“The Perfect Home from Home in London” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza on the River - Club and Residence

You added Plaza on the River - Club and Residence to your Saves list
Plaza on the River - Club and Residence
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TJ, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #103 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Warwick, United Kingdom
“The Perfect Home from Home in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked a 2 night weekend break in a Studio Apartment at the Plaza on the River as a going away treat for my sister before she flew back home to Australia. I emailed ahead to confirm our arrival time, Club Carlton Member details and the particulars of our stay. The team responded immediately and on arrival we were pleased to find that we had been upgraded to a 1 Bed Apartment on the top floor with a Thames view and there were cupcakes and a welcome drink voucher waiting for us in our apartment. The hotel was easy to find and proved to be a good location to base ourselves for sightseeing and visiting the National Theatre. Throughout the stay any requests were dealt with swiftly and courteously. Justyna on the front desk gave us a particularly warm welcome and stopped to speak with us when we saw her during our stay. This is the kind of care and attention to detail we found during our visit, which was followed up after our visit with a request for feedback which was personally responded to.

The apartment was a good size with a very comfortable bed, large bathroom and well equipped kitchen, including a Nespresso machine. It was all well maintained and very clean. The entertainment system was a little tricky to master, however I have since understood it is about to be fully upgraded. We did manage to watch a DVD though and made use of the iPod dock too. The hotel bar was friendly and suitably busy to have a good atmosphere and it had a good cocktail menu.

I have already booked another weekend break with my boyfriend in May, as I enjoyed our stay so much. I would recommend staying here to anyone who wants the convenience of all the hotel amenities but wants the luxury of space and home comforts on demand while being away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I am a regular at the Plaza on the River, its the first hotel I try to book when I know I am in London.
I did 2 nights this week and 4 the week before - both times I stayed in the apartments which is genuinely a home from home. Adequate gym, amazing restaurant and fabulous bar area - nice staff and convenient for everything.
The rooms are fully equipped so bring your tea bags or just pop around the corner to the well stocked grocers.
Im currently trying to get a corporate deal so I can get my exec team to stay...or should I keep it just for me?

Room Tip: I stayed on the 10th floor which was fine but had no view - I didnt need one and this week stayed on...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear andylord1,

Thank you very much for your comments and I am happy to see that you have chosen Plaza on the River Club and Residence as your London-base in the past and planning to do so in the future.
All my colleagues are happy to deliver exceptional service to ensure all our guests are enjoying their stay with us.

I believe a colleague of mine has already contacted you with regards to the corporate rate.

We are looking forward welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

A little confussed & disheartend as tried to book a hotel room with a balcony & river view for our honeymoon and was told that couldn't book as rooms are not open yet to take bookings...asked if it was because the were already booked and reply was dont know, try booking end of feb or early march. Would of liked a bit more help as i understand early booking is best for availabillity?
I hope that waiting that long will favor in the end but i am just left feeling anxious.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our family of 4 managed to catch a train from Heathrow, change onto a tube to Vauxhall and walk the 10 minutes to the hotel without too much drama!! The hotel is located almost between the London Eye and Vauxhall station. Its right over the road from the Themes and in stones throw of Westminster and Big Ben...both of which are right across the river.We booked a large family room that had a separate master bedroom and a large bathroom with separate bath and shower. The lounge/kitchenette area was roomy with a sofa bed for the 2 kids and the kitchenette complete with coffee machine and a washer/dryer [bliss]. The view straight over the Themes was really lovely. Vibrant and interesting watching the boats go by and the different activity along the river walkway. We walked to the right, out of the hotel along the Themes which was stunning on a clear winter evening with all the city lights sparkling along the rivers edge....after 10 minutes walk we reached the London Eye [great at night} and dinner at Waggamamma. The kids loved the street performers...music, mime etc and we felt safe walking back to the hotel at 11pm. To get into central london we walked Left out of the hotel back to Vauxhall station and went to all the places we wanted to visit on the tube. so efficient and easy. [using our weekly Oyster cards purchased when we arrived ]Internet was great at the hotel.We ate out and stocked our kitchen with food basics.

