“Good quality hotel, could be excellent with more attention, helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences

You added Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences to your Saves list
Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   51 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6AF, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Offers & Announcements
Early Bird
Ranked #4 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Hong Kong, China
“Good quality hotel, could be excellent with more attention, helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

A good hotel, that could be excellent. Staff tried enormously to help. Butlers and concierge were excellent throughout. I was on business and had my children with me. I got frustrated with a shower that went from hot to cold and was cramped over the bath. There should have been a separate shower in such a hotel. DVD that did not work and they could not get working, The suite was large, clean and well appointed. It is advertised as with a washing machine and tumble dryer. There is only a washing machine that almost tumble dries. Could never get washing droperly dry which was difficult having clothes over the beds and furniture to dry. Staff tried to help for example by doing the tumble drying in the hotel machine (when I needed), but this was a hassle that should not have been there. Hotel went extra mile by storing luggage while I went through Europe., etc. Basically good hotel, great people, if a proper shower, and tumble drier as advertised, would have excellent. Mattress could have been better - not up to Starwoods heavenly beds standards. This hotel, is good but not yet in the true "Taj" league. The closest tube station is a shortish walk, but not the most covenient tube station for the West End etc. I would stay there again as staff and attitude make up for most of the small deficiencies.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
LR51BG, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, July 5, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on your recent stay at 51 Buckingham Gate Suites & Residences.

I very much appreciate your very valuable feedback and we will definitley investigate how we can improve our facilities in some of the areas you have highlighted.I am aware of the issues you encountered and in the case of the tumble dryer as we discussed at the time the ability of the machine to dry a ful load appears to be a challenge. Moving forward however we will look at an alternative make of washing machine and hopefull that will help to alleviate this issue.

As in any organisation our associates are our most valuable assett and we are very fortunate to have some colleagues here who understand the importance of delivering a first class level of service Some of these colleagues names you mentioned to me when we spoke initially.

On the other hand I am dissappointed that you feel we fell short of the "Taj League" and I would hope on your next visit to London you and your family will stay with us again and hopefully we can try and restore your confidence in 51 and to show you that we are cabable of reflecting the standard of hospitality and service which is the hall mark of our company.

Thank you again and hope to see you soon.

HOTEL MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I was on a business trip to London and stayed at 51 Buckingham Gate, Taj Suites and Residence for five nights from 6th to 10th June, 2010. I stayed in a suite during this period. This is a five star luxury hotel and view from the hotel is lovely. The cleanliness of the room was above par and I enjoyed every moment of staying here. The décor of the room was excellent. In fact whenever, I am in London, I always prefer to stay here.

The service given by the staff was excellent and they make you feel at home. The staying here in a suite at GB Pound 314/- per night was worth.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review after your recent visit with us here at 51 Buckingham Gate Suties & Residences.

Firstly I was delighetd to read that you had such a great experience with us and our hotel facilities and services made such a positive impact and met with your expectations.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back again to 51 and I hope to have the opportunity to meet you in person the next time you stay with us. Value for money is very important these days and the rate which you have paid for your accommodation is a contracted rate so would not necessarily be a rate available for anyone to book.

Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you soon again.

Hotel Manager
Aldershot
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I stayed at 51 Buckingham Gate whilst attending a conference in London.
I originally booked to stay at the Crowne Plaza St James but when I arrived the hotel had upgraded me to their sister property a short walk across a beautiful court yard.
51 Buckingham Gate is an all suites residence run by Taj Hotels (who own both properties)
The service was exceptionl from beginning to end and the breakfast was an awesome experience. Nedim and Iara looked after my every need and could not have been more courteous. True Taj Ambassadors.
I joined several colleagues for dinner in the hotel bistro in the evening and was suitably impressed with a great range of dishes and super service from the Scottish manager.
My only quible which is not a complaint merely an observation is that the deliveries arrive on the pavement where you walk in and out of the hotel and it is a little odd seeing your breakfast produce sat on the pavement. I would think a hotel of the size of the Crowne Plaza could find an alternative place to have their deliveries ... or a different time ??

Anyhow, all in all an exceptional venue that I will certainly return to and will happily pay the slightly higher rate in future to guarantee a room at 51 .. Enjoy 51 ... its a true unique oasis.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
LR51BG, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us here at 51 Buckingham Gate.

I appreciate very much your kind comments regarding our service and in particular highlighting some members of our team who stood out from the crowd both in the Library and at the Bistro 51.

Our beautiful courtyard is one of our hidden gems and now that summer is upon us it is even more appealing as you can sit outside and enjoy a drink or a meal without all the trafiic and noise which is all too often the case in a busy city like London.

I take on board your comments regarding the food delivery and we have some plans in the pipeline to hopefully find an alternative area where these items can be delivered to the hotel.

Thank you again and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to 51 Taj Suites and Residences on you next visit to London.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

I should say up front that the Buckingham Gate is my preferred place to stay in London regardless of whether I am travelling for business or leisure. So I know what to expect- great rooms with more than a touch of luxury, really lovely and acommodating staff, a terrific location and an atmosphere that makes you feel at home. I had to bring my stay forward by two days on short notice - no problems they sorted it out. Then the volcano went up in Iceland and I became one of the many at the Buckingham Gate trapped with no way of getting home, in my case to Australia.

In an environment where the stories were rife about hotels ripping off stranded travellers or just not being helpful in very difficult circumstances, I think the staff and management at the Buckingham Gate deserve a medal. They were sympathetic and understanding of so many things that would be stressing their guests - a need to get home to business or family commitments, what would be covered by travel insurance and all the extra costs of being trapped in one of the world's most expensive cities.

