“Spacious but......” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza on the River - Club and Residence

You added Plaza on the River - Club and Residence to your Saves list
Plaza on the River - Club and Residence
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TJ, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #103 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Los Angeles
“Spacious but......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

If you want spacious, the 1-bedroom suite is the way to go. All the amenities, beautiful large bathroom, room for ll your luggage, spacious closets, and beautiful views of the Thames if you upgrade to a river-view room. BUT, it is on the other side of the river from all the major attractions and neighborhoods you want to visit and a 15 minute walk to the nearest tube station.

It is also noisy! We were awakened at 6:00 in the morning by a vibration in the wall of the bedroom. The same vibration occurred two days later around 10 pm as we were trying to sleep and continued into the next morning when we reported it to the hotel maintenance staff. They were still trying to figure it out when we left.

So: pros - large rooms, beautiful views at extra cost, good restaurant and mostly helpful staff (one man at the front desk had an attitude and was unpleasant, but everyone else was friendly and eager to help. Cons: far away from everything, noisy.

Room Tip: If you stay here it is because you want space. Splurge and get a view room, too!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear teampaul,

Thank you very much for your review and please accept my apologize for the mysterious noise disruption from next door.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful river view apartment. Please feel free to contact us prior to your next visit to book one of our rooms with balconies, that also have views towards Houses of Parliament and Big Ben.

The Guest Relations Team and myself are happy to assist you and looking forward welcoming you back.

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Gaborone, Botswana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

First the positives:
- Friendly staff, especially at breakfast
- Comfortable rooms
- Well located - easy walk or bus ride to Vauxhall Underground / Rail station or Waterloo Underground / Rail, London Eye / London Dungeon / SeaLife London, and even Westminster
- Clean
- Good (but small) gym facilities
- Great views (as long as you get a river view, even when looking up towards Vauxhall Bridge)
- Very responsive to requests for assistance

Now the small glitches:
- Monotonous breakfast buffet (and sometimes we were really worried that some of the fruit had been recycled too many days)
- The plumbing is a bit "iffy" - every now and again there would be a definite sewer smell in the bathroom
- Our drawers were definitely rummaged through by service staff, and my son's one jacket disappeared from the room
- Walls and floors /ceilings are quite thin - sound does travel, especially when there is an event in the ballroom

On balance, the "glitches" are just that small irritants, and we will return again should the opportunity arise!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view, even if you have to pay for it (although yo may get a view towards Vauxhall Br...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Ribbie_001,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your arrival and the helpful staff, I apologise for few ‘glitches’.

I would like to inform you that the Breakfast Team along with our Food & Beverage Manager are currently reviewing the breakfast items and presentations. I hope we will be able to start the new buffet soon.

I was concerned to read about the loss of your son’s jacket. May I kindly ask you to contact us directly with more details about your reservation so I can follow up on this?

We look forward to serving you on your next visit and just a reminder for an external view towards Big Ben and Houses of Parliament, you will need to select a room with a Riverview & Balcony.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I really want to give this hotel 5 stars we stayed for 7 nights.

This part of my holiday had been planned forover 12 months and Gabriella and Kamila had been extremely patient and helpful with all my questions. Jean-Jacques and Adam were equally terrific planning the menu formy 50th birthday cocktail party. Outstanding service by all of them. 5 stars

The food at Chino Latino is fantastic and some of the best food I have had. 5 stars.

So was the bar, great cocktails.

My cocktail party was amazing, the food done by Chino Latino and my guests are still raving about it and so am I. 5 stars

We had a 2 bedroom suite which was great and perfect for our stay and for our party with amazing views over the Thames to Big Ben. Yes there is construction on either side but the noise didn't effect our experience at all. Some of the furniture and cupboard doors looked well used and they need to be fixed and updated, it just looks a little tired. Although you only notice this after a few days. 4 stars

Housekeeping were good, we left them notes on our extra needs and they were fulfilled and when we asked for some maintenance to be done it was done so immediately. Everytime we called housekeeping someone would call the room not long after they had fulfilled our request which was good but sometimes a little annoying when you requests several things a day but I would rather be loved tha ignored!

Concierge was fantastic, special thanks to Ardit for organsing our car for the day and to Adelino for making sure it was picked up and organising such brilliant weather for the party! They also made booking tickets for shows and tours a breeze.

This hotel more than met our needs and with just some minor updating it really deserves 5 stars for every aspect.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear EmmCeeAustralia,

Thank you for your praising comments posted on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at Plaza on the River Club and Residence.

I am so happy to read that you had a memorable experience with us and appreciated the quality of food and cocktails and the professional service provided by the staff through your stay, especially highlighting some many individuals across the different departments.

We are all happy to deliver inspirational service to ensure all our guests are leaving with a positive feedback.

I wish you a lovely journey for the last leg of your birthday celebration trip.

Warm Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Based upon a number of stays in 2012 and 2013, with a great cocktail bar and Asian fusion restaurant for the evenings, and (if you're working) free Wi-Fi and spacious rooms to work in, this hotel is worth the extra few minutes in the cab/on the Tube. It's quieter than some of its West End/City sisters but excellent all-round. I have used it for business and family/leisure without a glitch, and will continue to do so if the standards remain as they are. For London, prices are competitive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear David Y,

Thank you very much for your loyalty towards our hotel and your comments about our facilities, services.
I am happy to see your passionate disruption of our Bar and Restaurant. I will make sure the team will receive a copy of your comment.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel, whenever you business or leisure travels take you to London.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I've booked this hotel for a wedding anniversary after considering a few other hotels - mainly due to the great reviews and the *promised* great views of the river! How wrong I was! Now I wish I've booked anything else but this hotel.

