“Decent value in London” 3 of 5 stars

Aspen Suites Hyde Park
Save Saved
You added Aspen Suites Hyde Park to your Saves list
Aspen Suites Hyde Park
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1TP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #746 of 1,062 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“Decent value in London”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

The hotel is located close to Paddington station, so it's easy to take a bus or the underground to any place in London, but I would have prefered to be more central (Piccadily).
The street is nice. Lot's of hotels on it. This hotel (Aspen Apartments) has a nice lobby, but the rooms are quite modest, but very clean. We had a 2 bedroom apartment. The rooms are very small and there is only one bathroom and no separate toilet, which is a pain if you are 4 people.
The windows let quite a bit of noise in, to the point where you think the window is not well closed. The curtains are letting light in, so if you like a dark room to sleep, this is not the place for you.
As for the breakfast, you have to wait in line and it seems the tables are not cleaned up fast enough, but it's probably due to a short number of people working there at the time. Breakfast is adequate, but really bare minimum. If you like toast, butter and jam, you are ok. The hot chocolate is incredibly sugary. Stay away from it.
Staff is friendly. Rooms are very clean. An ok hotel, but I will try something else next time.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
AspenHydePark, Guest Relations Manager at Aspen Suites Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
Dear Sir,
Since these are listed buildings (dated from the 1830’s), a few of our rooms are small, but adequate for the purpose. We have also available 1&2 bedroom suites with lounge, kitchen and shower/toilet; please enquire on your next visit.

I am sorry to learn about the problem you had with noise but being so central in London has its drawbacks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

The Aspen Suites provide me with a lot of what I need on a business trip: a great location for public transport within London or trains to other cities, an apartment with cooking facilities and a washer/dryer, a free internet connection (though remember to bring a connector cable from your laptop to the wall socket), and a very high standard of cleanliness. Granted, some of the furniture is getting a bit tired, and the breakfast is monotonous (though plentiful), but this is Central London and you can do a lot, lot worse. In my experience, the staff are friendly when treated with respect and courtesy. Most important of all for me is the high standard of room cleaning.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Wicklow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

Although the staff were very friendly and the suite was decorated and cleaned to a very high standard there were a number of problems.

The first being that during my stay the fire alarm went off persistently. It was incredibly loud and went off throughout the day and particurlarly early in the morning (5-6am). When I contacted reception staff there informed me that it was an alarm but could not provide me with any information as to why it was going off or when it would be fixed.

The second problem I encountered was that my suite was adjacent to a door used frequently by staff. The walls in the suite are thin so everytime someone walked through the door it slammed shut and the whole suite shook. I paid for a suite to sleep in but didn't manage to get much sleep between the piercing alarm and the slamming of doors.

Lastly I paid for a continental breakfast every morning of my stay but felt that the breakfast provided was poor in choice. By that I mean that if you don't like cornflakes or toast arrange to have your breakfast some place else.

• Liked — The staff and the level of cleanliness
  • Disliked — The inconvenience caused by noise
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2008

I stayed there this week for 4 nights, with my wife and 3 kids, 9,8,6 . We had a two bedroom apartment. It was very clean, small /tidy, but sufficient sized bedrooms, and a good sized sofa bed in addition . The living room was nice. The home from home convenience provided by apartment as opposed to hotel room living, was great. The TV -DVD was handy to have especially when you have young kids, reception has a list of DVD's you can rent for free, and overall the apartment was great, and in comparison to trying to get a family room or two rooms in a hotel it was much better and good value. too The breakfast was fine., your get basically orange juice, cornflakes, ham & cheese toast and tea, what more than you can expect at these prices, and it does fill you up for the day ahead. The reception staff I found friendly and nice. Of course with all the places in Sussex Gardens you are getting first and foremost a handy location in terms of closeness to the city tourist sites. The noise from the traffic was constant and little shielded by the single glazed windows, but not too loud and certainly not enough to stop 5 very tired tourists sleeping soundly through it every night. I would really recommend this place to any one with young kids in the 5 to 13 age bracket. One small gripe the internal doors in the apartment were very heavy, and needed a good push to open, and swung shut automatically so would not recommend to younger kids as they literally would struggle to be able to open the doors and would definitely get the fingers stuck at some point !

