“Lovely hotel, quieter than the other two Park Plaza's but a little bit out of the way” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Riverbank London

Save Saved
You added Park Plaza Riverbank London to your Saves list
Park Plaza Riverbank London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TJ, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #298 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We booked a room via Lastminute and got a really good rate for an Executive Room.

The room was more than we expected with lovely bathroom, plenty of wardrobe space, very comfy bed, flat screen TV and a lot of space generally.

We've stayed at both of the other Park Plaza's (which are about 20 mins walk away), and prefer this hotel although you are therefore 20 mins further away from the London Eye for example.

Breakfast was busy but supplied a good selection of food all served in a basement room with no windows which is kind of strange; mostly English breakfast choices but a wide selection of pastries also.

Our room was sideways on to the river so we could just about see the Thames but there are riverfront rooms if you want them.

Reception staff were excellent: very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and offered an efficient check out service.

We would recommend this hotel but be aware you are a little way out of central London and it will involve either walking or tube travel to get to the centre. Not a big deal but it's not very near to the tube.

We really enjoyed our stay and would probably stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
MarioGarcia-Vao, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Riverbank London, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Timgin,

It’s great to read about your pleasant experience and we thank you for taking the time to share it. We are also glad to read you have made us yoru preferred hotel in the area and we look forward to your next visit.

Senior Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Korean first
Cardiff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed on the 9th floor with a direct view of Vauxhall Station. Great if you are a train buff not so good if you want a long night of undisturbed sleep. Personally, I love transport so it didn't bother me but beware they run till 11:30 and start again at 5. So if they give you 905 or 903 unless like me you don't mind looking at 6 lanes of the London Transport Network, ask for a front facing room of the Houses of Parliament. What was not good was the thickness of the walls. Ok, Hotel can't do much about it now, but I heard chapter and verse of a couples discussion and they weren't shouting. But it needs soundproofing - all of a sudden the trains didn't seem that bad. Bathroom was nice with a separate shower. Room is quite well appointed and quite chic. Gym is functional but acceptable. Breakfast likewise and Staff are pleasant. Without the noise it would be 4 rated or even maybe a 5 but if you can't sleep what's the point of staying at a hotel?

Room Tip: Ask for a River view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear spongesdad,

Thank you for your review. We are terribly sorry to read about the noise coming into your room and we apologize for any possible disturbance. Rest assured we have put a lot of effort in preventing this with different noise isolations and I will pass this on to our Engineering team to ensure the measures are in place.

It was great however to read you enjoyed the rest of the facilities and we hope you will be back soon.

Kind regards
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Hotel is nice and clean and has a modern air about it, certainly in the public areas, our room (which was a disabled room) was adequate for the time we spent in it, although overlooked the rail tracks the double glazing kept the noise out.
The bathroom featured a walk in shower which shed water everywhere, so had to use towels all over the floor to mop up, it was apparent that, had we been disabled that the two hooks provided for the towels while showering would be beyond our reach, which would seem a poor design.
The room was booked as a superior deluxe and as this is down as a four star hotel, i wouldnt have classed it as a superior deluxe..

It is in a good location, near to westminster and the city

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MarioGarcia-Vao, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Riverbank London, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to write about your experience.

I do understand your concerns and I apologize for any inconvenience caused. In order to clarify the details of the booking I would appreciate should you send me an email to the address listed below. This way I will be happy to look into the case personally and resolve any possible miscommunication during the reservation process.

This notwithstanding I was glad to learn you had a pleasant stay overall and I look forward to hearing from you.

mgarciavao@pphe.com
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Back in August I wrote a less than complimentary review of this hotel and vowed never to return. I was contacted by Mario Garcia-Vao, Guest relations manager, who apologised and wanted to hear my concerns and put right a stay that I should have enjoyed in the first place. We decided to give the hotel another go, it was also my wife's birthday celebration and so see what if anything had been done at the hotel. It seems the staff had changed, no sign of the dreadful reception manager from our first visit with a couple of trainees on reception, both very courteous and professional. The concierge staff were friendly and helpful. Our executive room was on the 10th floor, far away from the trains, overlooking the river, Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, a lovely view. Balloons, a card and a bottle of wine awaited us in the room for my wife, wishing her a Happy Birthday. We were returning guests and they did make an effort for us, but also we noticed a complete change in the attitude of the staff compared to our first visit, and I have to give credit to Mario as most managers reading negative reviews will simply ignore them but that he responded and wanted to put right which is a credit to his profession and to the Park Plaza brand. There were a couple of hiccups but nothing worth mentioning and no where near the scale as before but we did have a lovely stay and will now consider future stays at the Riverbank - our faith so far has been restored.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better particularly facing the river side. Rooms ending 47, 45, 43, 41, 39 will...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed just the one night, B&B in this Park Plaza. Had good expectations as my colleagues had stayed there regularly & recommended it.

