“the worst experience ever!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Central Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   150 Barking Road, London E6 3BD, England   |
Ranked #463 of 524 London B&B and Inns
staffordshire
“the worst experience ever!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

would NOT reccommend this hotel at all! We arrived there at 11pm at night to be shown to our room. It was not at all as advertised. The room looked like prison with bars covering the windows. It was dirty and rusty. My partner went to open the fridge to see what it was like and got his hand covered in pee. We noticed bottles of pee outside. We had a look at the toilet room and it was a disgrace. Once again the bin was filled with pee, the room was just a mess! There were stains on the carpets and the bar downstairs was soo loud. None of us had any sleep. As it was 11pm it was too late to find another hotel so we just coped with it for the night and left the next morning even though we'd paid for the next night. Definately would not reccomend!!

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
coventry
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Stayed here as part of a group booking. Good location, excellent value. The rooms are basic with shared bathrooms. The hotel is clean and staff are polite. Well worth a stay just for the good value compared to other London accomodation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
south west
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

there are 2 central hotels in london, this is where i messed up. i checked the other one on trip advisor and thought it would be fine. this one is on barking road upton park. the place is about 20 stops on the tube from central london- so hardly central. we arrived at the station and had about a 10-15 min walk through what i can only describe as chav city. i didnt have high expectations as the hotel was cheap but seriously the location was not good. i am not racist but me and my friend were they only white british people there- we did not find this a problem but you get a lot of people staring and being rude. the 'hotel' is above a pub. at first they double booked but found us a room. this was simple, pretty average. bedding was clean. there was a tv (with no arial) a kettle (but no mugs, tea/coffee or anything) and a fridge. the room had no curtains so was very light in the morning. i guess the room was ok- nothing really to complain about not cleaned brilliantly but it was cheap so cant really complain. abit annoying having to share a bathroom and toilet. all the locks on the doors look like they are about to fall off. a taxi from central london to this place is about 40pounds. we got in at 4 in the morning and either the owners or people staying were having a massive arguement. banging, screaming, shouting etc. we just kept well out of the way. the people were not very friendly and warm apart from a few exceptions. not really much to say apart from if you want cheap and dont care about the location then this is the place as long as you are not expecting a nice place to stay. our trip would be better if the hotel was closer to london so we will probably not return for this reason as of location. would reccomend to a friend if this is what they are after- otherwise not.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

After reading the bad reviews on here, I prepared for the worst (not being able to afford any other hotel- am a student) but it was really not so bad.

The staff were friendly, though we didn't see them other than when checking in. The cleaner-girl was lovely. She made our breakfasts (very nice) in the mornings. It was clean though some things (taps, lights) weren't working occasionally. The showers were very nice too.

In the evenings it was very noise but we'd just come back from Japan and so we were both very jet-lagged, so we weren't bothered too much.

I think the worst thing was how far it was from the station. With luggage it's really quite bad (a lot further than it says on the site).
Also, the area isn't the safest place in the world but it was an eye opener for my Japanese boyfriend who previously thought England was full of gentlemen and Mary Poppins types!!!

All in all it was a nice stay and I would stay there again.

• Liked — The price and the breakfast!
  • Disliked — How far it was from the train station..
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
bridgend
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

no soap no towel no toilet paper no sockets for kettle or microwave this place has no right to call itself a hotel lat best it can be classed a hostel at worst a prison cell

Stayed March 2008
belfast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

An unbelievable experience that I would not like to repeat. God only knows how this place is able to operate as an established hotel. Hotel must be acknowledged with a really open mind. This place is basically a shelter for the homeless! The room I stayed in was disgusting, from the dirty walls to the rag they had draped up for a curtain. The outside noise wasn't helpful either, being that the window hardly closed, and the heating didn't work.
Truely a terrible experience not to be repeated.

Stayed January 2008
Oahu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

If you're not deaf, don't plan on sleeping before 3am on Friday or Saturday nights.

I check in at 7pm (at the bar, as they have no front desk) and was shown a "Twin" room that looked like a small jail cell, the bunk beds barely fit in the narrow room. When I refused to stay there, the lady offered me another room "Double ensuite" which needed to be cleaned. It looked ok, so I asked about the noise from the bar, and she assured me that I would even hear it on that side of the building.

I came back after an hour and put my stuff in the room and went walking the streets of East London. I tried to sleep in my room at 11:00pm, but the noise and vibrations from the dance floor was VERY LOUD! I was unable to sleep until the noise died down at 3:00 am.

In the morning, I asked to speak with the manager about checking out early, but was told that she was not in. I told the staff member that I couldn't stay another night, and left.

When I returned that evening to get a receipt and refund, the manager (the same lady from the night before that lied to me about the noise) went away with her male friend and came back 15 minutes later with a computer printed receipt for CASH for one night (I paid by credit card for 2 nights). When I asked for the refund, she told me I had to get that from Active Hotels.com. Active Hotels replied that refunds come from the hotel, not from them.

Stay away from here if you want to sleep before 3am, otherwise ask for the double room in the front of the building.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Central Hotel? Share your experiences!