“It is what it is, a hostel.” 3 of 5 stars

Smart Hyde Park View Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   16 Leinster Terrace, London W2 3EU, England   |
Ranked #245 of 721 Specialty Lodging in London
Mundford, England, United Kingdom
“It is what it is, a hostel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I haven't been to many hostels, but I'll bet this one is much like the rest of them. A bit grimy, full of "exotic" smells, and tight sleeping arrangements. That said, it wasn't terrible, I mean you don't use a hostel for the comfort, you just need somewhere cheap to sleep it off. They had showers that put out consistent hot yet not scolding water, plenty of sinks and toilets to use. The bed seemed clean and the sheets were clean, however the blanket they gave me was damp and smelled like a dead raccoon wrapped in a dirty diaper. Otherwise the bed was a bed and it had a curtain you could draw to shut out the light. The location was great, Sainsbury's was a block away and a Tesco was too. This hostel had a kitchen, with two refrigerates w/ freezers, so you can eat cheap as well. Right across from Kensington Gardens and Hyde park, and I did talk to a constable "cop" and you can drink in the park legally! My only real draw-back I had was keeping a charge on my cell phone, the outlets were somewhat challenging to come by. There were a few in my room but seeing how I was only there when I was sleeping, I didn't like the idea of my phone being outside out my reach...don't kid yourself, there are sketchy folk out there that will "nick" a $500 phone in a heartbeat! Over all great for the price. I used Hostelbookers to get the bed for dirt cheap. and it worked well.

Room Tip: Take your valuable with you, don't leave them in the room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Jonkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed in a private room with my friends. It was a very nice and clean room, including a very nice and clean bathroom. The staff was friendly and helpful, and were willing to answer any questions at any time of day or night.

The hotel is not far at all from Hyde Park, but it's a fair walk from Paddington station. The hostel has washing facilities, which is excellent if you are away for a while, but don't want to pack a lot. There is no hairdryer or iron in the room, but you can borrow one for a fully refundable deposit. You also get one hour of free wifi per day.

The best thing about the hotel was the standard of the room and bathroom. The worst is the location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here the other day in one of the triple rooms and was very happy. About a 5 minute walk from the Lancaster Gate Tube Station and many bus lines. Has a working lift and the room had been recently renovated. Room was not big but good for what we needed and had comfy beds! The only bad things were that there was only 1 plug for the 3 of us to charge our electronics unless we unplugged the TV and the breakfast is pretty sparse. We needed to borrow the hairdryer and it was very easy to call downstairs and leave a deposit with them while we used it. There is wifi but its only free for an hour in a 24 hour period so use the time wisely! I would definitely stay here again but wish it was a little bit closer to Paddington Station.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Booked 3 nights in this hostel. The reception laddy spoke hardly understandable English. She assigned me to Bed 3, which later i used 15 mins to find there is no number on the bed. And she didnt tell me i cld rent a locker in room, i found out next day.
The room is very small, two 3-level Ness with 6 ppl. There is no hook in the bathroom! So inconvenient! Have to put stuff on the toilet seat. The shower water is small.
I decided to move out the next day and checked out. The guy was so unfriendly.
Never would come back for sure.
It is located in a good neighbor, but there are alot hostels and hostels in that area. Find a decent one!

• Stayed July 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Arrived with 4 of my friends for a 4 night stay for Wireless festival. We weren't told about a £10 deposit for the key card and it took an age for the staff to get the right price for what we were meant to pay for our stay. Room is reasonable enough but pretty small for 5 people. Cannot stress enough how RUDE the staff are, any question you ask is met with a response which makes you look like you've asked the most stupid question in the world. Really unhelpful, poor attitude and just lacking any form of customer service skills whatsoever. Would not stay here again. Only positive was it was a short walk for us to the festival.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank leanneyk87

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed in this hostel with 4 friends as we needed to be in close proximity to Hyde Park for a festival. On arrival we were told that we had to pay a £10 deposit each for the keys. This wasn't a problem but the staff were outright rude and unhelpful about it. When we arrived back one evening we were questioned as to why we all did not have a key on us. Why would each of us need a key to only be returning at the same time? It seemed silly really that we were told we must always carry a key on us individually. However, the rooms are clean but very basic and there is a severe lack of plugs. We had one plug with 2 sockets in the entire room. The rooms are also rather small for what you pay - 2 bunk beds in a 6 person room so you can imagine the height of the bed on the 3rd layer of the bunks. It is also rather noisy (but I admit we were also quite loud some nights). One thing that this hostel does have going for it is the location. It is close to the Queensway, Bayswater and Lancaster Gate tube stations which are great for getting about. Upon checkout, there was a massive queue with only one person on the desk. We were also told that if we wanted to leave our bags it would be £2 per bag for a space in the luggage room. I would have considered staying here again if it hasn't been for the rudeness of the staff and the small rooms. There was a loud argument between members of staff which was a total put off and very bad for customer service in my opinion and they were also rude to a man who was confused about what bed was his in a room. There is really no excuse for it!

Avoid!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank LanBanan22
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My question when I entered my room was, "How can you fit 9 people (with luggage) in one small and tiny room?"
The space is just too small! If everyone is not in their bed, the common space in the room is crowded and you can hardly have space to move around. The room has poor ventilation (small window) so it gets extremely stuffy and warm especially when all 9 people are in the room. We have to open the door the let fresh air in.

The free breakfast in the morning is so-so. They only give 1 free hour of wifi everyday but it's quite buggy sometimes; and you can only use it in the dining room and reception/pub area. The signal is too weak to reach the rooms.

Book this hostel only if you're desperate, on a shoestring and extremely not fussy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Clerkenwell
4.0 of 5 stars 1,478 reviews
Raglan Hotel
#700 of 1,059 in London
3.0 of 5 stars 378 reviews

Been to Smart Hyde Park View Hostel? Share your experiences!