“Great Hotel, Superb Staff: What Else Could You Ask For?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza on the River - Club and Residence

You added Plaza on the River - Club and Residence to your Saves list
Plaza on the River - Club and Residence
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TJ, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #108 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Hotel, Superb Staff: What Else Could You Ask For?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed in a one-bedroom river-view suite at Plaza on the River for four nights. (Regrettably, our view was toward Vauxhall and not the picturesque Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, but that's my only complaint.) We found the place completely by happenstance on a travel web site, but what a find! Perfect location a short walk to Westminster and well away from the downtown noise and traffic, a most courteous and helpful staff, and a beautiful spacious suite. As I say in the title, what more could you ask for? I'd definitely stay there again and recommend it highly to friends and family.-------Len M., Philadelphia (USA)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Gabriella_Kolber, Guest Relations Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Len,

Thank you for your review and positive feedback on the hotel’s grandeur and our professional team. We are glad that you could take advantage of our prime location in the heart of the city although we are sorry and apologize that you were not more comfortable with the view of your guestroom. Kindly contact me directly after you make the reservation next time and I shall try my best to find you a room with the view you will love.
Your feedback is out of the norm and we hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you again.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Basel, Basel-Stadt, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend. Booked hotel via PriceLine. It is listed as a 5 star property however I would give it 4 at a maximum.

Check in was just fine, I was upgraded from a Studio to a 1 Bedroom. Many of the rooms, mine included, faced what they called a "courtyard". This courtyard has no light of any sort (has a roof), and faces about 100 other rooms. The lack of light makes the rooms absolutley depressing. Room itself had a full kitchen but cabinetry, flooring, carpet was cheap and in some cases coming apart. Normally I wouldn't care however at 5* prices, I expect a bit more.

Location is along the river however it is not anywhere near a tube stop. Area has absolutely nothing near, a gas station, one smallish pub but it's quite a hike to get anywhere with nightlife.

In all, I think the hotel is not at all worth what I paid and I would not stay again. Bright side was the staff was attentive and accommodating. Chose a different hotel in a more central location for the same price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Andy,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to learn of your disappointment with your guestroom view.
Our Atrium view rooms are favourites with the guests who prefer quiter rooms, welcome to reserve a riverview balcony room overlooking the stunning Big Ben and Houses of Parliament. It is included in our online room descriptions to enable guests to select the best option for their travel needs.
Nearest tube station is Vaxhuall only 7 mins walk from our hotel. There are several cafes with beautiful patios only minutes from our hotel.
Once again we apologize for your feeling of disappointment with your stay and hope that we may have another chance to welcome you in the future.

Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you would like to discuss your stay at greater length.

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Great location directly besides River Thames. Sadly there is a construction site besides the hotel, but the windows kept it quite silent.
Staff is very friendly and helpful.
Hotel is nice and quite clean. The carpet is a bit dirty or let's call it used at some places.
The bathroom is quite big and clean with nice cosmetics.
TV entertainment system works well even if the pay per view movies are a little expensive.
A very nice idea is the Nespresso machine with provided capsules and a tea set.
Minibar is well equipped and the room service was fast, friendly and the food (breakfast omelette) tasted very good!

The fitness centre is pretty small, but it's open at 24 hours a day.The equipment works fine and some dumb bells also exist.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Hansschmidt99,

Thank you for bringing your feedback to our attention via Trip Advisor, the construction next door should be completed in next few months.
It is wonderful to learn that your stay was enjoyable. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the Nespresso machine in the guestroom.
At Plaza On The River we are always working hard to make our guests feel comfortable and have the most memorable stay.

