“One of the best budget hotels in London so far” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chrysos Hotel

You added Chrysos Hotel to your Saves list
Chrysos Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 - 27 Norfolk Square | Paddington, London W2 1RX, England   |
Ranked #683 of 1,055 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“One of the best budget hotels in London so far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed at Chrysos Hotel for three nights just about a week ago and it was fantastic. I have stayed at various London budget hotels before, and this was probably the best value for my money. A word to American travelers: this hotel is a typical European hotel; if you are looking for a spacious room with a mini-fridge and a buffet breakfast, this is not the hotel for you; however, if you're looking for a minimal-frills hotel on a budget, this might just be your place. Ideally situated approximately 5 minutes walking distance away from Paddington Station and along the gorgeous Norfolk Square, the hotel could not be easier to reach by mass transit. The nearest cross street (Praed Street) is just a block and a half away and along Praed and the small side streets, there are many dining options of varying prices and cuisine. Additionally, Paddington has a small mall in it, which has a couple cafes and a Mark and Spencer's, as well as a Sainsburys, which is nice if you're in the mood for a small snack. Along Norfolk Square, there are a lot of hotels of different prices and qualities. I was actually originally booked at a different hotel, which did not meet the standards advertised, so I manged to find this pearl. The staff was incredibly helpful and always available. Just after entering the door after making my reservation, they offered to help me plan out my trip, transportation and dining. They were truly wonderful and made for a pleasant journey downstairs at any time. I stayed in a twin room. It wasn't spacious, but had enough space for my suitcase, bags and then a little more. My room was comprised of a desk, wardrobe, two beds, nightstand, chair and T.V., as well as a phone. The room was pristine and the carpets were freshly vacuumed. I faced out toward Norfolk Square and had a wonderful view and left the window open for most of my stay. I had my own door from the hallway to the room (some share a fire door) and this kept the noise from the hallway at nonexistent levels. I could barely hear the noise of the guests above me, which was definitely a plus. The beds were comfortable and the T.V. worked fine. However, I was on the third floor and had no WiFi capabilities in the room. My solution was to either go sit on the comfy sofas in the lobby or sit on the stairs, a little closer to the ground floor. It wasn't an inconvenience to me, but it might be for others. There were quite a few T.V. channels and it was a nice T.V., mounted on the wall. The room also had a little coffee/tea maker, which was lovely. The bathroom was clean and worked excellently. I had great water pressure and complimentary shampoo and body wash packets. Just a warning: bring a washcloth and hair dryer. Breakfast, either a full English breakfast or a continental breakfast, is suitable, but nothing fancy. The English breakfast comprised of baked beans, bacon, sausage and a sunny-side up egg. The continental breakfast is a basket of toasted bread and an assortment of jams and butter, which the option of cereals as well. The wait staff was lovely and very hospitable, offering me coffee the second I entered the restaurant, which was much appreciated. The breakfast will keep you full until lunch, but it's nothing extraordinary.
All in all, it was an excellent stay at a lovely hotel. It's not the Waldorf-Astoria of London, but you're not in London to see the hotel: you're there to see the city. The location can't be beat and I encountered only friendly faces. I will certainly book here the next time I visit.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less of a wifi signal The view from the front onto Norfolk Square Park is lovely...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Chrysos_Hotel, General Manager at Chrysos Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Anne,

Thank you for your kind review about Chrysos Hotel. It is true we try to provide the best service and product for a three star city hotel to all our guests. Your words mean a lot to us, and we will of course welcome you back with the same friendly hospitality!

Look forward to accommodating you once again.

Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very nice and friendly staff both at the reception and breakfast room. The hotel room I stayed in is very clean and has all the facilities I needed including a good pressure shower and new towels as well as free tea and coffee facilities. Good value for money and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front garden have a nice view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Chrysos_Hotel, General Manager at Chrysos Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Anto,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to read your kind and positive words about our service and hospitality. All members of staff try their best to make all our customers feel at home, and we appreciate the positive feedback.

We all look forward to accommodating you back for a third time in the near future!

