“Best pie and mash in london” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #440 of 18,011 Restaurants in London
London, United Kingdom
“Best pie and mash in london”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The place is traditional tiled place only moan the QPR rags hanging on the wall still cannot have everything,but the pies are the best the mash brill and the liqueur outstanding try the eels they are the best double pie and mash £8 but worth every penny

Visited May 2014

Louisville, Kentucky
“A quintessential slice of London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Although we didn't care for the dish that is pie and mash, there is no doubt that this is the authentic item. And though we weren't brave enough to sample them, the eels looked highly edible. But the true charm of this shop is the people. The ladies running this place are a true delight, in their blue sleeveless smocks. They even spooned out a sample of the liquor (read, parsley water) for us Yanks. And the location is great, too. You spot it catercorner as soon as you exit the Goldhawk Road tube station. It's just a classic, local, hole-in-the-wall joint that you won't find in any travel guides. And the prices are beyond reasonable...you'll get filled up for far less than you would at a "normal" London restaurant or pub. No frills, bare bones, frugal, local flavor dining. That's how I like it, be it seafood, barbecue, fish and chips and PIE AND MASH! Well worth seeking out if you make it to London.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Audrey B, Owner at A. Cookes Pie and Mash, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Hello, thank you for your review. The ladies at the shops are a major asset and your kind words will be passed on to them. We are always thrilled to know that someone has enjoyed their meal and the experience of eating at the shop. Once again, Many thanks.
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Never had proper pie and mash before so after hearing that it was under threat from some development company I went to check out A Cookes. A proper old school pie and mash place, a single portion only cost 4 quid and it's delicious, almost turned round and had another after I'd finished. Go and support this absolute gem, because it might not be there forever. Plenty of other stuff to tie in with your visit to A Cookes: Shepherds Bush Market is just over the road and the Portobello Road is just a couple of tube stops away.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Audrey B, Owner at A. Cookes Pie and Mash, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Hello. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about A. Cookes Pie & Mash. It is always heartening to read such positive things. The business has been going since 1899 and still continues with the Great Grandson of A. Cooke. He takes great pride in the production of the food. We sincerely hope to see you again in the future. Once again, Many thanks.
York, United Kingdom
“Brilliant place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I visited here on a recent trip to London and it is brilliant. I happened to find the place by accident as I had been visiting Shepherds Bush Market. Very much a proper London Pie and Mash Shop with alot of character and atmosphere.

• Visited March 2014
Hello Jake R.
Thank you for your positive review. We value the input of customers and you have pointed out something that we need to address, no pun intended as you found us by visiting Shepherds Bush Market.
Now that you have located us hopefully you will visit again.
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Perfect Pie and Mash”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

After watching a re-run of Quadrophenia I wondered if the pie and mash shop where Jimmy met Kevin still existed. A quick Google later and A. Cookes Pie and Mash was on my agenda for a weekend visit.

It was a rare sunny day on Saturday 22nd February and after a trip along the Central Line my friend and I arrived at Shepherd's Bush. A half mile walk later and we were there.

The restaurant was everything I hoped it would be. Welcoming, busy, bustling, authentic and full of the charms you'd expect from a family business established in 1899. It is currently owned and run by the great grandchildren of the founding Mr Cooke.

Listening in the queue (so I could at least pretend I knew what I was talking about) I learnt you can ask for a single (one pie, one scoop of mash and liquor) for £4, or a double (2 pies 2 mash) for £8. If you wanted more mash you could order a single with double mash for £5 I think. If you wanted gravy instead of liquor you'd ask for a single with brown.

I ordered a single and at £4 I confess I had relatively low expectations. How wrong I was. The mash was beautiful, no lumps, creamy amd well seasoned. The pie, while minced inside, was tasty, good quality, also well seasoned and clearly home made with a light crisp pastry. This is the first time I've ever had liquor, a watery sauce made of parsley, butter and eel stock. It is a perfect accompaniment to the dish.

I wanted to try the eels, but when I saw them I just couldn't. It's a personal thing and by no means a reflection on their quality. I'm sure that if they're your thing they're equally as lovely.

I wanted the old London nostalgia and it's there in abundance. Right down to no knives, just forks and spoons to eat with. Yes the interior decor has seen many better days, but that doesn't matter because it all adds to the authenticity of the experience.

If you feel like planning a visit, watch out for when QPR are playing at home because the queue is said to be very long. Also, don't be afraid of standing out as a non-local. This place is packed with typical old London charm and absolutley everyone seems to be welcome.

Be quick if you are thinking of paying a visit. The shop is at threat of closure because of a compulsory purchase order for redevelopment. It would be a tragedy if this little piece of old London town was lost forever.

• Visited February 2014
Hi ChrisWGC.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed and complimentary review. We have been under threat of compulsory purchase order for some time which we are fighting and will continue to do so. Mike is the Great Grandson of the original Alfred Cooke who started the pie and mash shop in 1899. We hope to be around for many more years to come and look forward to seeing you again.
Best wishes,