“Fave pub! ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Lion Guesthouse

You added Black Lion Guesthouse to your Saves list
Black Lion Guesthouse
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   274 Kilburn High Road | Kilburn, London NW6 2BY, England   |
Ranked #241 of 535 London B&B and Inns
london
“Fave pub! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is the best pub in the world. Please don't come here. I'm trying to save it for just people I love. Though if you came here and loved its beautiful architecture, it's charming music and the warm, slightly drunk people of Kilburn I would love you too - and after some delicious tapas we'd practically be family.

Seriously, get out of central London. This place is the pub of pubs.

Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

£49 for B&B in 0207 - what a bargain. Staff that do everything they can to help and a comfortable bed. Value for money? Oh yes! Would definitely stay here again no doubt. I guess it ain't the ritz but I paid £49 to stay in NW6. All good from my perspective.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed here and the state of the building is terrible. The walls are peeling off and the bathroom smelled of smoke.

More importantly, the owners are highly unreliable. We asked them to call a taxi and the one that took us was an amateur who navigated using his phone and took the longest possible route to our destination. He did not have a taxometer either, but just told us a price.

After our stay, we started receiving spam email from the hotel's email account asking us for money for people who were supposedly stranded there.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone under its current management.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
bm202, Manager at Black Lion Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
We are very sorry that you were not happy with your stay at the Black Lion.

We wanted to address some of the points you made:

* All our room's are non smoking if you had suspected the previous guest had been smoking in the bathroom we would have apprecitaed it if we were informed at the time, we could have deep cleaned the bathroom for you and also made contact with the previous occupant who would have received a fine.
* We use the same mini cab firm for all our customers and this is the first time we have received a complaint, if you had wanted a taxi with a meter this should have been specified at the time and we could have booked you a black cab, when booking cars for our customers we always get a quote from the taxi firm and relay this to the customer, if this did not happen on this occasion i can only apologise as we do not your name or when you stayed I can not pursue this matter with the taxi company, however if you would like to get in touch with us I can most certainly do this.
* In the hallway's we are currently re-decorating and this should be the only area where the walls are peeling this is because we are in the process of re-decorating, our room's are checked on a daily basis and none of the internal room's have any peeling walls.
* Regrading the spam email our account was hacked over the weekend- we apologise to anyone who has received this email, we have tried to contact as many people as possible but as you can imagine this will take some time as we have 1000's of contacts, as soon as we realised we had been hacked we contacted our email provider.
We would appreciate it if at some point you would give us a call so we can discuss all the above matters and offer you some kind of compensation. Many Thanks
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is quite a good location, it is 20 min. to central London on Jubilee line. Kilburn is sometimes a bit rough but otherwise convenient area for a short stay in LND. Pros: affordable rates for London, good location, nice park behind, big and clean rooms, wi-fi. Cons: noise from the street (although double glazing windows helped), what is a little disaster is breakfast - only a toast and a slice of ham/cheese (if you are faster than others) and perhaps tea if there is hot water in a pot?! this part was really disapointing considering you are paying for it, no eggs possible nothing... if there would be a choise of no breakfast, than go for it and eat better elsewhere. On the whole it is a good place for a short stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Laos
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

What a disgraceful place.

So, I booked a deal with lastminute.com and it was all paid for and confirmed. Received the email. Sorted. Booked my trip and trains around it.

24 hours later Black Lion get in touch to say there was an error and the room's no longer available. It's evident what happened was they didn't like the deal I got and so they tried to bump me out. I complained to lastminute because it was all confirmed and I'd made my arrangements, who rang Sabrina the manager and hey presto it's all restored.

Only, it isn't. 24 hours later I get another email from lastminute to say I will now have to pay 10 times as much as the deal I originally got because it was an error.

Disgraceful scammers and hoodlums. Have nothing to do with this place.

Room Tip: Do not choose ANY room in this hotel: scammers
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
bm202, Manager at Black Lion Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
This gentlemen Mr Hoskins misunderstood the room rate quoted and expected to pay £5 instead of the correct rate £55 per night.

When the misunderstanding was point out to Mr Hoskins he adopted an unreasonable approach.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The staff is really helpfull and polite. Clean spacy rooms, bathroom very small .-(. Breakfast and food very good, nice and remarkable breakfast room. The street was a bit dirty and a lot of traffic. But the area is really intersting with theatre, cinema, restaurants and pubs. And !! the beautiful Kilburn Park right behind the hotel. Bus and tube are very very close, so the access to the city centre is easy and fast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I live in the area so I frequently meet friends at the Black Lion pub for a catch up and maybe some food. So whilst I can't comment on the hotel, I can say that the pub is lovely. One of the nicest places to spend a relaxed evening or Sunday afternoon as it's rarely more that three quarters full. The ceiling is amazing and I love the decor in there, too.

Have eaten a roast and tapas-like dishes in there a couple of times - very nice, reasonably priced.

However, what prevents me giving the Black Lion 4 or even 5 stars is the drinks selection. I am sure that last year, they had beers and ales on tap and now it's not possible to get a drink from draught. They have Theakstons and a honey ale in a 500ml bottle - fine, but that is more expensive than draught and the selection is thus very limited. Similarly the wines are a bit overpriced for the quality.

However, I still think it's the best pub in the area - far better than the North London Tavern just across the road for ambience and a lovely interior.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Black Lion Guesthouse? Share your experiences!