“Smallest room I have ever been given! AVOID!” 1 of 5 stars

Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury
75 Gower Street | Bloomsbury, London WC1E 6HJ, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #842 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Cardiff
“Smallest room I have ever been given! AVOID!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I was given room 203. As I opened the door, I actually thought I had walked in to a cupboard. You could not swing a cat in this room! I have seen bigger rabbit hutches. I am serious! See my photos! Being 6' 2" I need a decent size bed. This one i could not fit in to. The room was also dirty. Marks on the walls and dust on top of the wardrobe!

I did go and complain to the two guys in reception and they told me I wuld have to pay £20 for another room and that I should count myself lucky I had been given a double bed!

On a plus, ther was a TV with a decent picture and free wifi although the connection was very slow and not good enough for me to use Netflicks to watch a film.

The breakfast was a full English but very disappointing.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

This hotel is only about a 5 minute walk from Picadilly Circus which puts it in a really good location. The hotel itself was very clean and comfortable and the service was good. Breakfast was good as well. We only stayed here for one night and didnt eat here in the evening but everything that we saw was of a high standard, couldn't fault it.

Room Tip: Try to pick a room at the back of the hotel, too ensure that your room is not noisy.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

close to underground, in a quiet street. near to many cafes, good to breakfast. You can go to almost places on foot.

Room Tip: ask for a south or east view. I took a west view, to the side street, and every night I wake up beca...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
maastricht
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

i stayed one night at the cavendisch in Gower street, close to the St Pancras Eurostar terminal. the hotel takes advantage of this presence to charge about 200 pounds per night. for that price you might expect a lot but it's an awfully dingy, smelly place. it reeked of cigarettes in my non-smoking room. everything was dirty, and the matress was terribly worn out. disgusting hotel. avoid it!

Room Tip: don't!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

My colleague booked this over the internet, and it looked OK in the pictures......when we turned up, it was very different in reality......worn out carpets, dirty marks all over the walls, and an "unusual" smell.

Although they offered alternative rooms when I said the original rooms weren't acceptable, these were still well below standard....and it's not as if we were expecting The Ritz for the money!

The receptionist became rude when I said we wouldn't be staying and they shouldn't take payment from our cards....he then started going on about terms and conditions of booking and cancelling with less than 24 hours' notice, so he would have to charge us, and became very dismissive......Terms and conditions cut both ways, and they clearly didn't meet them from the quality (or lack) of service they were delivering.

I said I would contact the Trading Standards Office if they charged me, and asked for names of owners and senior managers to whom I could complain. This seems to have done the trick as they didn't take payment off my card.

The receptionist tried to suggest we were being unreasonable, as "the internet photos showed the rooms accurately as the colours were all the same".... and they had "guests who have been coming back for 10 years or more". Whilst I can't argue the colours weren't the same, I would argue about returning.....

My recommendation would be to do what we did in the end.....avoid it like the plague, and for literally a few pounds more, stay at the Premier Inn 5 mins down the road by Euston Station!

Devon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last minute and it wasnt cheap. It was dirty, no propper bedding, the public areas vere tired and worn. Staff not interested in helping and showed lack of concern for customer anxiety, yet it felt like they were embarassed. I stay in London every week and this hotel is not worth the stars or money. The carpets were filthy and it sadens me that this standard is allowed. The shower was broken, no tea spoons for tea tray and the sills and fire place were absolutely filthy. please think twice bfore you stay here.

Kiev, Ukraine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

How on earth this one could claim 3 stars? This hotel is so below basic sanitary norms that I am surprised it still survives. The only explanation would be people confusing it with the other Cavendish (in Mayfair) and booking in this disgrace of a hotel service.

No lift. This really should be written on their website in big bold red.
Single room is not big enough to fit a suitcase.
Obviously the personnel of this hotel thinks that suitcases are living beings, so they will walk upstairs on their own, and if you are travelling with a suitcase you should book a double.

Audibility is great – you can hear everything your neighbors are doing!
I certainly could appreciate traditional folk singing outside at 3 a.m. in the morning. It was too cold to sleep, anyway - the heater in my room was not working. To get it working, you should go to reception and ask – they will switch it on for you for a couple of hours. This is not something that I gladly do in the middle of the night.

Blanket in the room had no changeable cover over it. It was DIRTY.

The carpet on the floor was DIRTY. I was staying there for 6 nights and the room was not cleaned even once. I wonder if they know how to use a vacuum cleaner at all. Once I dropped something on the floor and had to look under the table to pick it up. I wish I had not.

There was no hot water in the shower – only warm (kind of). It does take 10 minutes to rinse off shampoo from your hair because the water is barely streaming.
Shower cabin is for S size people only. If you are wearing M – you will not fit in there. If you are L, you will not be able to make it to the bathroom at all.

One brilliant morning reception called me to inform that the shower in my room is leaking on the floor below. I bet this happens with them on regular basis.

On their website their advertise “free high speed wifi”. This does not exist. Computer detects variety of connections like HotelCavendish, Hotel Cavendish, HotelCavendish1, Hotel Cavendish 1a, HotelCavendish1a but none of them works.

Don't ask me why I stayed there for that long, ok? Just do not repeat this mistake yourself.

And price-wise: single room was 80 per night. In Travelodge Covent Garden (where I typically stay when coming on my own) you can get double for 70 if you book in advance.

Room Tip: Book in the other hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury? Share your experiences!