“low cost but so much low quality” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Budget Guest House

Save Saved
You added Budget Guest House to your Saves list
Budget Guest House
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 Swinton Street | Kings Cross, London WC1X 9NL, England (Islington / Clerkenwell)   |
Ranked #1,000 of 1,075 hotels in London
London
“low cost but so much low quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

One day the bed is broken. They change a room under the street level whitout sink . Bathroom upstairs. One morning there were two people sleeping in the bathroom. At the reception they told us to know and that they had put them because they are without reservation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The rooms in this hotal/ guest house are the worst I have ever seen. There was damp stains on the walls, the curtains were gray with dirt, the door to the room did not shut properly, the funiture was something that even the charity shop would refuse, the electrics in the room were bad, so much that the kettle was wired into the plug socket along with the shower in the shared bathroom. the paintwork was shabby, kick marks, coffee stains, black dust and mold on the air vent that above the bed. the carpet was patched up, the bedding was was of low standard ie blankets. the cups to drink out of were polystinrine, the t-spoons were plastic. No bed side cupboard or lamp, dead flys in celling light. My dogs kennel is cleaner and more inviting. Don't use this place.

Room Tip: Don't choose this one, use Jenkins or the Judd Hotal or even the County Hotal.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Ipswich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I really do not advise staying at this place. Me and my friend got to the hotel, confirmed my reservation etc and the woman turned round and said "So that will be £45 and we accept cash or card" To which I explained how I had already paid via the internet. She told me the £45 I paid was a pre-authorisation fee and was returned to my account after 15 days. I told her this was not the case and she refused what I was saying. I phoned up my bank there and then and explained the situation. My bank told me that the money had totally left my account and said the Budget Guest House had 6 months to claim it. He wanted to speak to the woman in charge and she was sat there panicking. So my guess is, they would have claimed that money as soon as I would have left and I would have been non the wiser as I wouldn't be able to see this process and would have essentially paid £90 in total. During the night, the heat was turned up and it woke me up. And to top it off, there was only one flat pillow on each of our beds.

I do not appreciate someone trying to con me. I think this place needs to be reviewed by trading standards.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is not the usual thing I do, write a slating review, but theres very little else to do. this place should be condemed.It is a health hazard on every scale. The bathrooms were like something out of a horror film.I imagine it's cleaner in a derelict building and possibly safer. If you do dare stay I suggest you take a few spare bed slats as we had quite a few of ours missing, an issue that was partly resolved when the staff found replacements from the pile outside,obstructing the fire escape. For some reason we had spare rolls of carpet under the bed, (dread to think for what), and despite the site saying you had a T.V, kettle and sink in each room we didn't have a sink (the kettle was a serious hazard too!). Good grief I could go on. How this can be passed as a feasible residence to rent out I have no idea. You live you learn thankfully, so my friends and I shall be more carefull of our choices in the future.Just glad we survived!

Room Tip: better to sleep outside if there is nowhere else available
Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

this guest house is compared to other hotels in london quite cheap, but be careful. If you book a room there, this is what you get.: an ugly room, which doesn't look like those shown on the pictures you can see on the internet. A bathroom where you can't switch on the light and an another bathroom which is the ugliest und most unclean place I have ever seen. Further the guest house is located next to the underground rails, which means that you can hear the trains passing by every minute. It was heard to fell asleep, cause it was really loud in the room. Fortunatelly I had ear pluges with me. In the describtion of the house it says that there is a TV in every room. This is true, but it doesn't work. There was no promised wifi either. The service was bad as well. In the evening we wanted to speak to the manager, but there was only a message on the door to his office (where at night lived/slept an other man), which says that he will be back in 15 minutes. Wherever he was, he didn't come back bevore the next day. At least the location was pretty good. It takes only 5 minutes to walk to kings cross.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

This is the type of hotel you expect to experience in Mozambique and not London!!

The room quality was poor, bathrooms were inadequate and shared. The furniture was poor. The bedsheets and blankets were dirty. The only good thing was that it was cheap. For £10 more you could get something twice as good so i think its worth going elsewhere next time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Budget Guest House? Share your experiences!