“Be wary of the thunder of little feet above!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cheval Phoenix House

Save Saved
You added Cheval Phoenix House to your Saves list
Cheval Phoenix House
5.0 of 5 Condominium   |   1 Wilbraham Place | Sloane Street, London SW1X 9AE, England (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #18 of 609 Specialty lodging in London
Brisbane, Australia
“Be wary of the thunder of little feet above!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Had a very good stay at this property last year in July 2011 for 13 nights. It would have been perfect expect for the apartment above. (We were up on the 3rd floor, I think). The extended family (must have been as they had numerous small children) were trialling their young children for the Olympics - I'm sure!! The night that they arrived - the noise was unbearable. Running, jumping, furniture being scraped across floors. All this at 11pm - but went on till after mid-night even though I made 3 desperate calls to Reception. Started again before 6am in the morning!!!
I couldn't believe it. For 3 days this went on. I left messages on 2 days for the House Manager, Charmaine Hayes, to phone me. She didn't return my calls so I had to phone her back. (Not what one expects for a property of this calibre.) Even though the Reception staff were sympathetic and very polite every time I phoned in pure frustration -- it took 3 days before this family finally left. Not sure if they were asked to go, or if this was a short stay -- but I was very unhappy that we paid so much for this accommodation, only to be subjected to this over-the-top noise. (That family also through a garment out of their window. It caught in a pipe - blocked it and rain poured through our closed windows during a heavy shower!) The rest of the 10 day stay was perfect. Only comments are - be aware that the bed is a pull-down in-a-box bed. Comfortable enough - but not great. Ask for a separate hair dryer as the one attached to the cupboard is woeful & burns ones hand.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with natural light -- and NO CHILDREN ABOVE!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed for ten days at the Phoenix House in London and we were very impressed with everything.
We had two adjoining flats that were comfortable and elegant, with spacious kitchens and a decently sized lounge rooms.

Though the apartments are really big, we still managed to entertain some friends without too much trouble.

The place is very clean and the staff is friendly, nice and efficient.

Only drawbacks are payable wi-fi and the lack of natural light since our flats had relatively small windows.

Other than that, it is definitely a place we would recommend and it is in a great part of London.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sonoma County, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

When we checked in we were told we had been upgraded to a two bedroom suite. The bad news: The "upgrade" was in the basement. We could pull back the curtains in the living area and see lined up garbage cans and parked cars along an eye-level sidewalk. Since we were only staying here a few days at the end of a long trip (which included a stay at a London flat with charming views of rooftops and chimneys), we didn't complain. Especially since the flat turned out to be very quiet. If this was the only place we had stayed in London, however, I would have been disappointed by the basement flat. Overall, a very nice location near good restaurants. Quick stroll to Harrods. I too was perplexed by the lengthy check-off list required of guests and I literally spent an hour counting spoons and plates and trying to figure out what the heck a hob is (it's a stove, by the way). I was a bit surprised that such a pricey place would treat guests with such suspicion.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

This time I am staying 2 months, and I have stayed in 5 different rooms so far.
(I am still here!)
I have stayed in the following rooms:
Lower Ground Floor 2 bedroom Apt OB - doesn't feel like lower-ground, sunny and very nicely furnished. (second bedroom has the pull out of cupboard style bed that may not be as comfortable to some)
3E - very sunny and nice bay window. (pull out of cupboard style bed that may not be as comfortable to some)
4E - didn't like the windows being so high up - felt like a lower ground floor.
(TV might switch itself on at midnight - spooky; pull out of cupboard style bed that may not be as comfortable to some)
6B - this room has no bathtub, but the shower is really nice, and it is probably the best room they have for one person use! (TV might switch itself on at midnight - spooky.)
6C - (Currently now at) This is way too BIG for one person, but the other rooms have been booked and I have nowhere else to stay - Fergel has given me the Mary Poppins room... yes - indeed it is... very nice view. The bed, IS very comfortable!

*The housekeeping staff - Rosa is very thoughtful, when i moved room, she remembered to bring me my extra blanket to the new room! I am so touched!
Very courteous, friendly and helpful staff!!! Nice and helpful manager!

I just want to say - if u have LONG hair but do not want to bring your own dryer, B4 you use the one in the bathroom - WRAP the handle with a dry towel first ! Just take my word for it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

I travel a lot and prefer to stay in apartments where possible. My first stay at Phoenix House was pretty good. The rooms are not luxurious but above average in furniture choice and design. It is lovely having he concierge, assurance of a well-secured apartment, and the tube station very close by. There are some aspects that weren't up to scratch. First, they have this bizarre set-up whereby within 24 hours of arrival you have to check and sign-off that what they say in the apartment is indeed in the apartment. So you find yourself literally spending up to 2 hours going through their list with hundreds of items large and small: green sofa - check; side table - check; curtain rods - check; 4 teaspoons - check, tissue box - check; 3 coat hangers - check. And so it goes. If I had to do this every time I booked into a hotel, I would never get to actually do what I am there to do - my work. While I understand that people might steal things, the same is true of every hotel. This is total overkill and unnecessary. Other gripes: if you use a hair dryer, bring your own. Theirs is pitiful. Last, while I found the reception friendly there was a lot of drop out with the internet and they kept insisting that it was an issue with my computer - despite my spending an hour on the phone with their internet help and these professionals indicating that it was nothing to do with my computer at all but rather too little capability in the hotel to enable effective downloads. All in all an above average stay but there are some things they could do to improve this.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Our weeklong stay at Phoenix House was wonderful and even though it's been a few years I still don't mind shouting it from the rooftops! Our apartment was just beautiful and the pictures of it that we took home to Washington, DC were more popular than pics of Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral or Bath! The neighborhood was quiet and scenic and the tube stop at Sloane Square is just down the street. Restaurants, shopping and sites abound! A truly GREAT value I've recommended to many friends, two of whom have since stayed at Phoenix House. I will surely return again soon!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

We prefer to stay in rented flats or houses instead of hotels. So we thought this would be a good fit for us. The neighborhood was lovely, not touristy at all and we took the Tube everywhere with a very close stop (Sloane Square). Great restaurants and grocery stores close by, we even went to a movie theater within walking distance. We were not thrilled with the extensive "lease" they made us fill out for just a week and had us check off every item in the studio! (I would suggest they have a separate form for short stays.) I suppose someone must have stolen a bunch of stuff so now we all have to suffer. The studio itself was lovely, clean and well appointed and we very much enjoyed having the kitchen and high speed (which I got for free when I booked the room, every other place we were considering staying it was free). The doors were annoying for such a small space, I would suggest they just remove them all together or supply proper doorstops so we could prop them open. (too bad they didn't do pocket doors)
The one unfortunate "con" that really dampened our experience here was the price I was given for a our stay (which I had confirmed in an email and a signed contract) ended up being a "mistake" on the hotel managers part, he gave us the price for 7 nights instead of 8 nights and when we arrived, my husband noticed they had us checking out a day earlier, than what our contract specified. I tried to explain to him that his mistake was not our problem and we made our decision based on the price he gave us, he would not budge, so what were we to do, find a place to stay for 1-night? So we paid for the extra night. When we got home, we discussed it again and felt like it was a bait and switch. We emailed the hotel manager thinking he would realize it was his mistake and he still would not budge, so we filed a dispute with American Express and they took it off our bill for now...it's too bad he didn't just do the right thing the first day we checked in.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Cheval Phoenix House? Share your experiences!