Reading all the nasty reviews for this hostel I was expecting the worst but somehow my experience was absolutely beautiful. I lived in the room for 4 people with en suite bathroom. The room is small but cute and tidy. The rooms are cleaned everyday. The first three days I was alone and then two guys separately got in. The window didn’t open but I believe it was done for the safety of the guests. The sheets are clean and good. I don’t know why people kept on whining in the reviews on how terrible the rooms where, how there was not enough space, the sheets were dirty and blah blah. I experienced none of those. The room consisted of bathroom, two bunk beds, two small shelves, a mirror, hooks for clothes and a fan. It’s a bloody hostel not a 5 star luxury resort. And for a hostel it’s indeed very good. The only mild letdowns were as such: you couldn’t adjust the shower but I quickly got used to it. The water pressure was somewhat really low. The room could also use a chair but again it might be unnecessary)
The location is brilliant. The bus stop is just around the corner and you can go anywhere in the center from there. The nearest subway is Queensway, which is 5-8 minutes walk away. There you’ll also find a Sainsbury’s supermarket. Notting Hill is 15-20 minutes walk. Lancaster Gate station is 12-15 minutes by foot. And Hyde Park is straight ahead as well as Kensington Gardens. So beautiful! Alternatively I pre-booked bed and breakfast in Paddington but I am so glad I eventually ended up in this hostel.
The breakfast is exactly what you’d expect in a hostel: cornflakes, milk, sandwiches and jam. If you’re lucky you could even get nutella at times. There is also tea and coffee. It was more than enough for me to feel energized till the very late lunch.
But the most amazing thing about the hostel is its stuff. They are so helpful and friendly and answer all your questions. When I arrived there was actually a problem with my reservation and Cristopher, god bless his soul, sorted it out quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately I don’t remember the name of others but everyone is eager to help and give advice. I guess it just depends on you and how you react to certain stuff in live. If you gonna be a terrible person, the rest of the world will treat you like one.
Now as for the so-called hidden payments everyone keeps on talking. You have to pay 10 pounds for a deposit when you arrive, yes, but you get them back when you check out! Hairdryer is for a 5 pound deposit or more and you get them back the moment you return that device back. As for the towels, just bring your own, bloody hell! Even when I go to a 5 star resort I always get my towel with me. And 5 pounds for a towel is pretty reasonable price if you ask me. The locker does cost something but I don’t even know how much cause I’ve paid for my whole stay and the locker. And believe me, the whole price was way lower than I expected. The luggage storage is 2 pounds per piece of luggage. Again very reasonable indeed. And finally power adapter will cost you 4 pounds if you need one. Just out of interest I checked it out in the store, it was around 3 pounds. Wow, one pound, that’s a real rip off you guys. Seriously?
That was my first time in London and I will absolutely be back here in February next year. For people who found trillions of flaws, you should really set your priorities straight. If you need luxury then go earn some money and then stay in Hilton but of you need great service, reasonable price and good quality stay in this hostel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Smart Backpackers! Be smart - stay Smart!Thank you for choosing the Hyde Park View! We aim to provide comfortable, stylish, convenient and affordable accommodation in Central London at a price that can't be beat.We reside in a partially-converted three-star hotel, featuring full en-suite bathrooms in every room. We are the only hostel in London to offer you this spectacular advantage! Our classic, listed building is set on a quiet residential street in the heart of London's bohemian Bayswater, one of London's most beautiful districts.Our private rooms, including doubles, twins, our family triple and quad suites, are three-star accredited and offer in-room colour-televisions with cable reception, direct-dial international phones, full linen services including daily bed making and towels, coffee and tea making facilities, free personal safes and complimentary soaps.There are security lockers in the rooms, available for €1.50 per day key rental.We are also regularly health and safety regulated by the local government, ensuring a comfortable stay for you!Our hostel features free breakfast, FREE WIFI, free linens and a free map! We have currency exchange and on-site self-service laundy facilities. Just ask at reception for pricing details. We also offer free tourist information and 24hr assistance.With a 24-hour guest-only bar that offers drinks specials, theme nights, a high-definition 42 inch plasma television with Sky satellite reception for the sport and movie nights, as well as happy hour from 4pm to midnight, you won't be bored at the Hyde Park View.If you prefer, there's also a spacious common room with comfortable sofas, a colour TV with Sky satellite reception and a book exchange to keep you busy.Our entertainment directors spend all day thinking of ways for you to enjoy yourselves; from movie and game nights to pub crawls, we're there to make sure you enjoy your stay.Of course, even with all of that you may be thinking about your lunch and dinner. Just down the road, we have two eateries that will set your mouth to watering and also keep your budget well sorted.Our Pizza Factory restaurant features more than just pizza. With a menu full of enticing Italian-influenced dishes, we will satisfy your appetite without depleting your funds. And if you plan to visit the attractions of London, save yourself time and money by purchasing your attraction tickets right at reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Agoda, HostelWorld, Priceline, HostelBookers, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Smart Hyde Park View Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Smart Hyde Park View Hotel London
- Smart Hyde Park View Hostel London, England