“Noise & darkness” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
“Noise & darkness”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Great lobby, mediocre staff, but the rooms, oh dear...

But the worst are the rooms, and the hotel *completely* fails to inform on their website on what you have to expect:

- Rooms to the North face a noisy street. *These* are the most quiet rooms.
- Rooms to the East face a huge apartment block under construction. Heavy noise and workers looking straight into your room from 12 meters distance.
- Rooms to the south face a busy railway line.
- Rooms to the West face a huge construction site, with massive noise penetrating into the room. And of course, more workers just in front of your window.

Oh yeah, and then there are the rooms (1/3 of all rooms!) to the inner "courtyard". This is in fact a bottomless pit with no daylight whatsover. Absolutely no daylight, only one single electric floodlight shedding some dim artifical light. It's like looking into the inside of an oil tanker. In most European countries, this would not even have received planning permission as hotel rooms.

Should I mention that there's a huge construction site on top of the building itself, too`?

Approximately 90% of all rooms are either very noisy, or pitch dark. Not that the hotel would mention it, and not that prices would go down.

Do not believe the hotel website, there are no images of what you have to expect. No need to talk about the impertinent reception staff. No need to mention the windows that were so dirty that you could hardly see the street.

This was one of the worst hotel surprises I had for a long time.

Room Tip: Only the rooms directly facing the street are acceptable. But they account for less than 10% of the...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Korean first
Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife & I stayed here for 2 nights on 27th & 28th February this year to attend a family wedding. Other family members were staying as well.
We had an Executive River view room.
View was spectacular.....looking towards the London Eye & Houses of Parliament.

Check in was super quick & easy with very friendly staff.

Only slight problem being its location....it would take ages to walk to the main tourist areas, however; a short taxi ride costing £5 gets you into the thick of it, or a 15min walk to the nearest tube station.

Free wifi for only 24hours.....come on Park Plaza, this isn't a budget hotel,at least give guests free wifi access for the duration of their stay.

Breakfast was either continental of cooked....both buffet style, & very nice.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I normally stay on the sister hotel at Westminster bridge. The rooms in both hotels are broadly similar.

I would give the Westminster bridge hotel 5 stars, but have taken 2 off this property because of firstly, the renovations. I didn't have to attend meetings until 11 but any chance of a lie in were dealt a blow as renovation work to add new floors to the hotel kicked in. Secondly, the location. It's not as close to bars, resturants or general activity as the Westminster bridge property 10 minutes up the road.

This hotel was cheaper than the sister property but I'd pay the extra and stay at Westminster bridge, however when the renovations are complete I'm sure this hotel will prove to be a viable alternative.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Andrea D, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Riverbank London, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Ctron1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that the location of our hotel does not suit your needs but we do look forward to potentially welcoming you back in the near future and if you do decide to return please contact me directly at pprlgr@pphe.com and I will personally oversee your booking.

Andrea Donaldson
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I stayed in a balcony suite at the park plaza riverbank to celebrate my bday. The suite was spacious luxurious and the views unrivalled. The views are directly over the thames with all the major sites nearby. The restaurant Chino Latino was awesome and had an interesting menu. This hotel was amazing. It's def worth booking one of the suites. The staff were all totally charming. I can't wait to return !

• Stayed February 2015
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed here for the night to explore the sights of London! Hotel is good location for London Eye and the surrounding sights. Tube station about a 10 minute walk in the opposite direction so was no trouble getting around. Hotel really nice, visited the concierge and they were more than happy to help with any queries. Rooms really nice only fault was the room was really hot not sure why but had no air con and window was useless, other that that lovely hotel and stay!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
SGreenaway, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Riverbank London, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Miller2255,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such lovely feedback regarding your recent visit to Park Plaza Riverbank. You are indeed correct we are in a good location to visit the London Eye and nearby attractions. We are happy to read that you found the service of our Concierge team very helpful during your stay. I have noted your feedback regarding the room being to hot and would like to apologise for this discomfort However, I am pleased that this did not hamper your visit. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Samantha Greenaway
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I have stayed at the Park Plaza Riverbank hotel a number of times over the last year and I'm sad to say that I was disappointed by my recent stay.

Bad:
1) Had to wait an hour for the room to be ready.
Arrive early at 1:50pm (10 minutes before check-in) and was informed that I had to wait till 2pm in order to get my room key. I found this very trivial, but nonetheless waited for 10 minutes in the hotel bar.
At 2pm waited in line patiently to collect my room key but was told that the room had not been cleaned and thus had to wait approximately 30 mins for my room. I was offered a free drink in the bar. I stressed that if they could send someone to fetch me when the room was ready and was reassured.
50 minutes later, with no one from reception insight I went up again to reception to see if my room was ready. It still wasn't and was told to wait another 10 minutes. The staff were apologetic but made no attempt to rectify the situation or offer me compensation for the wait.

2) The rooms, esp the suites, are outdated and have signs of damage everywhere (marks on the floor, scratches etc). They definitely need to be updated and are not up to the standard of a 4* hotel.

3) As mentioned by several others the air conditioning doesnt work.

Good

1) Polite and friendly staff
2) Location is perfect for people here on business as away from the mass of tourists
3) Cheap place to stay.

Room Tip: Room 741 has great views of Parliament and Big Ben, but is right next to the construction site.
Dear Liam1992,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

I would like to apologise for the shortfall in service that you have encountered during your recent stay.

I have passed your feedback on to the relevant departments to improve on these areas.

Should your travels bring you back to the area please can you contact me directly so that I can ensure your next visit is enjoyable and we can make it right for you this time around.

Thank you for the great feedback you left regarding our team I will be sure to share this with them.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to show you the true Park Plaza Riverbank hospitality.

Samantha Greenaway
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

we were really pleased with the friendly atmosphere and excellent service and attention from the staff. Overall the staffing levels were more than adequate and the approach was way above the empty "have a nice day" style of most chain hotels. The restaurant is exceptional with original and wonderfully prepared food.
There is a lot building work and you have to pay extra to avoid it. We were there at the weekend. Noise stopped at 19.00 on the Friday night and started again at 08.00 on Saturday. It stopped lunchtime on Saturday and we did not hear any more until we left on Sunday. A simple note in the rooms affected would be helpful to let customers know the timings. Rooms at the front will be quieter but more expensive.
We were staying as part of a weekend package arranged with another company. We had breakfast included and were a little surprised that guests with this arrangement were sent downstairs to a different eating space which felt a bit like a canteen. The food and service were absolutely fine, but it did make us feel a little like second class customers.
Overall though we would return and the staff are to be commended on the friendly and helpful atmosphere throughout the hotel.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
SGreenaway, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Riverbank London, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Traveller225,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We were happy to read that you have experienced the individual service that we aim to offer all of our guests.

You are correct about the building work nearby; what can we say London is evolving at a very fast paste and it is rather unfortunate that some of this work has inconvenienced your stay.

We have taken the feedback you have left on board and continue to work very closely with the site to ensure that there is minimal disruption to our guests stay.

I have also noted your feedback regarding the breakfast room and would like to inform you that we are indeed looking into changing the location.

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us and should your travels bring you back to the area please feel free to contact me and I can arrange an upgrade to one of our front facing rooms.

I wish you a pleasant day.

Kind Regards,

Been to Park Plaza Riverbank London? Share your experiences!