“One of the Best in London........” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences

You added Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences to your Saves list
Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   51 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6AF, England (Westminster)   |
Special Price
Early Bird
Ranked #6 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“One of the Best in London........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on a shopping and theatre break with my wife. The Hotel upgraded us when they found out that it was our anniversary ....... and the suite that we had was magnificent. Service was impressive from the minute that we walked through the door. I arrived early to leave my luggage on the first day (which was dealt with by the Concierge within 30 seconds) before heading up to my office, my wife arrived later in the afternoon to be greeted by her name (without introduction ... very slick !!) and was immediately offered a hot towel and coffee in the Lounge whilst her luggage (and my luggage from earlier in the day) was whisked up to the suite. Througout the stay we were served by charming staff, who knew our names instantly and were always available to meet our slighets request be that booking tables for dinner or taxis for travel. High end service like it should be in a true 5 star hotel (but unfortunately not all 5 star hotels view it that way !!)...... the Taj is really top-draw.
One very minor quibble is that the breakfast room is quite small and can get a little crowded on occasions. We had no problems with a table for 2 people each day, but on a couple of the breakfast visits we saw families of 4 that had to sit at different tables .... a slight problem when you have young children ?!
One final thing to say that as this hotel is in its own courtyard it is ever so quiet which is remarkable for a city centre hotel just yards from Buckingham Palace, St. James's Tube and Victoria station .... it makes for very restful nights without the usual background noise of central London.

I would not hesitate to stay here again !!!

Room Tip: The suites over-looking the courtyard are the best !
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Forest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Had very high hopes for our stay based on great reviews.
The big disappointment was the accommodation, we were upgraded to a 3 bedroom suite which was massive. It was quite tired inside including a water leak through the roof of our bedroom which although perhaps no longer leaking was decoratively unrepaired and the carpet below was badly stained and mouldy. Most of the carpets, curtains and soft furnishing were showing a high degree of wear. The Moulton Brown bathroom accessories were at odds with the tiny and very dated bathrooms.
Not five stars by any standard, that said, the price was reasonable for the space on offer and as such we would have enjoyed our stay if it had not been for the incredibly Smokey atmosphere in all the suite rooms and in particular the bedrooms. We asked in our booking for non- smoking accommodation. At check in we were told that all suites were smoking and that housekeeping air the rooms before they are reoccupied. Our rooms could not have been aired if the widows were open for 2 weeks. It really put us off returning to our accommodation other than to sleep and then get out again.
I think it is naughty to offer non-smoking accommodation on your website which is in fact for smokers but claim that opening the windows somehow qualify it as non-smoking. Our room had cigarette ash on the carpet that remained throughout 3 housekeeping visits. Plainly if you’re a smoker it’s going to be no bother at all but for us it was not remotely enjoyable.
On the plus side the service at reception, breakfast and in the quaint library bar were all second to none.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

On my recent visit to the 51 (September 2012) I was once again delighted by the outstanding customer service. A friend was having a birthday and John, one of the incredible Concierges, got us fabulous tickets to "Singin' in the Rain" and the manager Araceli, helped me to order a birthday cake. Kudos to the pastry chef for creating the most gorgeous and divine chocolate cake ever! As always the staff were exceptional and nothing is too much trouble. Thanks to Vasi, Nelson and Alex who are the best in the business. The 51 really is a home away from home, making everyone from children to adults feel special.

Room Tip: I love the surprise of seeing what room I'll be in as each suite is different.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I only stayed for one night on business...,yes it's not cheap...but by London standards its fine.....service frm the moment you walked to the door... Beautiful well equipped suite....just a shame I was only there one night, only used a small part of the services....small intimate library for drinks, snacks and they ordered food frm next door for us..... Stylish decor.....true 5 star service.....defiantly recommend it.....:-)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I had high hopes for this 5* hotel. I expected more in terms of the customer service. They did not do a good job of managing my expectatioins or listening to our needs.

