“Never again!” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Aspen Suites Hyde Park to your Saves list
Aspen Suites Hyde Park
Aspen Suites Hyde Park
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1TP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #708 of 1,075 hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've booked two of their apartments to celebrate Christmas with my family and hoped for a pleasant stay to match the cheerful occasion. I've contacted the hotel prior to our arrival to ensure that everything was ok especially that I booked it one month in advance, the receptionist has confirmed that everything was great and off we set off on our trip.
When we arrived we were asked to settle up the balance upon the check in which I had no problems with and we were sent off with the keys. The trip to our rooms raised the alarm bells as there was an unpleasant smell in the air and to get to one of them we had to get through a double mattress which was left right outside of the door... Upon entering the rooms I realised these weren't the apartments that I have booked but some shabby, smelly rooms instead that were given to us as a mistake (so I presumed so). We went back to the reception to return the keys and get the keys to the two apartments that we have booked to which we were told that they have a double booking and they cannot give us an alternative. I tried to reason with the man at the reception saying that none of this matter was raised with us beforehand neither when I called them the day before nor when they charged me on arrival for 2 apartments and not 2 standard rooms. Reception staff were not in anyway prepared to help nor was the manager who we were told was not available and occupied with important matters.
At that point I was getting very anxious as I had theater tickets pre booked for all of us and the time was running out so I phoned booking.com (agent I booked through originally) to help resolve the matter as the reception staff told us to 'go and find a different hotel if we didn't like this one'... after few phone calls to the hotel from booking.com the manager suddenly appeared and offered us one apartment and one double room. On inspection we realised that there was no way we could have spent the night in their double room so all 5 of us had to bunk in in one apartment. The manager offered us a discount and have we had the chance to deal with him beforehand we probably would have had resolved this issue earlier and had less of a bitter experience than we had. The silliest thing of all is that we are a fairly reasonable people and had we've been told about their double booking situation we would happily try to find a solution together, at the end of the day it happens. But the reception staff instead tried to cover it up and when confronted did not come up with any solution at all, we were the ones trying to solve the problem, the best that the staff could come up with was 'if you don't like it then go somewhere else'... .
The apartment itself was nice and adequate the only downside was the heating coming on only at certain time of the day so on a cold day it would get rather chilly in there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AspenHydePark, Guest Relations Manager at Aspen Suites Hyde Park, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
When you called us prior to your arrival at the Hotel the reservation was confirmed however on arrival the rooms you booked could not be allocated due to overbooking caused by system failure, this should have been advised to you on check-in I understand that the receptionist who checked you in did fail to inform you of the room type changes and we did apologise for that when you came down to complain.
I spoke to you personally apologised for the inconvenience and we both then agreed on the best solution at the time to solve the problem.
Some bedrooms at the time were going through refurbishment all care was taken to minimise disruption to our guests and as this works take place during day time there was possibly a change that eventually some items were temporarily placed in the hallways but in safe manner and all safety procedures were taken into account. As a result of renovation progress which involved painting the bedrooms is again natural that the smell of paint would pass through the corridors.
It is our aim to provide our valuable guests with best comfort during their stay and a professional service and although you may feel the service let you down we can assure you take steps have been taken in order to rectify and improve our service and encourage you to come and stay with us again in the near future.

Best Regards
Luis
Hotel Manager

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at Aspen Suites Hyde Park in March 2013 with my family. I cannot recommend this place enough. I found the staff to be very friendly, happy to help and patient (even when we had problems connecting to the wifi).
The apartment itself was 2 double bedroom, a small livingroom, a kitchen full kitted and ready to go and a bathroom with a power shower.
Our stay included a breakfast which again was good.
I found the decor and interior of the reception area lovely and brought a sense of prestige to the place.

We stayed on the 4th floor and were right next to the lift. Also another highlight is, there is free wifi or 2 computers downstairs to use.

The location is very central - literally a 2 min walk from Paddington tube station and about a 5-10 mins walk from Edgware road.

Only thing I would say it is not the easiest to find when you are looking for it.

I have recommended Aspen Suites to a few of my friends already.