Odessa, Ukraine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed two nights at this hotel and for sure will never book again. Dilapidated room and shower. In my room didn’t work TV and wi-fi; in the room of my friend didn’t work wi-fi, phone and one evening there was no light. When I informed guy at the reception about all a.m. the only reaction was: OK. Rather poor breakfast.
Location is the only advantage of this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Chrysos_Hotel, General Manager at Chrysos Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Oleg,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

I am sorry you felt we did not meet your expectations. All rooms are of standard quality and wifi is only available advertised free of charge in the lobby, bar, and breakfast rooms.

I am also quite surprised to hear your TV did not work, as all TVs have been recently changed to flat screen HD LCD TVs for a better viewing experience in room. We have now checked the TV in your room and found it to be working. All lights are checked by maintenance, however should a problem be reported we do attend to it as quickly as possible.

We hope you will give us another chance to change your mind.

Kind regards.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my two sisters for three nights, it was an absolute pleasure, the staff were so helpful and really interactive with us, the reception is 24 hours and always staffed with a good humoured receptionist, the information given back to us as we threw question after question, was fully answered and more importantly followed with better information than what we had and moneysaving too. The room was a triple, comfortable, clean, tea making facilities, hot water for showers, room was cleaned and towels replaced every day, great TV with lots of channels including Radio and music channels, there is even sound proofing slides on the windows so no noise from the street, breakfast was really good as was the dining staff. This hotel was recommended to me by the agent I booked through for the location, which was so perfect for us close to everywhere we wanted to visit, this is the perfect location as everything is on your doorstop (even a McDonalds)
Thank you for making our stay in London memorable, (for the right reasons)..

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Chrysos_Hotel, General Manager at Chrysos Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Linda,

Thank you for staying with us, as well as your kind and positive review. We are happy to read we made your stay an enjoyable one and that you liked our service and rooms.

We hope you will be back in the near future!

Best wishes to you and your family.

All the Staff and Management at Chrysos Hotel
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

What an awful hotel. I stayed there at a cost of £165 for one night. I selected a double room when I booked but was provided with a triple single room. The room was dirty, there was rubbish left of the bedside from the previous occupant, the tea making facilities were dirty too. As a result I wasn't sure if the beds and towels were clean. I got there late so there was no choice but to stay, had I been a little earlier I'd have walked out and booked in elsewhere. Avoid.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Chrysos_Hotel, General Manager at Chrysos Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear James G,

Thank you for your review.

I was quite disheartened to read about your experience. I have done some investigation, and i am afraid the company you used to book you into the hotel booked a triple room and not a double as you state. This is out of our control as room selections are left to the Booker to decide.

I am also concerned about your issues with the cleaning as all rooms are checked by a floor supervisor and housekeeper before a new check in. The state you are claiming the room was in would mean it was not cleaned and further missed by two senior employees of the hotel. Although this would be a great error by the hotel, i would be interested to see if you could provide me with any proof or further information so that we may investigate this further. Contact details for the hotel management may be found via your booking agent.

Kind regards,

Chrysos Hotel Management.
Turku, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed in Chrysos with a friend and will surely return there. Location was excellent, it was very close to Paddington Station and also Lancaster Gate Tube station. There were many nice restaurants and pubs nearby. Breakfast was nice, so were the room, the bed was very comfortable and it was nice and warm in our room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Chrysos_Hotel, General Manager at Chrysos Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Apila,

Thank you for your review and choosing The Chrysos Hotel for your stay.

We appreciate your kind and positive words for our service and accommodation. We hope to see you back with us very soon.

Take care!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Hotel located perfectly in central London. Rooms are clean and basic with everything you need - tea, coffee, wifi etc. comfortable beds! staff are friendly and always on hand to help (24 hour reception). Go for the full English breakfast! Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed March 2014
Chrysos_Hotel, General Manager at Chrysos Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear StevoM,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to read we provided an excellent service to you, and your scores really make the hotel staff feel like they are good at what they do.

We appreciate it a lot and hope to see you back with us very soon.