“Not the best, even for a hostel.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Smart Hyde Park View Hostel to your Saves list
Smart Hyde Park View Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   16 Leinster Terrace, London W2 3EU, England   |
Ranked #259 of 692 Specialty Lodging in London
“Not the best, even for a hostel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was the first hostel I have ever stayed at, and I thought it was ok, until I stayed in others that were far superior! The staff seem pretty disinterested, and ten pounds for a plastic room key seems pretty rough. I was in a four bed dorm, which was very poorly ventilated, the bathroom had no ventilation at all so the room was always hot and stuffy. It wasn't the cleanest either. However, the location is fantastic, it's in a great neighbourhood and close to three tube stations. I would book again as a last resort.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Reading all the nasty reviews for this hostel I was expecting the worst but somehow my experience was absolutely beautiful. I lived in the room for 4 people with en suite bathroom. The room is small but cute and tidy. The rooms are cleaned everyday. The first three days I was alone and then two guys separately got in. The window didn’t open but I believe it was done for the safety of the guests. The sheets are clean and good. I don’t know why people kept on whining in the reviews on how terrible the rooms where, how there was not enough space, the sheets were dirty and blah blah. I experienced none of those. The room consisted of bathroom, two bunk beds, two small shelves, a mirror, hooks for clothes and a fan. It’s a bloody hostel not a 5 star luxury resort. And for a hostel it’s indeed very good. The only mild letdowns were as such: you couldn’t adjust the shower but I quickly got used to it. The water pressure was somewhat really low. The room could also use a chair but again it might be unnecessary)
The location is brilliant. The bus stop is just around the corner and you can go anywhere in the center from there. The nearest subway is Queensway, which is 5-8 minutes walk away. There you’ll also find a Sainsbury’s supermarket. Notting Hill is 15-20 minutes walk. Lancaster Gate station is 12-15 minutes by foot. And Hyde Park is straight ahead as well as Kensington Gardens. So beautiful! Alternatively I pre-booked bed and breakfast in Paddington but I am so glad I eventually ended up in this hostel.
The breakfast is exactly what you’d expect in a hostel: cornflakes, milk, sandwiches and jam. If you’re lucky you could even get nutella at times. There is also tea and coffee. It was more than enough for me to feel energized till the very late lunch.
But the most amazing thing about the hostel is its stuff. They are so helpful and friendly and answer all your questions. When I arrived there was actually a problem with my reservation and Cristopher, god bless his soul, sorted it out quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately I don’t remember the name of others but everyone is eager to help and give advice. I guess it just depends on you and how you react to certain stuff in live. If you gonna be a terrible person, the rest of the world will treat you like one.
Now as for the so-called hidden payments everyone keeps on talking. You have to pay 10 pounds for a deposit when you arrive, yes, but you get them back when you check out! Hairdryer is for a 5 pound deposit or more and you get them back the moment you return that device back. As for the towels, just bring your own, bloody hell! Even when I go to a 5 star resort I always get my towel with me. And 5 pounds for a towel is pretty reasonable price if you ask me. The locker does cost something but I don’t even know how much cause I’ve paid for my whole stay and the locker. And believe me, the whole price was way lower than I expected. The luggage storage is 2 pounds per piece of luggage. Again very reasonable indeed. And finally power adapter will cost you 4 pounds if you need one. Just out of interest I checked it out in the store, it was around 3 pounds. Wow, one pound, that’s a real rip off you guys. Seriously?
That was my first time in London and I will absolutely be back here in February next year. For people who found trillions of flaws, you should really set your priorities straight. If you need luxury then go earn some money and then stay in Hilton but of you need great service, reasonable price and good quality stay in this hostel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Location is pretty good, nice/safe area, right by Hyde Park and about a 3 minute walk to the nearest underground.
However, this place is very uncomfortable, smelly, small and unfriendly. Lots of hidden costs - eg had to pay extra per night for a locker in the rooms, which was kinda compulsory seeing there was no space on the floor + we were on the ground floor and there was a window basically onto the street that anybody could have entered our room through. Also had to pay to put our luggage into the storage room on our last day after checking out, which is fair enough but when we came back later to pick it up the (different) receptionist didn't even check our tags to make sure they were our suitcases... not safe + expensive.
Breakfast was cereal/white sandwich bread + jam + tea/coffee. Pretty standard, I've had better.
Staff unfriendly and unhelpful. Probably not all of them, but the one I had contact with seemed to hate life/his job.
Rooms tiny, we stayed in the 6 bed room which was 2 lots of 3 beds stacked on top of eachother, with NO space between them for luggage/etc. Bathroom unclean, water often cold.
They advertise free internet - this is only for one hour a day, after which you have to pay.

