“Glad it was a 1 night stay!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury

You added Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury to your Saves list
Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 Gower Street | Bloomsbury, London WC1E 6HJ, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #831 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Northern Ireland
“Glad it was a 1 night stay!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Due to a cancelled journey, we had to book a hotel in this part of London at short notice, most hotels were booked up so we were glad to get a room here.

Ok, firstly I'll accept that it is the middle of London, so prices are going to be high and space is going to be at a premium. However, it still seems ridiculous having to pay such a high price for one night in a hotel of this standard, with such small rooms.

The hotel is really cramped, with tiny staircases and rooms which are all laid out like a maze, if there was a fire in a building like this it would be a nightmare, but being such an old building there is not much can be done about it. We were on the top floor and to get to our floor we had to pass through corridors that stank of cigarette smoke.

The room itself was small but reasonably comfortable and the bathroom was actually recently refurbished which was good.

On check-in we informed the 2 members of staff at the desk that we would be leaving early in the morning around 7am, as we had paid for bed & breakfast we asked if something could be arranged for us to have a quick continental breakfast or cereal before we left. They said it would be no problem. When we were about to leave at 7, I went to the breakfast room to grab something to eat, everything was locked away and there was nothing to eat, I went to reception and one of the guys i'd spoke to was sitting sleeping in his chair at reception; as the taxi was waiting outside I didnt even bother waking him, we just left.

Overall, I certainly wouldn't choose to go back to this hotel if I could avoid it.

Room Tip: a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Once again, I enjoyed my short stay with the Cavendish. It's not really a 'hotel', however, but an extremely small place to stay that includes a registration desk in a room with a sitting area. if you are seeking extremely comfortable, spacious accommodations with all the extras, this place is not for you. But - if you are looking for a very inexpensive place to stay (you're in London, folks!) in a fantastic neighborhood around the corner from the Goodge Tube, restaurants, fruit stands, and anything else you might need, this is it. And free wifi!

The reception answered all of my questions, held my bags on the last day, and arranged for my transportation to the airport in the wee morning hours.

Room Tip: I'm only 5'3'' so the little cabin rooms/single rooms suit me just fine.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I recently returned to Canada from a holiday in Britain. My sister booked a two night stay at the Cavendish Hotel. Due to a family emergency we were forced to cancel the second night. The cancellation was done via Hotels.com with whom the booking had been made. We were told by the hotel that we could not cancel with the hotel direct. Due to total incompetence on the part of Hotels.com the cancellation was not passed on to the hotel and we were charged for the second night. The cancellation was made well within the time frame stated by Hotels.com, who admitted they had made the error. Our cancellation call had been recorded; it was well within the time and they could not deny it. A senior staff member at the hotel, which was not at fault in the cancellation process, was extremely intimidating and unpleasant when we tried to explain the situation. My sister, who is unwell, was forced to stand for one hour trying to reach hotels.com. They did let her use the 'phone but didn't offer her a chair. This was not a pleasant experience.
The hotel stay was adequate but the senior staff definitely need training in very basic customer service. My sister is still trying to obtain her refund from hotels.com, who I am telling everyone I know never to use again. The are highly experienced in the "run-around" and we wondered whether there is a big game going on between hotels and hotels.com to the benefit of everyone but the customer. Why else does hotels.com make it very difficult to contact them about customer service???

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very poor hotel. Dirty. Appalling service from horrid management who don't want to know. The only positive thing I can say about this place is that its location is good, being just a few minutes walk from Euston Station. There are plenty of other places to stay. Avoid.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed for one night on the 20/6/13 on arrival they took immediate payment and I was allocated a cell in the basement. The room was like a sauna and the fan that was provided was for a word like the Hotel knackered I was on a tight schedule and needed a quick shower before heading off to my meeting.

The shower tray drained so slowly that I was in danger of flooding the bathroom, I made my concerns known to the reseption who allocated me a room on the 1st floor. I was moved from the basement cell to solitary confinment the room so so small that I had to sit on the toilet sideways.

The road noise was constant and if you shut the window you turned the room into yet another sauna no fan provided as I think the only one they had was broken??..At 5am enough was enough after virtually no sleep I got up packed and walked to Kings Cross station for a coffee and some peace and quiet I would rather sleep in a doorway than stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Somerset, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've stayed regularly at the Cavendish on business and have literally dashed in and out. The staff have always been reasonably attentive, the rooms well furnished and room service is prompt. the price is normal for this area of town and the standard is neither good nor bad - plumb in the middle for a London business hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The hotel took a card number for me for a provisional booking, after telling me that the car park was across the road from the hotel. After looking on Google maps I found the car park to be in a different hotel, 15 minutes away from where the hotel itself is. I called back 10 minutes later to let the guy know that i wanted to cancel as the car park was too far away. The guy behind the counter then proceeded to argue with me for 10 minutes that the car park was across the road, and there is all of a sudden a no cancellation policy. The card number given 10 minutes ago had to be charged, and I had to take the room. I work in retail, and by law you are allowed to cancel almost anything you buy unless you sign a contract to say otherwise. I told the guy he was being unreasonable, and that this isn't a good way to treat customers, 10 minutes after all isn't a long time to cancel a booking. Anyway the guy refused so I had to call my credit card company to get a refund, and leave lots of bad reviews about the shoddy service received from The Cavendish Hotel in Bloomsbury....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury? Share your experiences!