“Just acceptable for the money by London standards” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Melville

Save Saved
You added Hotel Melville to your Saves list
Hotel Melville
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38/39 Argyle Square | Kings Cross, London WC1H 8AL, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #562 of 1,075 hotels in London
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
“Just acceptable for the money by London standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Booked the Melville Hotel but was put in the Excelsior next door. My room was on the 3rd floor up narrow stairs and I was glad my suitcase was small and I'm fit.

Any room under £100 per night in London is going to be small and this room was but it had a comfortable bed, TV.

Shower room was compact but was very clean. Shower was not particularly powerful but there was plenty of hot water.

Housekeeping was not up to scratch.: dirty glass, dirty armchair, broken clock radio and very dirty amenities tray.

WiFi on the 3rd floor was intermittent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this review, October 16, 2013

Thanks for your review

We have attended to all issues ; and are really focused on providing spotless accomodation at an affordable rate.

If there is anything that requires attention please tell us immediately so we can put it right for you

Many thanks

175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I've stayed here a few times on both business and short leisure trips, and it's a reasonably priced option right in the middle of London within easy walking distance of both Kings Cross and Euston. The rooms aren't huge but are clean and modern, with comfortable beds. It is part of a group of hotels around the same square, and there are some shared facilities. Slight drawback in that there is no lift and the stairs can be narrow, but I have never had a problem with this. When I was there on business and running around London on a tight schedule the manager was very helpful in sorting out some additional time before I had to checkout so I could leave my luggage. If I need to stay in London for a night or two, would definitely stay here again. In my experience, you won't find much better for the price in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Leicestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were assigned a basement room, which looked out onto a brick wall. The room had recently been refurbished and standard of furnishings and decorating was good - excellent shower room. However, the room was very hot and noisy, due to the proximity to reception which was directly off the stairway and the door was very poorly fitting and rattled continually. Staff were talking and laughing until the early hours, which was very disappointing as we had an early Eurostar journey. No breakfast included as we left too early.

However, excellent proximity to St Pancras.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking Argylle Square
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

We know about the view of the brick wall - to counteract we are coming up with something unique ! This will completed in the very near future ( We are excited about this new " artwork " which will be visible from the room )

We hope to keep improving

Wendover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very comfortable bed.The room was spotlessly clean. This hotel is a good option for those who need to travel from St Pancras International on Eurostar as it is only about 3-4 minutes walk from station. Staff were also very helpful and friendly

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I picked Melville because A) It was the most affordable for what I was looking for and B) It looked clean. The photos on the website make the place appear MUCH larger than it is. Our room was tiny, and my 6'3 boyfriend could barely fit in the restroom, let alone close the door if he needed some 'privacy'. We arrived after midnight after traveling all day and had to carry our huge suitcases up 3 flights of narrow stairs. The room was clean, the shower nice, and the tv worked fine. The bed was very small and uncomfortable, and when I asked for a second pillow I was answered with "Ugh, I will have to go hunt one down" and then never received one. We payed over $750 for our stay, so I expected at least a little customer service. Only one of the front desk guys was friendly to us. Otherwise, it was in good area, easy to get everywhere. OH, and I almost forgot: there was construction of some sort going on every morning in the building so we were awakened with loud noises often.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review

We have now added room sizes and bed sizes to all our room categories on our website ...So you know everything about your room before deciding what room to book .

All construction has now finished .

We are working hard to learn and improve all the time

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I'd actually booked into the Excelsior next door, but the reception is in the Melville next door, which is part of the same group (Argyle). I arrived at 10:30am and left my bags as couldn't check in until the afternoon. After walking down Argyle street and seeing a few tatty hotels, I was pleasantly surprised by the smart exterior facing Argyle Square and again by the contemporary and pleasant reception. When I returned I was checked into a room in the Melvile. On the small side, but adequate and I thought very good for the price paid through booking.com. Smart contemporary and clean. I didn't have breakfast, but got the impression you had to venture outside to the nearby Argyle, which would be a pin if the weather was bad. Staff were very helpful and attentive.Ideally located a short walk from Kings Cross Station and about 10 mins from Euston. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dereham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Yes the room was small (very), yes the shower room was cramped with shower over toilet, yes it was up eight flights of stairs, yes we had breakfast in a nearby hotel basement and there wasn't much choice, BUT it was in a quiet square very close to Kings Cross station and it was only £104 for two of us with breakfast.

You wont do much better at that price so happy to recommend as long as you have your eyes open.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review

We have now listed all room sizes and bed sizes on our websites ; to clearly communicate to all our guests .

We are glad you liked our hotel

Regards
Patrick

Been to Hotel Melville? Share your experiences!