“Nice to be back again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza on the River - Club and Residence

Save Saved
You added Plaza on the River - Club and Residence to your Saves list
Plaza on the River - Club and Residence
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TJ, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #97 of 1,069 hotels in London
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Nice to be back again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Since my last stay at the Plaza on the River I wondered if the hotel would maintain its quality and service. This month I stayed again for 5 days and must say that it is still ****.
Location is good, one room apparmentment is complete. I stayed on the inside of the hotel. No river view, but also not street noise. When you are out all day the view does not matter much.
Room service is good, nice chocolate on the pillow every night.
My price included breakfast. English breakfast is good, but why not offer a nice ommelet or so.
The bar-lounge still does not appeal to me after the many times I stayed here. Only 1 (Japanese) beer on draft. Trendy but not comfortable place to stay with friends or business colleagues. Time for a change! Elevators are too dark inside.
The room has excellent free internet wifi. A +++++.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Richard4570,

Welcome back and thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

I am delighted to hear that you are overall satisfied with your stay and we are looking forward welcoming you back.
Our award winning Chino Latino Restaurant has a varied menu selection on offer, however if there is something that you would like but do not see, please let us know and we will do our best to provide it for you.

With regards to your comment about our Bar, I have forwarded your comments to our Brand Manager to look into it.

I am looking forward welcoming you back when I hope we can meet personally.

742 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Recently returned from a 2nd great stay hare. Even the entrance to this hotel is very impressive, a private 'sit down' area just off to the side of the main foyer for the sister 'park plaza embankment' hotel. A large room even for London standards, which was perhaps owing to my club Carlson status. All the features of a hotel but the space and privacy of a private apartment - look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear pazzalondon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence as our valued Club Carlson member.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the view from the decking area overlooking to the river.

We hope we will be able to welcome you back the third time soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is my second stay at plaza on the river and to be honest normally im too lazy to write reviews but i actually thought that this hotel deserves recognition. The hotel is beautiful, some of the rooms offer you stunning views into london and the rooms are overall superb in them self. Most of all the staff are a pleasure. I have stayed in lots of hotels in london however without a doubt this has been one of the best and i would recomend it to everybody.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view if possible
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear nab187,

Thank you very much taking the effort to post your review about your latest stay at Plaza on the River.

I am delighted to read how much your enjoyed the whole experience.

It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with the rest of the team and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards,
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I think this is my fifth review of Plaza on the River, all of which score five circles on here, so it must be doing something right! This place consistently provides a very high quality guest experience.

The rooms are huge, both in absolute terms (60m2 for a 1 bedroom suite) and in relative terms (compared to many 'luxury' central London hotels that are tiny in comparison). The rooms are very well appointed, with real wood floors, good quality furniture and fixtures. The in-room entertainment system has recently been upgraded and there is now a full range of Freeview + international channels, with a much improved electronic programme guide. There are large flatscreen TVs in both the living room and the bedroom.

The living room is spacious and with the full height floor to ceiling windows, very light and airy. There is a leather sofa (I think it opens out to a sofa bed) and armchair. In the kitchenette there is a compact cooking unit, dishwasher, fridge, washing machine and sink, accompanied by a comprehensive set of plates, cups & cutlery. There's also plenty of storage shelves in the living room if you're staying here for a while.

The bedroom has a massive wardrobe and long double chest of drawers (the TV sits on top) so there is plenty of storage space in here as well. Inside the wardrobe is an ironing board, decent steam iron, robes and safe. There is a reasonable choice of illumination with reading lights in the ceiling. The mattress initially comes across as a little on the soft side for a Carlson Rezidor estate property but it is very comfortable - certainly not too soft - and has always contributed to a good night's sleep.

The bathroom is fantastic; very large with bath, sink with lots of space either side & drawers underneath and a separate walk-in shower room. This has a fixed head shower as well as hand-held shower head. The bathroom has plenty of lighting - including a shaving mirror - and with the large mirrors on two sides & pale marble, also feels very light and spacious.

In some of the rooms toward the rear of the property there can be a small amount of noise from the overland railway line to the rear of the hotel but I've never found it intrusive and it shouldn't put anyone off. The windows are very well double-glazed.

I've also read a couple of reviews that complained that the place wasn't a hotel but was rather serviced apartments. Well I've stayed in several serviced apartments in London and they tend to be very different: e.g. no room service, limited reception/guest services. Plaza on the River is very different; it offers all the services of a full service hotel but in suites that are apartment sized.