I will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: If you are mobility problems, request a room close to the lift.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AspenHydePark, Guest Relations Manager at Aspen Suites Hyde Park, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
We are happy to hear you had enjoyable stay in Aspen Apartments. We have a great range of apartments and can offer flexible accommodation; Single, Double, Triple or Family Apartments. All the suites are equipped with a lovely living room and dining facilities, bathroom, kitchen and bedroom(s) providing full convenience for your visit to London.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

On arrival the staff were friendly and efficient. Cleanliness of the appartment was excellent and the rooms were serviced daily. The bathroom was modern. The hotel is very handy for tube stations, and there are many places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
AspenHydePark, Guest Relations Manager at Aspen Suites Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you very much for posting such a positive review! We are very glad that you were happy with our services and with the Hotel’s location. Looking forward to see you again in the near future. Once again thank you very much!
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stay at the Aspen Suites in Paddington with my wife and young childrens in January which is very very cold in London with much snow.

The Aspen is superb - is very warm, very much space and very nice peoples on receptions and manager, also.

Apartments nice and agreable location near Paddington and Lancaster Gate for the tube.

We have a nice suite on top floor with superb views near Park.

We come back in Summer and will stay here at same place also.

Merci!

Room Tip: Stay here in London on top floor - very good price and very good location.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
AspenHydePark, Guest Relations Manager at Aspen Suites Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for posting such a positive review.
We are very glad that you have enjoyed your stay & that you are happy with our services.
It will always be a pleasure to have guests such as nice as you here in our Hotel.
We are looking forward to welcome you once again in the summer time & hoping that you will have a pleasant stay as the one you had before, if not better.
Best wishes,
The Aspen suites
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom suite in October 2012. Being autumn, the outdoor temperature was between 8 to 11 degrees C. We were surprised to findout that the hotel central heating was not working. When we asked the staff at the reception, he said that the central heating in the entire hotel was off. After complaining, we managed to get an electric heater for the bed room. Although this helped to heat the room, the rest of the suite (sitting room and toilet) were extremely cold.

Being the second visit to this hotel (previous stay was during summer so no problem about heating), we also noticed that the washing machine was removed from the suite which was very inconvenient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AspenHydePark, Guest Relations Manager at Aspen Suites Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for leaving a comment. The heating system runs automatically on set hours, however we are taking notes of your comment and will try to improve according to guest requests. Due to
customer feedback we have removed washing facilities, as stated on our website.
Londno
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I made a booking over the counter for 1 double room and 1 family room. Later on via the internet found the price to be markedly different by at least 40%. I called in the day after to cancel the booking. I then I made a booking online via their website for the same. A couple of days later, I made a call to check on the arrangements. First of all, they did not cancel my booking which they said they would (which would incur me a penalty of the full nights stay if I didn't turn up) and although it had been a few days already, my internet booking was not yet received. I left it for 3 weeks to enable them to do the registration. Called in again and the staff on the phone (a Patricia) said that my booking was keyed in but I was surpised that I had 2 family rooms booked instead of 1 family and 1 double. She told me to check my booking as 'I must be mistaken'. As I was coming via Paddington I stopped by the hotel to show her my bookings via my mobile phone. I tried to explain my difficulty at having to check so many times the one booking but she was argumentative, defensive and entirely unprofessional. Denied having the front desk manager's information as 'it is not necessary' for me to know. A lot of work just to make a booking - very doubtful if they can live up to the basic service requirements.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
AspenHydePark, Guest Relations Manager at Aspen Suites Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear guest, this was a unique situation as we often have special offers for bookings made in person. Our new staff are currently being trained on bookings and cancellations. We apologise for the lack of satisfactory customer service which is very unusual for the hotel.
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

These apartments are very well located between Paddington station and Hyde Park with many dining options around the corner. The tariff was reasonable for a London apartment. The foreign staff were polite, but not overly friendly. The apartment was reasonable in size for a couple. The daily cleaning was thorough.

The place is difficult to find with no signage outside. The website said that there was a clothes washing machine but on arrival found that they had been removed 6 months earlier with no apology. No dishwashing liquid was provided. The doors are really heavy and difficult to jam open. It was a little gloomy inside with small windows. The breakfast was adequate but would be improved by a wider cereal range. There was free but unreliable wifi.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
AspenHydePark, Guest Relations Manager at Aspen Suites Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing a comment ontrip advisor. Our website has updated information about facilities which do not include washing machines however there are laundry facilities within walking distance. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Aspen Suites Hyde Park? Share your experiences!