“Sadly the hotel did not meet our expectations” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Riverbank London

Save Saved
You added Park Plaza Riverbank London to your Saves list
Park Plaza Riverbank London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TJ, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #257 of 1,071 hotels in London
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Sadly the hotel did not meet our expectations”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We live in Sussex and had booked in for one night at the Park Plaza Riverside Executive Room with river view and breakfast. It was a poor experience with equally poor customer service.
1. Despite booking a river view we were given an inside room with no view.
2. We asked to change rooms, but customer service did not come back to us at all.
3. The room was dark and noisy, as the lift was very noisy and we could hear all 4 lifts clearly whenever they moved floors. This kept us awake al night.
4. Breakfast was equally poor. We waited 15 minute to be seated and there was very limited food and the food was not good quality. When we had a table we waited 20 minutes for tea, despite asking two waitresses. There was no fruit juice glasses and there were no plates for the hot food for 15 minutes.
5. The manager called us when we complained for a third time. He was clearly not interested and made us feel as if we were bothering him. He made a vague non-specific promise of a better room for a future visit. I said we would not be going back to a park plaza hotel.
6. We were with good friends from the USA, and we were embarrassed taking them with us to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

1,785 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My flight arrived early in the morning and I was able to put my luggage in storage. They have locked room next to the concierge desk. They would have checked me early if the room type I reserved was available that early. I appreciate that they checked and were willing to check me in, in the morning. I reserved a executive room with river view. The view was amazing and worth the extra. Room was clean and modern with everything that I needed for my stay. Hotel is in a great location. I like to walk and was able to walk to all the major sights in central London.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Riverbank London, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

It is with great pleasure that I read how much you enjoyed one of our Executive Riverview rooms.

And as you rightly noticed - it is no problem to store luggage at the hotel on the day of arrival / departure.

I shall be looking forward to your next visit!

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I booked two rooms for 3 nights, direct through hotel website. We obtained the offer of Bed Breakfast Executive River View for 180 pound/night/room average, since what I really remember about this hotel was "the river view to Westminster", and I want it again. This was our second stay.

Staying to this hotel was part of our journey back with kids to UK after we haven't done it for 6 years. And the day of checked in was my wife birthday, hence we requested the small cake with candle prior of departure. I thought we would hamper her with small a surprise gift, but it was turned not surprise, since the cake substituted with chocolate and wine complimentary came very late. However, we must say thanks!

Perfect room location 847 and 845 to see the Westminster, but the higher lever perhaps will do better. The baby cot requested was perfect there, at one of the rooms. If you want to see the perfect view get the x47, but the higher is the better.

The hotel has been bit tired, need a refurbishment. The carpet, the bathroom, the decor was so outdated, the decor seems awkward with picture of the back of Korean lady traditional outfit. My kids joked that this Korean lady showing her face to only, and only to handsome man. What a joke! Lucky I m not that handsome man.

Hotel breakfast experience was good, three days in the row, kids still enjoying the selection of Continental and English Breakfast Buffet.

I tried a business center to print out the document, but found out that the business center has poor facility. The PC was old, and has no Microsoft Office set up. It has only capability to browse. In order to print, we need to ask the staff to print from their PC, what a hassle and poor facility, for such Park Plaza hotel that claim itself as a business hotel.

The room also not insulated well, we can hear the noise of kids screaming at night, from other neighbor room so clear as if they were in our rooms.

It was 3 days rainy days in London, we cant go out much activities outdoor. But the river view so magnificent offsetting the upset.

The concierge was good. Special mention to Bradley who tried sincerely to help us to get rental car on this peak season.

Taxi always ready, the bus stop is in front of hotel. But this hotel not in the middle of attraction, so for tourist traveler is not really convenience to sense London, but the view of London is the one we pay.

Room Tip: Room x47 or x45 for the best view of Westminster
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review online.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the view, it was a pleasure for us to be able to host you again.

Please rest assured that all your comments have been passed on to relevant departments and we will act on your feedback to improve our service where need be.

I hope to see you upon your next visit to London.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here with my family for a weekend and found the hotel to be very good value for money. It was in a great location meaning it wasn't far to walk to see the main sights and whilst we didn't use it, there was a tube station nearby. The staff here were very friendly and helpful which always makes a stay more pleasant. The room was very clean and comfortable with good quality complimentary goods available to use.
The only downside of this stay was with the breakfast. There wasn't enough seating for the guests meaning we had to queue for quite a while and although it was a peak time for breakfast I found this to be quite annoying. I also didn't really feel the it was worth the money as they did run out of certain things on the English breakfast.
However, I would not let this put me off staying here again. Maybe next time I would just order to have the breakfast in my room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Riverbank London, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am happy to read that you found the location convenient and the bedroom comfortable.

Please rest assured that we will act on your feedback to improve our service in future.

I look forward to welcoming you upon your next trip to London!

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. Room was modern and spacious with a lovely view of the Thames. Staff were for the most part helpful and Breakfast was fine, but was not impressed by the lunch buffet. Didn't get the chance to look around much on this visit, but the hotel is a short walk along the embankment to the London eye, Big Ben and the houses of parliament. Not much in the way of restaurants and bars, or shops, in this area - seems to be more of a business district.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Riverbank London, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments.

I was thrilled to read your good words towards our staff - this sort of feedback is always of great value to us.

I do hope you will get the chance to visit us again some time soon.

Gloucester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This hotel is located on Albert Embankment with views of the Houses of Parliament and near to many of the big sites. It is also very close to Tate Britain just across the water which was where we were headed.
The lobby and entrance hall is very large and impressive - it is a very big hotel. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful when I checked in.
We were in a standard double room on floor 9 which was well kitted out and comfortable. No view but we didn't expect one. Carpet slightly worn in the room but otherwise in good condition.
Couple of tiny problems: I was asked if I wanted to leave my credit card details on arrival so that I could add restaurant bills etc and I opted to pay as we went along. However I discovered when I reached the room that you couldn't get into the fridge unless you had left the credit card details first. Had to return to reception to do this. Once into the fridge, there was a tiny space for your own things and the fridge was computerised so that anything removed was somehow registered (including anything that you had put in). The other minor problem was that our room key deactivated itself twice for no apparent reason which required another return to reception.
Full English breakfast from the buffet was very good.
Overall enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

Indeed, we are located near to Tate Modern, as well as within commutable distance to all major London's attractions.

I appreciate your feedback, please rest assured that it has been forwarded to the relevant managers and we will action on it to improve our offering.

I look forward to welcoming you back at Riverbank again in future!

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Park Plaza Riverbank London? Share your experiences!