You may get the same idea I had from reading reviews here - don't be fooled, they completely mis-represent what you may get and paint the rosy picture. Let me tell you how it really is...

When you look at the building from outside, the Apartments are situated on the right side of the building, while the Plaza hotel (not Club and Residence) is the left side. What's the difference you ask? Well, massive, as all the advertised views towards the Big Ben / London Eye (that feature so prominently) are actually not part of this hotel.

I've taken time to re-draw the plan of the hotel shown to me at the reception, which explains much better the split of the rooms and the views you going to get. I wish I have seen this before booking the hotel. Hopefully, you will find it useful.

Basically, Club Residence has only 1 room per floor looking towards Big Ben, additional 3 rooms (River View with Balcony) per floor that look straight at the river and you have to lean to the side to see Big Ben - all other rooms look in the opposite way towards Battersea.

Oh, and the standard rooms... well they are in the courtyard surrounded from all sides by the two hotels. You don't want to get these!

Hence, you can see that there are only 12 rooms in total with proper views as advertised, and which is used as the main reason by many to book this hotel. I think it is plain mis-advertisement which would be slapped with a fine if it happened in another industry.

In addition to that you should be aware there are building works going on both sides of the hotel. They started works at 8:00am sharp on Saturday morning (think they start even earlier on weekdays) with a pneumatic drilling which was so loud it was unbearable.

What happened in my case is that I booked in advance for a special occasion and also called them to check that I will have nice views and there is no construction works. They said "yes" to both. When I came to check in they told me there are no rooms looking towards Big Ben or Balconies - and I was allocated the nicest River View room closest to the river on 11th floor. It was indeed the closest and the views were... well, see it yourself on the photo attached... awful. A small piece of Thames obstructed by construction works. Completely not what I was expecting.

To give them credit, the service was very good (after I spent 30-40 mins at the check in) and they delivered ice and white table cloth as requested. They also use nice cutlery from Villeroy & Boch.

But the lack of any views whatsoever (I probably have a better view from my flat), unbearable noise from construction works and the nasty unpleasant surprise mean that I recommend you AVOID this hotel.

Room Tip: Any room you choose you will not get the views seen on pictures - as these are located in different...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear pavaks,

I am sorry to read that you had a disappointing stay with us. I have reviewed your booking and I can see that you booked our Open Plan Studio Apartment.
As far as I know our Reservations Department did contact you and offered you an upgrade to a River view Apartment, however this was declined.
Requests are subject to availability and are not guaranteed and regrettably upon your check in we did not have any full River view apartment left. My team has upgraded your room a partial river view one, from which you have a full river view from the bedroom and a partial view from the living room area.

As the hotel was operating at full capacity during your stay on the day we were unable to offer you the upgrade requested.

We always encourage our guests to review our room types on the Park Plaza website prior to booking with us as well as contacting them via e-mail, this will ensure they receive their preferred room type and view thus avoiding this type of disappointment.

I am delighted you recognise the service was good and hope we will be able to welcome you back at Plaza on the River.

Please feel free to contact me directly when booking the room, to ensure the correct room category has been booked.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed at the apartment hotel, not the main hotel, it has its own checkin area in the main reception and a seperate lift.

Rooms were very nice, large living room with a seperate bedroom, with a small kitchenette, all very high quality.

Hotel has an amazing view over the Thames to the Houses of Parliament, just a short walk away from the London eye, so is a really good location with lots of buses and within walking distance of the tube, we used this as a base for visiting the sites on a weekend Xmas break.

I used Club Carlson points to stay that I had saved for business trips, looking at the prices, it can be expensive, so I will mark as average for a Central London hotel !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Paul W,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind comments in relation to your stay in the run up to the Christmas period.

We are delighted to learn that you too found the apartments most accommodating and of high quality. As you mention although logistically we are not centrally located we are within easy reach of all major attractions including central London and this reflects on our high occupancy all year round. We do offer an advance purchase rate which is a discount of 20% off the average daily rate when booked in advance which is ideal when planning your next trip to the area and is available online at our website www.parkplaza.com (Terms & Conditions apply).

Thank you once again for taking the time to leave a fantastic review on tripadvisor and we do hope to be welcoming you back to Plaza on the River – Club & residence when you next in the area.

Kensington, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

First thing to know is that it is 2 hotels on the same property- Park Plaza Riverbank/Plaza on the River- We stayed in Plaza on the River.
Wonderful room overlooking the Thames- 1 BR Apartment- very clean and comfortable. The only complaint we have was the beds are very HARD. It was our 20th anniversary and the bed was decorated with red rose petals in the shape of "Happy 20th" and a nice card welcoming us.
There is a small grocery store just up the block, which we used a number of times. The Vauxhall tube station is just up the street and 2 bus tops are just outside the hotel. It was a great location and the staff couldn't have been more accomodating. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Request a "iconic view" room, so you have a view of the river- not sure what the view is o...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear krs10s,

Happy Anniversary once again...
Thank you for posting your fantastic review for our hotel following your stay.
I am delighted we managed to make your stay special and memorable for you and your partner.
I do hope we’ll be able to welcome you back again soon.

Regards,
Front of House Manager

Been to Plaza on the River - Club and Residence? Share your experiences!