Upon check in our room was upgraded which was great but it wasn't ready. 30 min they said. They said we could sit in the library to wait/enjoy some tea. No one came to greet/serve us even after ringing the assistance bell twice. I had to go ask for service. 40 min later I asked about the room. Another 15 minutes they said. I wasn't happy as we were only staying in London 24 hours and we wanted to see some sights.

I asked if there was a place we could freshen up and change. They put us in the spa changing room.

When we returned later in the day to get the key to the room the person assisting wasn't aware of our earlier inconvenience. He showed us the room and explained everything but never asked us how long we were staying or what was important to us.

He asked about our evening plans as offered the concierge assistance. I informed him we already had evening plans and dinner reservations. He then suggested we cancel and eat at the restaurant on the property which I found unprofessional. I understand he's probably required to explain the services but suggesting we cancel our dinner plans? Very weird.

The property is nice.
Rooms extremely spacious.
Spa facilities dated.
Centrally located
<5 min walk from St James Park underground.
<10 min walk to Westminster Abbey/Big Ben.

For the price and hotel stars, I expected much better customer service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed in 51 Buckingham Gate Taj Suites during our visit to London with My family from 9th July to 14 July 2012.
The Suites really feels like a Royal suite with all Extra Ordinary Amenities, The class of service makes feel like a VVIP. They are taking care of all our small needs and also the kids were so happy that they didn't want to go out for outing in London.
Cleanliness, The nearby All attractions, The restaurants, Excellent food, Best Breakfast and at last the Complete security.
Its worth the Value of Our Money.

Room Tip: All Suites are the Best
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for ten days in October-November, 2012. We had a "Kings Junior Suite," which we chose because we wanted a roomy and homey place for our long stay.

The kitchen was superbly outfitted, with many new appliances, including a kettle, toaster, coffee maker, fridge, stove, and dishwasher. There was also a machine that purported to both wash and dry one's clothes. I tried it twice, but the clothes emerged damp and had to be hung to dry.

The bathroom was enormous, and included two sinks, a very deep and long tub, a separate shower, a toilet, and two large heated towel racks.

We received many extras: Because we were staying for ten days, we were given a complimentary food hamper, including two small jugs of milk, butter, a half-dozen eggs, tea, coffee, cereal, several kinds of biscuits, two kinds of chocolate, olive oil, and a big plate of fruit. We used most of these supplies; supplemented with bread and jam purchased near Victoria Station, we were able to enjoy modest but satisfying breakfasts in our suite most mornings. We then simply piled the dishes on the counter; the staff either washed them or loaded the dishwasher and ran it.

The service at the Taj is impeccable: cheerful, helpful, and unassuming. Any problems we had received an immediate response. The response did not always FIX the problem, however. For example, the power did not work at the outlets by the desk, one of which was adapted for North American appliances. Instead of fixing the power, we were given an adaptor so I could plug my computer in at a more distant outlet. Another problem we had was with the heating in the suite; in the beginning it was hard to get the place warmed up. We returned later in the day to find the thermostat had been turned up to 29 C to heat the place! This didn't work very well; we ended up constantly having to guess as to where to set the thermostat to obtain adequate but not excessive heat.

The Taj is located in a collection of very old and beautiful restored buildings called St. James Court. Our suite was on the top floor. It was very quiet, and even had a partial view of Buckingham Palace!

The Taj is affiliated with the next-door Crowne Plaza Hotel, and thus benefits from receiving access to their bar (where we enjoyed a couple of tasty meals), their Bistro, and their two restaurants (one of which has a Michelin star, although we did not eat there).

One other thing I will mention is that while some parts of the Taj were dazzlingly up-to-date, others seemed worn and overdue for replacement. For example, the carpeting in our suite was very threadbare and old; some of the cushions were stained; and much of the furniture had rings from drinks on the surfaces. It was surprising to find these details overlooked, when so much is impeccably cared for.

At first I thought that these details indicated a place that was past its prime, or where the owners and staff did not care enough to make everything beautiful. However, after a few days I became a believer. I would have been delighted to stay there for another ten days, and if (when) I return to London, I hope to stay at the Taj again.

Room Tip: We loved being on the top floor, because then no one is walking around above us. However, be aware...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences? Share your experiences!