“Not bad, would stay again if I just needed somewhere to sleep.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Smart Hyde Park View Hostel

Save Saved
You added Smart Hyde Park View Hostel to your Saves list
Smart Hyde Park View Hostel
16 Leinster Terrace, London W2 3EU, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #276 of 623 Specialty lodging in London
Derby
“Not bad, would stay again if I just needed somewhere to sleep.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The good things...
It was clean.
Its about 10 mins walk from the station and about 3mins walk from Hyde Park in pleasant area of London.

The common room area is cozy, and small with plenty of DVDs and books to kill a spare few hours if needed.

Most rooms have their own bathrooms.
Lockers in rooms at the bottom of the beds.
Fairly clean for a hostel.

The bad things...
I had to swap my bed with a pregnant girl (I didn't mind) there was no way she could of climbed onto the top level of a 3 level bunk bed, it was even too high for me, as the steps up are badly designed and it is very easy to slip on them.

The breakfast was dreadful, the worst hostel breakfast ever, water, a bowl of jam, a bowl of the cheapest butter and white toast.

You need CASH to get a room card (door key) and you need CASH to get a locker key or a towel there is no cash machine near by, so make sure you have at £50.00 CASH on you just in case you want these things.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HPVManager, Manager at Smart Hyde Park View Hostel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Hi Happy20102010,

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it. Just to straighten up your comments: we require £10 deposit for the keys during the check in and we have it stated on our website and every booking agent websites. Our aim is to supply cheap and affordable accommodation to our guest at unique locations. We also offer free simple continental breakfast to our guests.

Hopefully your next stay with us will be more enjoyable:)

HPV Manager

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Balatonalmadi, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed twice so far in this hotel. Must say that we had bad experience in The Windmill in Acton and after one night we find this one.
Everyone very helpful, nice receptionists we got what we asked for! The price is good for this great location!
Top floor far right side of corridor from lift is really quiet. Which is great if you stay for a few days.
Shops and attractions can be reached easy.
We always walk cross park to reach the right bottom corner, where we shop at TKmaxx, Zara etc...
If We go to London we will stay here instead any other, because it is safe, dont want to have any more horrible night!
hope this helps!
Great travel to everyone!

Room Tip: Quiet rooms on top floor, far right from lift.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

my boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights in September and were a bit apprehensive about staying in a hostel. However, it turned out to be really great, our room (double suite) was nice and comfortable, with a tv, fridge, kettle, desk and nice decent sized bathroom. It was clean and we had a large window to open which looked out over the rooftops on the other side of the street. Staff were friendly and accomodating, many of them appeared to be travellers from other countries as well. There's internet access in the lobby (you have to pay for) and free wifi in the rooms, however our wifi connection didn't work. Breakfast (included in the room price) is not bad to get you started for the day- toast, cereal, ham, cheese and tea/coffee. Reception is open 24 hours. Overall, given london is such an expensive place to stay in, I would definatley recommend this place (in a private room, can't comment on the bunk bed rooms) it's only a 5-10 minute bus ride to Oxford street or a 2 minute walk to a tube station. The kabab/curry place across the road is delicious and the people there are super friendly.

Room Tip: suites upstairs facing the main road allow you to open the huge window and let in some fresh air whi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bo I Telemark, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was a nice and cheap hostel, you get a lot for a little money. The room we lived in had it`s own bathroom, so that was good as well! The only bad thing, the beds are a bit small if you are a tall person, but for a few nights thats just fine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a double private room with ensuite, & it was great. Clean, had linen supplied, tv, close to tube & buses, great location. There was a lift too, albeit slow, but that helped with bags given we were on 3rd floor!
Staff were helpful when asked, but generally disinterested & there wasn't much of a vibe to the place, but we just needed it too sleep so served its purpose!
Would stay again for a cheaper option than a hotel in London.

Room Tip: Get a private room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

This was the first hostel I have ever stayed at, and I thought it was ok, until I stayed in others that were far superior! The staff seem pretty disinterested, and ten pounds for a plastic room key seems pretty rough. I was in a four bed dorm, which was very poorly ventilated, the bathroom had no ventilation at all so the room was always hot and stuffy. It wasn't the cleanest either. However, the location is fantastic, it's in a great neighbourhood and close to three tube stations. I would book again as a last resort.

• Stayed September 2012
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Reading all the nasty reviews for this hostel I was expecting the worst but somehow my experience was absolutely beautiful. I lived in the room for 4 people with en suite bathroom. The room is small but cute and tidy. The rooms are cleaned everyday. The first three days I was alone and then two guys separately got in. The window didn’t open but I believe it was done for the safety of the guests. The sheets are clean and good. I don’t know why people kept on whining in the reviews on how terrible the rooms where, how there was not enough space, the sheets were dirty and blah blah. I experienced none of those. The room consisted of bathroom, two bunk beds, two small shelves, a mirror, hooks for clothes and a fan. It’s a bloody hostel not a 5 star luxury resort. And for a hostel it’s indeed very good. The only mild letdowns were as such: you couldn’t adjust the shower but I quickly got used to it. The water pressure was somewhat really low. The room could also use a chair but again it might be unnecessary)
The location is brilliant. The bus stop is just around the corner and you can go anywhere in the center from there. The nearest subway is Queensway, which is 5-8 minutes walk away. There you’ll also find a Sainsbury’s supermarket. Notting Hill is 15-20 minutes walk. Lancaster Gate station is 12-15 minutes by foot. And Hyde Park is straight ahead as well as Kensington Gardens. So beautiful! Alternatively I pre-booked bed and breakfast in Paddington but I am so glad I eventually ended up in this hostel.
The breakfast is exactly what you’d expect in a hostel: cornflakes, milk, sandwiches and jam. If you’re lucky you could even get nutella at times. There is also tea and coffee. It was more than enough for me to feel energized till the very late lunch.
But the most amazing thing about the hostel is its stuff. They are so helpful and friendly and answer all your questions. When I arrived there was actually a problem with my reservation and Cristopher, god bless his soul, sorted it out quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately I don’t remember the name of others but everyone is eager to help and give advice. I guess it just depends on you and how you react to certain stuff in live. If you gonna be a terrible person, the rest of the world will treat you like one.
Now as for the so-called hidden payments everyone keeps on talking. You have to pay 10 pounds for a deposit when you arrive, yes, but you get them back when you check out! Hairdryer is for a 5 pound deposit or more and you get them back the moment you return that device back. As for the towels, just bring your own, bloody hell! Even when I go to a 5 star resort I always get my towel with me. And 5 pounds for a towel is pretty reasonable price if you ask me. The locker does cost something but I don’t even know how much cause I’ve paid for my whole stay and the locker. And believe me, the whole price was way lower than I expected. The luggage storage is 2 pounds per piece of luggage. Again very reasonable indeed. And finally power adapter will cost you 4 pounds if you need one. Just out of interest I checked it out in the store, it was around 3 pounds. Wow, one pound, that’s a real rip off you guys. Seriously?
That was my first time in London and I will absolutely be back here in February next year. For people who found trillions of flaws, you should really set your priorities straight. If you need luxury then go earn some money and then stay in Hilton but of you need great service, reasonable price and good quality stay in this hostel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Smart Hyde Park View Hostel? Share your experiences!