Spur of the moment last minute decision to treat the wife. Found a great offer for the Apex on Secret Escapes, went to the hotel web site to check it out and found an even better deal direct with the hotel.
It's in a great location, just a few minutes walk from Fenchurch street and Tower Hill stations. Our welcome was friendly, efficient and helpful and they even gave us a £10 voucher to spend in the hotel bar or restaurant. The room was spotless and well equipped, the towels were big and fluffy, the telly was huge as was the bed and the view from the top floor outside balcony was lovely too.
We had an evening meal included in the price, we booked our dinner time and arrived promptly, The service again was excellent, the food from the set menu was well presented, lovely and just enough.
The Breakfast (In with the price) was also excellent with a large choice of cooked options and plenty to choose from for the continental option and once again the service was prompt, friendly and efficient.
Check out isn't until 12.00 so there is no rush to stuff your breakfast, pack and leave, there's even time to go back to your room for a chill out to let breakfast settle before you leave, The receptionist was very helpful at check out and they even looked after our luggage until later that evening so we didn't have to drag it round with us all day.
The bed! It was worn and had a bowl shaped mattress, I woke up after only a couple of hours sleep with a painful back and then couldn't go back to sleep for about 3 hours leaving me totally worn out for the next days sight seeing. The wife slept peacefully all night without any problem though.
They did add a "Discretionary" 12.5% tip to the bill which I think is rather cheeky and rather high, it used to be a 10% tip most places in Europe and by adding it to the bill doesn't make it very discretionary. It would seem this has now become "The Norm" in London though. Would be nice to think the hotel paid their staff enough to earn a living without relying on a forced "Discretionary" tip to top up their wages, or perhaps it's just greed? We didn't pay anything as everything was all in the original price paid but just thought that it was a bit cheeky so worth a mention for any "Old fashioned Brits who care to visit.
To sum up:
Great hotel, great price and value, extremely great staff (None of whom were apparently English), lovely rooms, lovely food. Don't go if you suffer with back problems.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the city, close to Tower Bridge, this contemporary four star deluxe hotel has 179 stylish en-suite rooms. Designed for comfort, the rooms include widescreen TV, large desk, Free Wi-Fi internet access and local calls, ground coffee and selected teas, specially blended toiletries, iron and ironing board. The stylish bathrooms offer bath with separate walk-in power showers. Hotel facilities include Addendum Bar and Restaurant, Event space for up to 70 delegates and Gym. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Priceline, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, LondonMarketing.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Apex City of London reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex City Of London Hotel London
- Apex City Hotel London
- Apex City London Hotel
- Apex Hotel London
- Apex City Of London England