The room had a thermostat that did nothing, seemingly keeping the room at about 25+ degrees. This led to one of the worst night's sleep I've had. Went down to breakfast, given a table but not offered a hot drink by the waiting staff.

Also found that the lifts are ethier insufficient for a hotel of this size, or just badly setup. Waited minutes for lifts in the morning.

Mentioned all of this upon check out, front of house didn't know what to make of poor feedback so simply said sorry & sent me on my way.

There are better hotels in the area for roughly the same amount of money, I'd recommend finding one of them!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and the valued feedback contained in it.

I read your comments with concern and I can assure you that the described is out of the standards we pride ourselves for. I do apologize for the shortfalls experience and I would greatly appreciate should you provide me with further details of your booking on the email address below. This will enable me to investigate and react upon these issues, ensuring they are looked into by the different head of departments.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

mgarciavao@pphe.com
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a good quality hotel.

There is a small gym which is more for aerobic exercise as the weights are limited and tends to get busy around 6ish.

I stayed for 2 nights during which I ate in the hotel and the food was of a very good standard.

I had breakfast included in my room price and was seated in the basement breakfast area....the breakfast selection was a little lacking but was ok.

I understand that there are some executive suites on the top floors which I would imagine are very nice as I had a standard room which was very comfy, clean and had everything i needed (plenty of towels, iron, kettle etc...). I had also asked for a quiet room which I was provided with and so had a good nights sleep.

The views from the hotel were amazing and the staff were very attentive although they werent as friendly as staff at other hotels ive stayed in (which makes a big difference when working away from home)

Overall a good quality hotel with good access to London via the tube (or even by foot on a nice day). I will definitely be staying here again

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

It is with great pleasure that I read you enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you for your positive feedback.

In regards to your comments we indeed have different room types and I would suggest you opt for one of our rooms with River view, offering you a different and enhanced experience.

We hope we can welcome you back any time soon.

Paignton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel after staying in London last year, last year we stayed in the one up the road from this one, Park Plaza Westminster. Personally we both found that the Westminster hotel was much plusher than what this one seemed to look like online, as we looked at pictures before we booked. Also other things disappointed us, such as having no kettle in our room, it's pety i know, but we had one in the room we had in Westminster, it was just nice to have one. The room was also not as nice, we chose the same type of room to be sure it was the same experience as last time, but the decoration wasn't as nice as what we had at Westminster unfortunately.

Sadly another bad point about this hotel was the thin walls. I was surprised at how thin they were to be honest, and it just so happened that we had incredibly selfish neighbors next door to us. We stayed for 3 nights in this hotel and for the first 2 they were also there, i know it's not the hotel's fault but the couple that were next door was really rowdy, they played music at all hours, waking me and my boyfriend up several times at around 4am (both mornings), this was either because they were arguing, dancing & drinking, smoking ( i smelt smoke through the vents) or.. "getting close" to each other, or all of the above. One way to avoid being bothered by the last one would be to avoid having the huge headboards on the wall in the same place the room next door has theirs, we were able to feel every time they moved on their bed, annoying is not even the word for that. But again, the way these people acted weren't Park Plaza's fault, it was just a shame, it spoilt it for us really.

But anyway the hotel was great other than this, the breakfast variety was great! We didn't chose a bed and breakfast option last year but we're glad we did this time because there was such a range and it was all really nice, fresh and it was frequently being replaced, nice and fresh is always a good thing to see! The staff at reception were always friendly, the staff in the restaurants could have been more polite but they weren't massively rude. The staff in the bars were also nice too. The snacks they serve with the cocktails though! So spicy!!! Haha.

All in all, we had a really good time, the neighbors spoilt it for us, but that's just unlucky for us really! I feel sorry for everyone else who was on our floor too because we heard commotion from others at the early hours of the morning asking them to be quiet, but oh well! Thank god for ear plugs!!

I recommend this hotel, but personally i'd probably stay at the Westminster one if i was to go again and stick with their branch of hotels, mainly because it's more conveniently closer the things me and my boyfriend need when we're there.

Hope this helps anyone looking into going to this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to post your review online.

Firstly apologize for the possible disturbance caused by the noise coming from the room next door. As you commented some issues are out of the hotel hands however we encourage our guests to report any misbehavior so that we may act upon and ensure the comfort of our customers.

This issue aside I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay overall including the breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Senior Guest Relations Manager

Been to Park Plaza Riverbank London? Share your experiences!