I changed the standard of my room in recognition of the extended stay and the management decided just to leave me in the more expensive room as things were tough enough for all of us stranded with no way home. The staff who clean and set up the apartments were endlessly nice and helpful and happy to have a chat with grumpy travellers at the end of a long day and always had a friendly hello for you in the corridors or lift. The reception staff were very accomodating , especially Heather who was always there to help with very practical suggestions and a capacity to fix whatever you needed and the wonderful concierge couldn't do enough either.

In summary I expected to enjoy my stay there - it was a stressful extra week waiting and hoping to get home but the surroundings, the ambience, the lovely staff and managment made it a terrific stay. It is easy to be a great hotel when nothing is going wrong - it is how you handle a bit of a crisis especially one outside your control, that really tells you how good an establishment is. A big thank-you to all at the Buckingham Gate for their help and terrific service and I am really looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Firstly I am glad you have made it back home after the delays and inconvenience caused by the Icelandic Ash. Thank you very much for writing such a wonderful review on your experience while being our guest here at 51 Buckingham Gate.

I agree those initial few days were very stressfull all round and more so of course for guests like yourself who were at the mercy of the weather conditions in determining when you could catch your flight home. We certainly did not want to add to anyones woes and troubles and had made a conscientious decision that we would do all in our power to alleviate any additional anxieties for our guests stranded as a result of this incident.

I will most certainly share you review with all our associates here and thank them for exercising the Taj Vision of hospitality and a caring approach.

I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to your new found home at 51 Taj Suties & Residences on your next visit to London and if I can be of any assistance in the future then please dont hesitate to let me know.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed three nights at "51" and enjoyed every minute. The apts were beautifully done and bed extremely comfortable. The bath is to die for with wonderful soaking tub and large multi-jet shower and double sinks. Good size kitchen with dish washer AND washer/dryer which I wish I had read up on before I arrived and wouldn't have had to pack as much. The food was pricey but excellent. Location is about 2-3 blocks walk from Buckingham Palace and the tube station is a bit of a walk but do'able. Bus tours leave from just around the corner and the staff there cannot do enough for you. Loved every minute of it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
LR51BG, Hotel Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, April 20, 2010
Thank you very much for your fantastic review of your stay with us here at 51 Buckingham Gate Taj Suites and Residences..

I was delighetd to read that you had a memorable stay with us and that the hotel and services contributed to that overall experience. You mentioned that the tube station was a bit of a trek away however maybe you were not aware that St.James Tube station is literally 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

I look forward to welcomg you back to 51 on your next trip to London and hopefully your expeience will be equally as good if not better.

Warm regadrs

Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We'd booked a double room in the Crowne Plaza but upon arrival were informed that we'd been upgraded to a suite at 51 Buckingham Gate. What a brilliant way to start our weekend! The staff were excellent - friendly and helpful and really made us feel welcome. The suite was absolutely lovely - spacious, comfortable and bright. The kitchen was fully equipped so if you intend to stay in and cook yourself then there is everything there that you would need, including a dishwasher and washing machine. The bathroom was lovely and there were plenty of Molton and Brown products. Every evening there was a little box of chocolates for us (we had Easter eggs on our last evening as it was the Easter weekend). All of these extra touches just helped make our say that little bit more special.
The breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice.
The hotel has a very calm and relaxing atmosphere which is great after spending a day in the midst of all the busy crowds. It's near to St James's Park tube station (about a 2 minute walk) so it's very convenient if you intend to use public transport.
This was probably the best city break we've experienced and we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
LR51BG, Hotel Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, April 13, 2010
Thank you so much for your wonderful review on your stay with us here at 51 Buckingham Gate.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that both the hotel and servcies contributed to your memorable experience.
Both our properties are owned and managed by Taj Hotels and as such we work very closely together and on this occasion we were able to extend the upgrade to some of our guests who booked for the Crowne Plaza.

Thank you again and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Very good location, great backyard that makes you feel special when you enter the hotel... Friendly reception staff. Elevators in the buildings are few slow, old and small and waiting can seem interminable.

Rooms are well equipped and clean with full apartment facilities (laundry, kitchen etc.). Housekeeping service is at top level. Very good room service.

We had problems with booking, as the manager tried to move us the last night because he didn't have note of the booking for the last night through a travel agency. It was suggested to me, slightly under pressure, that i could indeed keep the same room but by paying a higher rate directly to the hotel. The manager insisted that he was unable to communicate with the travel agency (?).

If you are looking for fine restaurants (and at the night rate you are paying here you probably will), don't count on the concierge to tell you where to go but rather find other means (recommendation from friend/relative always preferable).

Overall good rating, but some small irritants might make you think twice before coming again, especially given the wide variety of hotels in this category in London

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of your stay with us at 51 Buckingham Gate.

Firstly I must apologise for any shortcomings in the level of servcie you experienced during your stay. We are a Town House Hotel comprising of three individual buidlings each one with its own entrance and style. The nature of our property is unque each one with its own elevator. Unlike a purpose built hotel we are unable to have more than one lift in each building however we are looking at the possibility of having a lift constructed on the outside of the building . So hopefuly when completed that will minimise the delay here.

I am sorry to to hear of your disspppointment with our Concierge and not having the full background of the problem I am unable to comment. Our team are memebrs of the Clefs d'Or and have a very good knowledge of the restaurant scene in London. So many apologies if there recommendationsdid not match with your expectations. Otherwise I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I very much hope you will visit us again on your next visit to London.

Liam Ryan

Been to Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences? Share your experiences!