Room Tip: Ask for their bigger rooms with kitchenettes if travelling with kids. A view of the river makes the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear TaniaK,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience

We look forward to welcoming you back at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence. Please feel free to contact us directly to book one of our Two bedroom apartments overlooking the river again.

Kindest regards,
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Fantastic river view ,separate 1 bedroom apartment . Haven't slept so soundly for months. Superb ,cool , silky sheets , excellent bathroom facilities, space and tranquility. Great Chino Latino restaurant, atmospheric and delicious. Breakfast plentiful , but difficulty getting any toast on second morning despite asking 3 times ! Staff on the whole charming and helpful, one or two could do with a "tweek" Would thoroughly recommend this venue for a restful retreat to anyone who wanted to relax after a day in London .

Room Tip: River view are delightful.
Dear ianpistoff,

On behalf of the Plaza on the River Team Guest Relations Team I would like to wish you a Happy Birthday.
I was delighted to read your comments regarding the hotel and the staff. We always pride ourselves to provide high level of customer service and I am pleased to see that we have made your family's experience a memorable one.
I have taken the opportunity to share your feedback regarding breakfast to our Food & Beverage Manager who has assured me this one of incident will not happen again in the future

Kind regards,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed in the apartments for our honeymoon at the start of January and were delighted with the quality of the room. We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment and the standard was fantastic. Well laid out with everything you could ask for and more. Very easy to get all around London as only a short walk to the tube station.

Dear Ash3012,

Thank you for your wonderful comments with regards your recent stay at Plaza on the River Club and Residence.
We are proud to be your London hotel on such a special occasion.
To hear such positive feedback is a great start to our day and we are looking forward to your next visit, maybe for your first anniversary?

Feel free to contact myself directly if I can be of any assistance.

Kindest Regards
York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had experienced many issues with the hotel before we got there in regards to them not carrying out checking of their advertising on other partner sites,

Although our view was lovely, if we had not got a river view i would have been very disappointed and rather just kept the curtains shut.

The rooms were far from the 5 star standard, the bath some of it was starting to come apart, the cream carpets had black marks all over it, no bin liners in the bins, the washing machine didn't work. Using the televisions was hard work since the actual remotes didn't work,

As for customer service it was extremely disappointing for the amount that was paid for our room, and to then get there and pay an extra 50 pound per night, surely just to pay for what is used would be more appropriate. No Sir or Madam was use or even Miss and Mr was just first names.....5 Star I think not. From the beginning this is lacking, managers stating they will ring back I'd been waiting over a month for 2 different managers call backs.

The way one part of our party were dealt with on check out was rather rude.

Overall we felt this hotel was all about this money....money this and money that, not about the individuals at all. For over 200 pound a night, what was we paying for, personally just the room which really wasn't worth that especially since you could tell someone had been there before us, not the customer service and definitely nothing inside since everything in the room was extra.

Personally after my and my parties experience, we feel you deserve to be stripped of your stars so this alerts people you are not as magnificent as you expect a 5 star to be and not to make the same mistake we did. Hopefully you will improve.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear YorkSteph2013,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your experience at Plaza on the River – Club and Residence, London. Please be assured that I have personally investigated all of your comments with the relevant Heads of Departments, and relayed your feedback to them.

With regard to the pre-authorisation matter, your card was pre-authorised upon check-in on to cover any incidentals as mentioned. As per our standard procedures, all pre-authorisations are taken only after being fully explained to the guest upon check-in and I trust this was made clear to you. It is common practise in the hotel industry to take this action prior to giving access to their rooms. .

I was shocked to read that you were addressed by your first name as all staff is fully aware our policies and knows the standard greeting of our guests. I reiterated your comments to the team and I am sorry that this was not done.

Having discussed your comments about the standard of the room I have passed on your comments to our Housekeeping and Engineering Teams and the issues have been addressed internally.

Once again thank you for your comments, it is only when people such as yourself take the time and trouble to provide us with feedback that we are able to monitor and improve our performance and the service that we offer.

Yours Sincerely,
Front of House Manager

Been to Plaza on the River - Club and Residence? Share your experiences!