My husband and I took a trip to England for our 20th wedding anniversary the week of November 29th to December 7th. We normally spend our anniversary in a warm and tropical local as we enjoy scuba diving and the beach…however, we wanted to branch out and do something out of the norm. The UK has always been somewhere we’d plan to go, and being a milestone year, we decided to go to London. After researching the area and deciding upon a suitable itinerary, we narrowed our hotel of choice down to the Taj. The hotel’s proximity to many of the tourist sites (Westminster Abby, Big Ben, London Eye, and Buckingham Palace) and with the convenience to the underground system from St. James Station, it was the perfect choice.
From the moment we checked in to the Taj we were greeted by warm and friendly staff. Sergio was excellent in showing us to our room, giving us an overview of the hotel and its amenities, and providing us with local knowledge on restaurants, transportation, and site seeing. He gave us a map of the area, which was far superior to what we were planning to use, and highlighted the proper routes to take for the underground system. Being American, my husband and I were unsure about the proper etiquette for tipping in the England. Sergio was kind enough to answer our questions and put us at ease. After leaving us to get settled in our room, he returned a short time later to provide us with a welcome basket of fruits, breads, cheeses, etc. and a welcome card! We really appreciated that!
Our room at the Taj was a Junior King Suite. It was very comfortable, clean, and suited us perfectly. Although there was not a lot of closet space, we managed to make it work just fine. The bathroom had a wonderful deep tub that was perfect for warming up after a long day of site seeing and walking. The shower was just as nice (That is after I figured out the knob situation! Beware, when you turn the knob to the left you may get sprayed in the face by the hand piece that hangs next to the shower head! Quite a sobering moment first thing in the morning!). The kitchen was nice and stocked with coffee, teas, water, dishes and silver wear. We didn’t cook anything but used the kettle, coffee maker, and the refrigerator. We particularly liked having a clothes washer and dryer in the kitchen which we used during our stay a few times. Overall, the room was warm and comfortable and was a wonderful reprieve at the end of a long day walking and touring London.
The concierge staff at the Taj was excellent. Kalman, Nelson, Jon, and Alex were very professional, kind, and helpful in assisting us during our stay. On December 4th, our anniversary, we decided to take the two and a half hour trip to Paris, France on the Eurostar high speed train across the English Channel. We waited until the last minute to do this (We weren’t sure it would be worth it for the day and there was still so much to do in London, but in the end felt we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to go.). The concierge staff were able to assist us getting the earliest reservation which allowed us to leave the following morning and return that night back to London. They arranged our transportation to St. Pancras Station (we could have taken the underground there but we were leaving so early we had to take a taxi) and gave us all the information we needed to get to Paris and back. We returned back to London that night, late…and although it was a very long day it was very much worth it. The concierge staff at the Taj were so helpful to us. We truly appreciated them! And, we had a wonderful surprise when we got back to our room that night, a lovely dessert plate with a “Happy Wedding Anniversary” greeting!
On our last night at the Taj we decided to eat at Quilon. A reservation was made for us by Santanu. It was magnificent! My husband and I can say it was one of the best meals we have had! Ironically, I am usually not a fan of Indian food, however, this was an outstanding meal and the restaurant was beautiful. We were truly impressed.
We checked out of the Taj on the 7th. The staff was again very helpful and efficient in getting our final bill and arranging our transportation to Heathrow. We were truly impressed with the Taj and look forward to coming back again someday!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences is located in the heart of Westminster in Central London, minutes from Buckingham Palace. It's distinctly designed townhouses - Kings, Minsters and Falconers, have been beautifully restored to their iconic heritage. The 85 luxurious and elegant suites offer the space and exclusivity of a private home with their own separate kitchen and living area. Make the most of the premier Golden Keys Concierge services, tailored treatments at the Wellness Centre and a host of on-site dining options including Quilon, the signature Michelin star Indian South West coastal cuisine restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, LondonMarketing.com, Venere, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, TravelClick, Agoda, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 51 Buckingham Gate, Taj Suites And Residences Hotel London
- Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites And Residences London, England