“Not so bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #462 of 525 London B&B and Inns
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Not so bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

After reading the bad reviews on here, I prepared for the worst (not being able to afford any other hotel- am a student) but it was really not so bad.

The staff were friendly, though we didn't see them other than when checking in. The cleaner-girl was lovely. She made our breakfasts (very nice) in the mornings. It was clean though some things (taps, lights) weren't working occasionally. The showers were very nice too.

In the evenings it was very noise but we'd just come back from Japan and so we were both very jet-lagged, so we weren't bothered too much.

I think the worst thing was how far it was from the station. With luggage it's really quite bad (a lot further than it says on the site).
Also, the area isn't the safest place in the world but it was an eye opener for my Japanese boyfriend who previously thought England was full of gentlemen and Mary Poppins types!!!

All in all it was a nice stay and I would stay there again.

• Liked — The price and the breakfast!
  • Disliked — How far it was from the train station..
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
bridgend
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

no soap no towel no toilet paper no sockets for kettle or microwave this place has no right to call itself a hotel lat best it can be classed a hostel at worst a prison cell

Stayed March 2008
belfast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

An unbelievable experience that I would not like to repeat. God only knows how this place is able to operate as an established hotel. Hotel must be acknowledged with a really open mind. This place is basically a shelter for the homeless! The room I stayed in was disgusting, from the dirty walls to the rag they had draped up for a curtain. The outside noise wasn't helpful either, being that the window hardly closed, and the heating didn't work.
Truely a terrible experience not to be repeated.

Stayed January 2008
Oahu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

If you're not deaf, don't plan on sleeping before 3am on Friday or Saturday nights.

I check in at 7pm (at the bar, as they have no front desk) and was shown a "Twin" room that looked like a small jail cell, the bunk beds barely fit in the narrow room. When I refused to stay there, the lady offered me another room "Double ensuite" which needed to be cleaned. It looked ok, so I asked about the noise from the bar, and she assured me that I would even hear it on that side of the building.

I came back after an hour and put my stuff in the room and went walking the streets of East London. I tried to sleep in my room at 11:00pm, but the noise and vibrations from the dance floor was VERY LOUD! I was unable to sleep until the noise died down at 3:00 am.

In the morning, I asked to speak with the manager about checking out early, but was told that she was not in. I told the staff member that I couldn't stay another night, and left.

When I returned that evening to get a receipt and refund, the manager (the same lady from the night before that lied to me about the noise) went away with her male friend and came back 15 minutes later with a computer printed receipt for CASH for one night (I paid by credit card for 2 nights). When I asked for the refund, she told me I had to get that from Active Hotels.com. Active Hotels replied that refunds come from the hotel, not from them.

Stay away from here if you want to sleep before 3am, otherwise ask for the double room in the front of the building.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

I really would avoid going to this hotel!..

Originally booked this hotel via a special hotel booking website. The pictures on this site made the hotel look like "an ok place to stay". They made it look much nicer than it really is!

Stayed at the hotel in February, and would not stay there again.
Me and my friend booked a twin room - The room itself was very small. The 2 twin beds were small - One of the beds had lost a lot of the spings in the matress, and therefore had a massvise dip in the middle!

There was a built in wardrobe area at one side of the room with 2 cupboards to use. One of the cupboard doors would not even open.

The window to the room was open when we arrived in our room, to which we discovered, it didnt shut as it was broke! Obviously this made the room extremly cold, so we tried to put the radiator on, but this did not work! I ended up sleeping in my clothes and was still freezing!

In the room there was a fridge and a microwave, which although we did not use this, I guess it could come in pretty handy. There was also a kettle + 2 mugs, however there was just a basket of teabags - No sugar, no coffee, no milk, and no spoon. So for a drink you could make a cup of black tea but not stir it. The 2 mugs provided also had dust in them.

The hallway upstairs also looked very "tacky" A ladder was placed right in middle, and there was pictures and boxes placed along the floor.

The hotel has a shared bathroom - This has a seperate shower unit which was good, however you are unable to take a bath, as the bath was placed upright against the back wall!

So overall it was not a plesent stay at all. It was very cheap and I can see why. I would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed February 2006
LOndon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

Had a room booked at the Central for 3 nights earlier this month. Tried to check in at 11am and was told couldn't until 12pm. So left baggage in bar, as I had to be somewhere by 1pm. I was assured the owner Max would call me during the day to confirm that everything would be ok with the booking. This I found a little strange, as I had a confirmed and PAID booking.

Got back at 11pm to be told the hotel was full and I and another lady would be taken to another local hotel. A friend of the chap who was arranging all this arrived to pick us up - he drove off so fast, I couldn't follow in my car! Having been told he would come back in 10 minutes, I waited for 50 minutes outside the hotel, the other guy was in the meantime practically ignoring my existence, for him to return.

In the meantime, 2 other people had found out there was no room for them either, so the other guy was taking me to "his family hotel" and them to another hotel. On the way, we stopped, as the 2 chaps were being dropped off at the hotel - unfortunately this one was full too and by the time they came back, the guy who was taking us had a "flat battery". So we took my car to his hotel - unfortunately this was full too, so he said we would be in an annexe near the station. At 12.30pm, we arrived and parked up and walked to a terraced house where we stayed in what was like a student house without towels or breakfast as booked. This is apparently what the Central uses when they are overbooked, which apparently happens very often.

The thing about my reservation with the Central was that they had taken a booking for a double room, as "there were no singles left." The 2 other guys, who didn't know each other at all, not only shared a room in the “student house“, but also a bed!

In fact it was good not to have stayed at the Central, as there was a loud disco both Friday and Saturday night and the place stank of dope. However, as a female, not really my cup of tea driving around Barking with 3 guys in my car who I don’t know at 12.30 at night going from one place to another.

Been to Central Hotel? Share your experiences!