“Budget hotel, good location” 3 of 5 stars

You added Victor Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   51 Belgrave Road, London SW1V 2BB, England   |
Ranked #666 of 1,073 hotels in London
Helsinki, Finland
“Budget hotel, good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Everything about this hotel was okay, but don't expect too much... The breakfast was minimal, coffee and a toast. The was no elevator and since our room was on the top floor it meant some serious climbing. The rooms have seen their better days some time ago, but at least ours was kept clean during our stay.

The best part of the hotel was definitely the location, especially when travelling via Gatwick or Victoria station. Many sights within a walking distance (Buckingham palace, Big Ben etc.) and good public transportation.

All in all, an okay palace to spend the night, but I wouldn't probably choose this one the next time around. There are dozens of similiar hotels next to one another on that particular street...

Room Tip: If you have good knees, the higher ones are more quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Victor_Hotel_London, Manager at Victor Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to us as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a great experience.

I am pleased that we met your expectations. If you let us know the next time you book I can allocate a rooms which located on the ground or lower floor, as they are slightly bigger than the one you stayed in.
I hope to welcome you the next time that you are in London.

Kind Regards
Hussen

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Constanta, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel I was asked for the credit card that was used for payment online. As my fiance paid for it and I was staying for 2 nights with business alone, I didn't expect this to be a problem when I checked in, but it seemed it was so that I couldn't check in unless the receptionist could see the credit card with which it had been paid already for 2 nights. Although it was late almost close to midnight when I arrived and I was very tired, the receptionist needed the proof that the owner of the credit card accepted the payment and the receptionist insisted in my fiance to be woken up in the middle of the night to send an e-mail with the credit card details which was stupid! The payment had gone through already, it was in the hotel's account, so WHY would they need the owner of the credit card?! Anyway, I asked for the manager and the receptionist told me he was not there. I finally entered the room after my boyfriend confirmed by e-mail his payment and I noticed that wireless internet was NOT available in the room, so I asked for my room to be changed since it was important for me and that was the reason why I had chosen the hotel, but he refused stating it was fully booked and that the wifi would have been the same in the other rooms as well. The only spot where I had wifi was in front of the reception, so I just had to stay in front of the door of the hotel for getting some wifi...The room was not very clean (I could find different t-shirt price tags stuck on the blanket of the bed and the toilet didn't look very clean as hair was on the seat. Very old and used room,
I was told at the check in that I MUST leave the key of the room at the reception and I didn't like that, because I didn't want anyone to enter my room while I was away, but although I did take the key with me, the room cleaning staff still entered...there aren't any "Don't disturb" messages to put at the door. The breakfast was very poor and it is served in a very tiny room where are only 5 tables very close to each other and if there were more than 5 people you had to wait until someone finished, because I couldn't be late, the second morning I decided not to eat as there was no room for me at the tables...That is DEFINITELY a hotel I wouldn't stay again ever! There are many other hotels on that street! You can try somewhere else, I am sure they have better conditions!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the valuable time you've spent in sharing your comments through TripAdvisor. I go through these to learn how we can make the stay better.

I am sorry to read that we did not met your expectations on this occasion. We state on our website that you will need to present the card you made the booking with on check in. Unfortunately London gets a significant volume of credit card fraud and this is a measure that we have put in place to prevent this. As well as protecting us it also protects our guests by ensuring that someone can use their credit card to fraudulently make a booking.
We did not had any other room available at the time. Please accept my apologies for this not being communicated to you in a more professional manner. We have looked at the wifi connection and it seems to be working fine now.
We do provide room service daily unless guest asks not to and for your case we did not receive any advice that not to provide room service.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make this right for you. Once again thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I hope to welcome you back when you are next time in London.

Kind Regards
Hussen
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The price in relation to the accomodation was avarage. The breakfast is really minimal. No elevator ( 4 floors ) small rooms, not verry clean. On the other hand, for this price you could not expect more on this location in the center of London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Uckfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The receptionist was helpful as we arrived. When we arrived we were told our room would be ready by 2, despite booking the room from 1. Thankfully everything was fine and we checked in 'early'. The room its self was clean if a little small. The bathroom was again compact and so was the shower - which my pregnant wife couldn't actually get in to as the door was too narrow.

We went out for the evening and on coming back the room was still cool (we'd left the fan going and the window open). Over the course of the night we left the window open to keep the temperature down (no air conditioning) however the noises from outside disturbed our sleep constantly. To compound our lack of sleep, the kitchen for the hotel was right next to our room, so from about 7:00 onwards we had the clattering of plates and cuttlery going as well.

Overall this was probably about the worst night's sleep I've had in a hotel and I couldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Found this on laterooms, literally a sudden decision to stay over so booked on the day for that night - lucky as it was the last room available. Room was clean, no AC but a fan had been provided and was more than adequate despite the warm July we've had. Shower was surprisingly powerful. Breakfast was basic and wasn't served till 7.30 (a little late on a work day!) - overall very happy - good hotel for the price and I would stay again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Whilst the hotel was fairly clean and the receptionist was friendly, the condition of the room we had in particular was poor. The beds were definetly old, extremely creaky and uncomfortable. The mattress had a collapsed area on it. Rather than a quilt, you get a blanket. The temperature of the shower could not be turned below a certain point. Considering it was 32 degrees last week this is ridiculous. The breakfast was ok. It was really what I expected. Just hope you don't get a room on the top floor as there are ten flights of stairs. Most other hotels on this road appeared to have lifts.

• Stayed July 2013
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I planned a trip for my 30th birthday. I had never been out of the country and did some extensive research. We finally chose the Victor hotel based mostly on price. We were not disappointed.
The rooms are definitely no frills, and older. But it was clean and friendly and quiet. After spending so much time in the heart of the city all day long it was kind of like coming home to the 'burbs at the end of the night, yet we were just a couple stops away from the attractions and the underground was about a block or 2 from the hotel. We really enjoyed that part.
We did spend the extra money on the breakfast, which if we had to do it again probably wouldn't have. The price was just fine, but the choices are slim. It's just toast or croissants, cereal and some fruit, coffee tea.
All in all we made a good choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Victor Hotel? Share your experiences!