I understand that London is expensive and space is tight so I wasn't expecting much but I'll be trying somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Mundford, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I haven't been to many hostels, but I'll bet this one is much like the rest of them. A bit grimy, full of "exotic" smells, and tight sleeping arrangements. That said, it wasn't terrible, I mean you don't use a hostel for the comfort, you just need somewhere cheap to sleep it off. They had showers that put out consistent hot yet not scolding water, plenty of sinks and toilets to use. The bed seemed clean and the sheets were clean, however the blanket they gave me was damp and smelled like a dead raccoon wrapped in a dirty diaper. Otherwise the bed was a bed and it had a curtain you could draw to shut out the light. The location was great, Sainsbury's was a block away and a Tesco was too. This hostel had a kitchen, with two refrigerates w/ freezers, so you can eat cheap as well. Right across from Kensington Gardens and Hyde park, and I did talk to a constable "cop" and you can drink in the park legally! My only real draw-back I had was keeping a charge on my cell phone, the outlets were somewhat challenging to come by. There were a few in my room but seeing how I was only there when I was sleeping, I didn't like the idea of my phone being outside out my reach...don't kid yourself, there are sketchy folk out there that will "nick" a $500 phone in a heartbeat! Over all great for the price. I used Hostelbookers to get the bed for dirt cheap. and it worked well.

Room Tip: Take your valuable with you, don't leave them in the room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Jonkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed in a private room with my friends. It was a very nice and clean room, including a very nice and clean bathroom. The staff was friendly and helpful, and were willing to answer any questions at any time of day or night.

The hotel is not far at all from Hyde Park, but it's a fair walk from Paddington station. The hostel has washing facilities, which is excellent if you are away for a while, but don't want to pack a lot. There is no hairdryer or iron in the room, but you can borrow one for a fully refundable deposit. You also get one hour of free wifi per day.

The best thing about the hotel was the standard of the room and bathroom. The worst is the location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here the other day in one of the triple rooms and was very happy. About a 5 minute walk from the Lancaster Gate Tube Station and many bus lines. Has a working lift and the room had been recently renovated. Room was not big but good for what we needed and had comfy beds! The only bad things were that there was only 1 plug for the 3 of us to charge our electronics unless we unplugged the TV and the breakfast is pretty sparse. We needed to borrow the hairdryer and it was very easy to call downstairs and leave a deposit with them while we used it. There is wifi but its only free for an hour in a 24 hour period so use the time wisely! I would definitely stay here again but wish it was a little bit closer to Paddington Station.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Booked 3 nights in this hostel. The reception laddy spoke hardly understandable English. She assigned me to Bed 3, which later i used 15 mins to find there is no number on the bed. And she didnt tell me i cld rent a locker in room, i found out next day.
The room is very small, two 3-level Ness with 6 ppl. There is no hook in the bathroom! So inconvenient! Have to put stuff on the toilet seat. The shower water is small.
I decided to move out the next day and checked out. The guy was so unfriendly.
Never would come back for sure.
It is located in a good neighbor, but there are alot hostels and hostels in that area. Find a decent one!

• Stayed July 2012