We look forward to our earliest opportunity to welcome you back.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay at this hotel,the first being in november last year. I stayed with my wife and 2 kids. Checkin is quick but if you arrive too early you have to be lucky to get your room before 2 pm,the checkin time. We had to wait on both occasions but we didnt mind as we checked in our lugguage and spent time walking along the river to London eye.We requested for and got the same room as the last visit. We had a 2 bedroom apartment with balcony and river view. The view was amazing with the river infront and we could also see the London eye. The apartment had 2 bedrooms with spacious bathrooms, a sitting area with 2 dining tables and sofas and a pantry with a microwave and a washing machine. The breakfast was included in our room tariff. It is part alacarte and part buffet at the hotel restaurant-Chino Latino.As we were eligible for free breakfast we could also order it in the room for only a delivery charge of £5. The housekeeping is good. The room service is excellent as they dont make any mistakes and deliver in 20 mins. The London eye is 20 mins and Vauxall station 15 mins on foot. There is a convenience store right next to the hotel. Wifi is free with good speed. They gave a welcome drink voucher for 4 and plenty of coupons for the kids which could be exchanged for chocolates from room service or juices and icecreams at the bar. The fire alarm came on once at around 11am and we had to rush down. The staff was very helpful at this time. There was only one problem we faced on our second visit that they could not put a DND on the phone after 12 midnight as it is put by business centre which closes at midnight. But they did it for us at 7am the moment business centre opened. On our last visit we had asked for and got extra time for a late checkout ,at a cost ofcourse,as our flight was late. But no such luck this time as they were fully booked. We had to check out at 12 noon.However they allowed us to use their lounge which was very comfortable with some snacks and drinks at no extra cost.
The best thing about this hotel is that it has a FANTASTIC staff.In particular Carolina at the restaurant at breakfast, Simon and Tibor the bell boys and Vikas from room service. They give a personal touch to their service. Looking forward to staying here on my next visit to London.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear ritzytraveller,

Thank you very much for your lovely comment. It is certainly a great feeling to see that our hard work is recognized.
I am also glad to see that so many of my colleagues managed to impress you that their name is now on Tripadvisor as an appreciation.

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family back again for your London trip. Indeed the Two bedroom apartments with River view & balconies are extremely popular, however we try our utmost to accommodate our guest requests or offer alternatives to assist them with early landings and late take offs.

We are looking forward welcoming you back in 2015!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my girlfriend who was here for a business conference. 10 minutes walk from the vauxhall station along the Thames.

I've been to a few hotels in London recently and I think this was one of the best. The staff are very friendly and helpfully. The bar was nicely busy and the staff excellent. I didn't eat in the restaurant but heard good reviews.

The room was a good size with plenty of space. A comfortable bed and a nice bathroom with seperate shower and bath. Unfortunately we where on an inside room looking at the room opposite.

The Saturday night was a company dinner in the room overlooking the river and houses of parliament. The staff, again, excellent. My wine glass was never empty. Food was served by clearly well trained personnel. A very nice set menu for our dinner.

Overall, a very clean well run hotel in a good location to see the London sights. Would stay again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SimonS,

Thank you very much for adding one more 5 out 5 rated comment to our popular Tripadvisor site.

Your contribution is really appreciated.

I am glad that you enjoyed your company lunch served and looked after by our professional Meeting & Events Team. I hope we will be able to welcome you back very soon, when you can taste our fantastic menu in our award winning restaurant Chino Latino.

Please feel free contact us to arrange a reservation at Plaza on the River as well in the restaurant.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel four times now and am due to return again later on this month. After finding this gem of a hotel I would not look any further for another hotel. The staff are amazing, the rooms are clean and very nice with amazing views of the Thames. I have been down with groups of friends but I am returning with my 6 year old for a trip this weekend. The bar and restaurant have a very cool and laid back feeling to them and the food is amazing. the beds and very comfortable and the rooms are quiet. I have stayed in the main hotel and also in the club suites (they are amazing) and all are very good value for money. would highly recommend this hotel and already have to many people.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in a group of friends - consider the suites and split the cost between you. yo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Fiona F,

Thank you very much for your lovely comment and I am glad to see that you consider ‘only’ Plaza on the River when travelling to London.

The rooms with River views are indeed unique and have one of the best views in London.

Please feel free to contact me when you are returning for your 5th time to us, and I can arrange a nice cocktail for you in our Chino Latino Bar.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

The hotel itself was really great with the River Thames just outside the window. The room (one bedroom suite) was spacious and nice.
But the one thing we enjoyed most was the amazing staff they had working there. Always helpful and always with a smile. This was our first time visiting this hotel, but probably not the last.

Stayed May 2014
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Gannerud,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor.

It is always a delight when we learn that our passion and professionalism looking after the Plaza on the River Guest are appreciated.

We are looking forward welcoming you back soon.

Front of House Manager

Been to Plaza on the River - Club and Residence? Share your experiences!