffee, toast and croissants. Not quite as tasty as the full English breakfast at the Serpentine café but that was £12 each! Staff were friendly and attentive.

This hotel is really worth a look if you want an excellent value for money hotel close to London. We have used Docklands previously but this is even better, if slightly further out.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Great all round value for money,breakfast excellent on new years day,taking into account that the eating area was full to capacity and the staff were flat out.Safe secure parking at a reasonable rate.Clean warm bedroom plenty of hot water.Well done Travelodge.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Been to Travelodge London City Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!