We never really used the clean kitchen apart from light snacks as you are surrounded by restaurants nearby. The place was cleaned every day and was spotless overall. We would definitely recommend and would come back. With a place like this you have an idea what you are booking in the first place ( not the Savoy or the Ritz), and those expectations were well surpassed , we had a great time.

• Liked — The cleanliness and sense of home from home apartment living
  • Disliked — The heavy internal doors in the apartment
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Teesside
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2007

Stayed at the Aspen as a family of five in a two bedroomed apartment. Yes I agree it was small, but if you want 5 star rooms, pay for them!
Shower was powerful, bathroom was rather small but adequate. Kitchen very clean, fridge, washer/dryer, Microwave plus all utensils, more than adequate. Breakfast was complementary, cereal, toast, meat & cheese, you could pay £3 for full English. Vey basic breakfast - but it is free!
Less than 5 minutes walk to Paddington Underground, some nice Restaurants, Chinese, Indian, Italian plus the usual Steak Houses, all within 10 minutes walk around Paddington. One problem, it is very noisy, the traffic outside is constant & the windows not all double glazed, if you are a light sleeper it will be a problem. We found reception more than helpful & very nice with the children. Yes it is £10 for the remote, but you do get it back!
Black Cabs run constantly along the road outside the Aspen, very easy & quick to flag one down.
The Aspen can be difficult to locate - the Hotel is actually listed as Abbeywood so it would be best to let your cab driver know that - we found it very easily.
Overall, a great stay, reasonably priced & a great location - would we stay again - Most definately.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise from Road
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for four nights in August. I agree with all that the previous respondent said but found that it didn't detract from the stay. I did have trouble figuring out the washer/dryer with no instructions (nothing dried) but overall we found it quite good. Very small rooms but very clean and great location and its good having the extra living space if one wants to go to bed earlier than the other. We didn't find it too noisy. Breakfast was very basic but you could get a full English breakfast for an extra cost. My husband was a bit surprised about the charge for the remote but no problems getting it back. My only complaint came on our last day. We had said to the trainee receptionist the day before that we would need a taxi to Kings Cross station and should we order ahead of time or flag one down in the street. She quoted us 10.00 to 15.00 if she ordered one for us so we decided to do so. The car was the hotel's own as the driver was in the hotels uniform and I had seen him around there. We were charged 18pound which we considered over the top. Consequently no tip for him.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — being overcharged for a taxi ride
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
sheffield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

I stay in London quite frequently and have perhaps become a bit fussy as to what I expect, but found this hotel fell short on several matters.

Heating was not working. I queried this with three different staff and got three different responses - "It doesn't come on till later"/"It's in a short (2 hour) shut down phase"/"We'll send up maintenace but that won't be till tomorrow". Eventually, at gone 8pm, a free standing heater was obtained & brought to the room.

There were no curtains at the windows, just a VERY flimsy slatted blind that blocked out almost no light (in the bedroom only). I have been unwell recently and often need a day time snooze - I'd have liked to have done so in the dark!

The shower IS pathetic and fixed head only. (When will hotels learn these make it almost impossible for us ladies to keep our hair dry!) TV reception was bad and the channels very limited. No radio either. There's even a £10 deposit for the remote - the only other place I've ever been asked for this was in a budget (32 quid a night) Etap hotel.

The kitchen is basic but workable, however it lacks those extra welcoming touches. No cleaning stuff, non existent instructions for washer and cooker and most importantly - NO TEAPOT. When I requested one, I was told no one had access to the kitchen until the following morning at 7.15am. Not surprised those who sampled the breakfast were disappointed.....since they start serving at 7.30am they can hardly put much care into its preparation!

The website doesn't inform you & nor do the staff that it's 10.30am check out (threats of an additional whole days charge should this be contravened). This info is only on the room card and on a notice in the room; along with a list of other "dos & don'ts" - very boarding house!

Comments about the staff were pretty accurate - a couple of requests were either ignored/forgotten, or done too late. By the time my extra loo roll arrived, I'd gone out & bought some myself....

The above are perhaps 'minor' quibbles, but taken as a whole it means I certainly won't be staying here ever again

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Attitude
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Aspen Suites Hyde Park? Share your experiences!