On the downside, the work desk is glass so my laser mouse won't track when resting on it and I have to put a piece of paper underneath it. And when you plug your shaver into the socket in the bathroom, the socket makes a bit of a buzz whilst it's charging. If that's all I can find fault with, then I think it's safe to say that a) I'm very picky, b) they are tiny issues that don't affect the guest experience or b) both.

Simply describing the suite doesn't really do it justice.

Firstly, there is the view. Being opposite Millbank Tower, you are in the centre of London and right on the bank of the Thames, so the view is pretty special. In fact it is completely mesmerising - I can sit looking out toward the Houses of Parliament for ages and never grow bored of it. I've uploaded a pic to try and show how wonderful it can be.

Secondly, there is the customer service. Every time I come here, all of the staff I encounter are professional and welcoming. Whilst the hotel is conjoined with Park Plaza Riverbank and shares some of its facilities, it always seems that the staff on the Plaza on the River side are that bit more experienced at understanding the profile of their guests and delivering excellent customer service accordingly. The customer service is always friendly without being patronising and it seems that nothing is too much trouble. I came back from dinner in the restaurant (Chino Latino - reviewed elsewhere on here) to see that housekeeping had been in to do the turndown service. Nothing unusual in that - apart from the little chocolates they put on your pillow - but in addition there was a bottle of water on the bedside table and a glass on a coaster. Rather than simply take one of the complimentary water bottles from the living room through to the bedroom, another new bottle was put next to the bed. Only a small touch but one that shows a clear attention to detail.

The room cost £299 including VAT for a 1-bedroom suite. Based upon the size of the room alone, in central London that's good value. Add in the wonderful feeling of luxury and relaxation and it is great value. With the high level of customer service that it also provides, Plaza on the River delivers a very high quality and memorable guest experience time after time.

Room Tip: If you can stretch to it, go for a room with a view. It is worth the extra.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Propaganda_Machine,

Thank you very much again for another lovely comment about your stay at Plaza on the River.

I am extremely happy to note that you enjoy your time with us and I appreciate your praising words of our Guest Relations Team’s customer service as well our Housekeeping Team and the apartment.
Looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We came here to enjoy London for the weekend. The staff are really friendly and the room was great with a river view.

Food was excellent and service at all meals well above average compared to other hotels we have stayed at. Food wasn't over priced either.

I enjoy working out so it was good to use the gym. We will definitely come again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SP45,
Thank you for your kind review following your stay with us at Plaza on the River – Club & Residence.

I am delighted to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. Park Plaza strives to go above and beyond when a guest stays with us and the team will be delighted when I share your comments with them.

I am also delighted that you had an enjoyable experience in our restaurant Chino Latino; although I am biased I would have to agree the food in Chino Latino is well above average and this reflects in the Two AA rosettes we currently hold not to mention the brilliant feedback from guests such as yourself.

SP45, thank you for taking the time to review Plaza on the River – Club & Residence and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

saudi arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 4 nights in this hotel, it was very clean. The location is great its just opposite the buckingham palace. There hotel is good for business trip. I felt its like a business center of course i believe if u have kids they wont like it

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear S_Alassaf,

Thank you very much for making the effort posting your comment about your recent stay at Plaza on the River.

Even though we have a lot of business guests staying at the hotel, we also have Two & and Three bedroom apartments which are ideal for families.

Please kindly note that currently we have Family Packages available, where we focus on our Little kids while they are staying with us.
For more information, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to assist you with future reservations.

New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the years most recently in the summer of 2012. Generally, this hotel serves as my default hotel in London. I had previously had a bad experience with a different Park Plaza hotel in London so I was initially reluctant to try to this hotel. I am pleased to say that I have always enjoyed my stays at his property and received excellent customer service throughout my stays. Perhaps surprisingly, I have also found the food offered at the hotel to be above average in both quality and value.

The hotel is a separate section of the Park Plaza Hotel on the River with its own dedicated check-in and waiting area and dedicated elevators. In the mornings guests can find a selection of pastries and coffee/juice in this small area.

Rooms are furnished in a modern style with wood floors, small kitchens, and faux marble bathrooms. Rooms have always been spotlessly clean With a strong selection of TV channels, a dedicated DVD player, and good internet signal. Water pressure is good.

In London where space is at a premium, i love having the ability to stretch out and to have a full dinner service in my room if I want it or to be able to cook light snacks.

Staff have always been friendly and helpful. The only downside to the hotel is the location. While the hotel has always claimed that there are no problems in the area, it is not an area I would feel safe walking in later at night as the street can be a bit deserted as it is located next to a large petrol station and some non-descript buildings.

Otherwise, I will just take a cab and continue to enjoy myself while staying at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Plaza on the River - Club and Residence? Share your experiences!