“Great stay, great value.” 4 of 5 stars

Book at premierinn.com
Ranked #148 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
East Hartford, Connecticut
“Great stay, great value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

My wife, my two children and I just completed a 9 night stay here and we were very happy with it. I picked it after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and I'm very glad I did.

The staff were all very friendly and check in was very prompt. Our room was on the 1st floor, in the interior. It overlooked the small courtyard in the middle of the property. The room was very clean. It was also incredibly quiet, especially for a city hotel.

We had what was called a family room. It was two twin beds attached together, and on either side was a mattress for each kid. The kids actually thought that was great, compared to having to share a bed. The beds were clean and comfortable. The kids had no problems sleeping on their mattresses. I was there in April when it was pretty cool, and I had no problems with the heating system. I can't comment on the AC.

With four of us in the room with luggage for 10 days, it was a little tight but we didn't have any problems. We primarily used the room just to sleep after long days of sightseeing. The room had a nice flat screen TV with an ok selection of channels.

I have read pros and cons regarding the breakfast, and I have mixed feelings. We had it a few days. Since one adult could pay the 7.50 and the kids ate free, it was one of the cheapest choices. Here's my note of caution - I'm American, and what I consider standard for our breakfast buffets wasn't at this one. No pancakes, waffles, french toast sticks or doughnuts. The choices were good, but I guess more traditionally UK. That wasn't so good for the kids.

There is a Costa coffee shop just outside the lobby, a MacDonalds, Starbucks and KFC really close by. There are also a number of other restaurants in the area, plus places in the Kings Cross and St. Pancras stations. The neighborhood seems to have a lot of construction going on as it appears to be growing to support the arrival of Eurostar at St. Pancras. My wife and I felt completely safe in the area, and we were out past 11 on some nights. The convenience to the rail and Underground stations (<5 minutes) was excellent and a huge plus.

The few quirks:
- The lighting (as others mentioned) is a little dim. It wouldn't be great if you were doing a lot of reading or writing.
- There is a lack of storage. There was a closet and a series of shelfs, but no drawers. The room had a great long desk, but it seems a waste not to include some drawers with it.
- The step into the tub is (as others have mentioned) pretty high. I wouldn't recommend this room for the elderly or anyone who would be challenged with this step.
- No alarm clock in the room. You ask at the desk and they give you a small travel version for the duration of the stay.

Overall, I was really pleased with the facility. I thought the overall value was hard to beat. This was one of the most affordable hotels I could find that was well rated and within easy access of the London sights. This is not a five-star hotel. If you want amenities, look elsewhere. If you want a clean, comfortable room, with a great location and a reasonable (for London) price, I highly recommend this.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, price
  • Disliked — Poor lighting, having to pay for internet access
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

I stayed here twice this month (April 2008) - once on the way from London to Paris and once on the way back.
The first time was brilliant. I need internet access and although it was £12 for 24 hours, at least I could get on the net.

A nice little TV, nice furniture, good breakfast. Avoid dinner in the restaurant - the dinner was ridiculously overpriced and absolutely disgusting, I ordered fish cakes, which looked and tasted like onion bhajis. Greasy, nasty little things. I had one bite and was almost sick.

The second time, I was out in a different room, where most of the TV channels didn't work, the kettle didn't work (it had a failed safety inspection do not use sticker), the toilet door didn't close and the toilet smelled upon arrival. Not pleasant at all. For £125 for one night (BREAKFAST NOT INCLUDED) I wasn't impressed.

It's an alright hotel if you just need to stay there for one night and a very convenient location (I was getting the Eurostar to Paris - just a 5 minute walk from the station), but it's definitely not worth £125 a night. And it's an extra £7.50 for breakfast. All I can say is that it's a rip off, but alright if you;re desperate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A lot. it wasn;t that great
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights over a friday and saturday night and paid £90 a night on their own website. Thought this price was ok for London.

I picked this hotel as it was close to Euston Railway station, we walked there with some cases with wheels, about 10 minutes. There is a tube about 50 yards from the front of the hotel(Kings Cross) which we used a lot.

The welcome I received from Victoria was outstanding just so friendly and gave the impression that nothing was too much trouble.

The family room we had was clean and fairly standard, the beds for kids were mattresses pulled out from the large main bed, the kids said not too uncomfortable.

We had breakfast at the hotel which was excellent, the porridge is the best I have ever had and again the staff here are just so helpful. We had to wait 5 minutes for a table on the Sunday morning but this was ok and well organised.

They do provide wifi at the hotel but as there was a charge I went to a Mcdonalds about 30 seconds away where they offer free wifi.

Check out was quick and they held our bags for us for about 6 hours. Watched the football on Sky at the hotel bar.

Overall another great stay at a Premier Inn, recommended.

• Liked — Staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

The best place to stay in London!! Perfect for families and perfect to get to the tube considering The main tube station is only 2 blocks away!! The breakfast is fabulous and keeps you full for hours and added plus considering the american dollor is so weak!

• Liked — location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

Stayed just one night. Room clean. Staff were very efficient and very courteous. Room we were given (room 8) was near the staff rooms so we had a door that shut every few minutes and was very noisy! Got very little sleep because of it.
Very central for all attractions though and 5 mins from Euston.

• Liked — very helpful staff
  • Disliked — noisy room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I have stayed at 3 Premier Inns and found them all to be great values, but this facility was the best of the three. The location near King's Cross provides easy access to trains & tubes. There are many eateries in the area and a Marks & Spencer in the St Pancras station.

My room faced the interior building court and was very quite. As with most Premier Inns, the room was large clean, and fresh. Why would you stay anywhere else when visiting London or other UK cities?

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

Our family of four (girls 6 and 11) spent three nights here over spring vacation. This is a very pleasant hotel that's great for families. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They even found a dentist for us on Saturday, when our young daughter suffered a minor emergency.

The rooms are very small (think cruise ship cabin) but very clean and comfortable. The beds have duvet style covers, so that all bedding your body touches has been laundered. No dirty bedspreads!

The resturant was pretty good and the prices were reasonable, even by american standards. King's Cross isn't the best area but it's a short tube ride anywhere in London and a short walk to the British Museum. For a family, this is an outstanding place to stay.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, and convienient.
  • Disliked — Small rooms.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Premier Inn London King's Cross? Share your experiences!