“Handier location than might be thought...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Riverbank London

You added Park Plaza Riverbank London to your Saves list
Park Plaza Riverbank London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TJ, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #324 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Glasgow
“Handier location than might be thought...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

As a hotel booking elsewhere got messed up an online search earned a bargain stop-over at this place. Albert Embankment doesn't immediately spring to mind but you'll have a good view down the Thames towards Parliament and the London Eye. Perfectly comfortable, well-appointed room and the bathroom was modern,clean and well-equipped. I had a room change yet in both rooms the TV did not work - and as the internet connection depended on the TV this was a bit annoying. Not least when you have a deadline. But the front desk and the maintenance guy were helpful and apologetic. Breakfast was surprisingly dire and is served in a basement "Club lounge" - not cheap if it is not included in your rate it might be best avoided and pickup a breakfast elsewhere. A good base for visitors, shoppers and business people you are a few minutes walk from Vauxhall underground and overground stations and so well-connected to London's public transport system. There is a 5th floor gym but given scale of the development a pool would have been welcome. Check with the front-desk re your room location : if you leave it to them not surprisingly you'll get a rear facing view and that's onto a railway line. There are good blackout curtains if you're sleeping late and on the whole noise insulation is good. Very helpful front desk.

• Liked — pleasant and inexpensive -for London
  • Disliked — the railway
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Korean first
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

No guarantee of not being at the back of the building (ie facing the rail tracks) unless prepared to pay £70 for an upgrade to an executive room - all other rooms face offices or similar at close proximity.

The hotel seemed to be over heated, and in the room the air conditioning to cool the room was ineffective and noisy, while opening a window made train noise worse (is it safe to have a fully opening window on the 9th floor?). Not a very restful night's sleep.

Breakfast was not ideal - queues to be seated, queues to get food. Staff had to be asked 4 times for tea and coffee. Cooked breakfast, although replenished regularly was cold and basic. I appreciate that they were busy (at 10.15am) - but while all other aspects of the public areas were superb this was a real let down in terms of quality and service.

On the whole this is a modern, reasonably well located hotel (though a fair walk to any nightlife) with all mod cons - attractively designed and furnished with a great bar and restuarant. Fair warning of views and noise levels would be appreciated and someone really does need to address the breakfast situations on busy mornings.

• Liked — The bathrooms
  • Disliked — The location next to the railway
  • Stayed November 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2007

The instructions I received on booking this hotel suggested it was within walking distance of Vauxhall tube. This is true but it's a 15 minute walk and not that easy to find! I felt this was a little misleading. Anyway, we arrived early but our room was ready and we were allowed to check in.

The hotel is very grand and impressive. We were dealt with by very friendly and helpful reception staff. We were in room 922 which was just a standard room rather than executive room but it was spacious by London standards, spotlessly clean with a nice big bed and good quality furniture. Definitely worthy of it's 4* rating.

The only problem we experienced was the noise from the nearby lifts. This was a constant whirring that we eventually got used to but had we been staying for longer than 1 night I perhaps would've asked to move.

In terms of location it felt like a very safe area to walk around at night and is fairly close to a lot of the main sightseeing attractions, which was good.

I booked the room for only £80 at lastminute.com and would definitely consider staying again at that price but if I had to pay the hotels advertised rates I would look for somewhere closer to the tube.

• Liked — Lovely room
  • Disliked — Not as close to public transport as hoped!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Bucks, Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for a Saturday night at the beginning of November 2007. I booked directly with the hotel and got a good rate. On arrival at Saturday tea time, we were sent to a second reception desk which deals with the club/residence and found we had been upgraded to an executive suite! Well, we entered the room and both just laughed! It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen - a massive bedroom with full length windows over looking the Thames, a fantastic bathroom with a shower big enough for about 6 people, a bath and loads of lovely toiletries. Also a fabby sitting area with tables, chairs, a desk area and again full sized windows. There was also a kitchen complete with a table, microwave, washing machine (!!), tea, coffee, complimentary water etc. We then found what we thought was a connecting door to the next room which had been left open - but no, this went through to a twin bedroom and another lovely bathroom - I began dreaming about how fab it would be to have enough money to live in this suite for a month or two! The bar is lovely - we got given a voucher for two complimentary drinks. We did not eat in the hotel, but walked along the south bank and ate in one of the restaurants just along past the London eye. It was a beautiful walk and we stopped at a bar on a boat along the way. Breakfast was taken in the executive lounge - the cold buffet was fine, but I did not touch the hot food - it did not look appealing and looked like it had been sitting there for ages. I felt sorry for the waitress who was continually on the 'phone to the kitchen asking for more hot food to be sent up. If I stayed again, I would eat breakfast in the restaurant. We got a complimentary paper delivered to our room and appreciated the late check out of midday as we chilled in the room for an hour or so after breakfast. I had no complaints about the location, but I love the south bank area. The hotel is about a 7 or so minute walk to Vauxhall tube - not hard to find at all. I would definitely stay here again - the staff were friendly, the suite fab too!

• Liked — View over Thames, clean, comfortable, location.
  • Disliked — That I could not stay longer! The cooked breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
York,UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

I've been staying at the Riverbank for quite some time with work and overall I have to say I'm pretty pleased. The rooms are a reasonable size, the beds are comfortable and food isn't bad either...

I've also had a few mixed experiences with rooms, mixed-up reservations and mis-billings that prevent me from lavishing the highest praise on this hotel.

The best advice I can give anyone checking into the Park Plaza is to ensure that you ask for a "quiet location" room as the rooms next to the railway are intolerably noisy, with trains running in and out of Waterloo every few minutes into the early hours.

On the whole there are many worse places you could stay in London, and from this hotel the houses of Parliament, the London Eye and Waterloo Station are within walking distance.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Variability of service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

We got a great deal for the park Plaza Riverbank from lastminute.com for £79.We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon and check in was smooth.The receptionist offered us the Executive package for only £35 and we got an Executive room with bathrobes,slippers,fruits,water and extra toiletries. We also had complimentry pre-dinner drinks in the executive Lounge.
We had dinner in the Chino Latino restaurant which was delicious.
I must say everyone we dealt with was very welcoming, friendly and professional.
Our room was clean and spacious. We had an excellent stay and i would recommend the park Plaza Riverbank to all my friends and family and I will definitely visit the hotel next time I'm in London as well.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Syd
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

I would not recommend this hotel.

On arrival I was upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite. The room offered no privacy as an office building overlooked it. When you looked to the left there was a view of a railway line that was noisy whilst the trains were running which seemed to be all night. If you craned your neck to the right you could see the Thames. The room itself was clean and modern. At 9am I attempted to have a shower but was unable to get any hot water. The front desk advised they had had a problem with the boiler overnight but it had been fixed. It was suggested if I had to go to work I should go, otherwise I could try later as it would take time for the hot water to get up to the 8th floor. At the time of check out there was still no hot water. The front desk kindly offered to waive all charges I had incurred. I had not incurred any charges and they were then unable to explain how the charges had been booked to my room.

The hotel is close to St Thomas hospital and nothing else, there are no pubs or restaurants nearby. The nearest tube stop should not be considered within walking distance nor is it anywhere that somebody who is staying at a 5 star hotel would wish to go.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Park Plaza Riverbank London? Share your experiences!