“Great location and quaint feel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Clarendon Hotel

You added The Clarendon Hotel to your Saves list
The Clarendon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34-37 Bedford Place | Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5JR, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #449 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Cheltenham
“Great location and quaint feel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, 200 metres from the British Museum. I had an Executive room which was at the front of the building, with a high ceiling, plenty of windows and a view of the street. It's London so don't expect tranquility but I thought it was very acceptable. Hotel itself is quiet.
Breakfast which seems to be included if you book direct was plentiful and reasonable quality.
King size bed and plenty of space. Building only has three floors so if you like low rise it's a great choice.
Only downsides: bathroom lighting wholly inadequate, windows in need of repair and some minor things like the phone just looked grim. However, very clean and seemed like fair value for price paid. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Overall little to fault.
The Tv system is awful and you have to go back into the basic GUI just to change channel bizarre!
The room was of a very high standard and they upgraded me!
My breakfast was the best cooked I've had in a hotel
Tip- ask for a room high up overlooking the garden as said in other reviews

• Stayed March 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

After defending the Clarendon's sister (The Lancaster) I feel a little cheated. Following our stay at the Lancaster in Feb 2009 I was very impressed and felt the need to defend it against what I thought were unfair reviews about the size of the rooms, breakfast etc.

So when we returned to London we booked within the same chain with what we thought was an equivalent hotel. Sadly the room was tiny, the breakfast bog-standard and unimaginative and one of the receptionists seemed to be consistently rude to us. The room was comfortable and we had an ensuite which was an upgrade from the Lancaster however if I wanted a neutral box I would have gone to a travel lodge, the bedrooms at the Lancaster were much more thoughtfully decorated, the room was larger, the breakfast nicer and it generally felt more like a boutique hotel should be. The lack of bathroom at the Lancaster wasn't an issue as it was right next to our room and huge!!

Finally the worst thing- having paid for a 'Standard Room' I expected standard. Instead we got a basement room with large windows that opened wide enough so that if someone got down from the street to the space outside then they could have got in. When we went to bed we heard a rumbling every 5 mins. We finally worked out that it was the Piccadilly Line underneath us. Finally got to sleep at around 2pm, I imagine this would be a problem participially if we had an extendead stay.

Room Tip: Check to make sure you aren't getting a basement room, also go to the Lancaster instead....you l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
München
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Spent two nights at the Clarendon during my London trip. Nice little hotel with typical English furniture. Situated in a small quiet street but only a 5 minutes walk from tube station Russel Square. Rooms heading to a garden so you can be sure to get your sleep.
I don't need a late night beer at the hotel bar so I didn`t mind that the bar in the Clarendon is not really a place to party. Overall a good choice to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms heading to the garden site are the best choice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is a really beautiful hotel, the rooms are huge, clean and bright. really enjoyed my stay here over the weekend and feel it deserves a good review, got this hotel ata reasonable price considering London prices and it really was value for money, the area is stunning and its close to everything, really cannot reccomemend this hotel enough it help made a really fantastic weekend,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this charming hotel recently for a Theatre/ shopping weekend. The Clarendon is perfectly situated in an ideal location for all things "London" with short walks to Covent Garden, British museum, Brunswick Centre or quick taxi ride to Regent St, Oxford Street and Kings Cross.
Check in was smooth and the lovely receptionist gave us an upgrade which was a welcome surpise. Our room on the second floor to the rear of the hotel, was large, clean and had everything we needed for a pleasant stay. The en-suite was a good size, clean with fluffy, white towels.
The concierge service was outstanding and nothing was too much trouble.
We didn't eat in the hotel, preferring to take breakfast in Patisserie Valerie near Covent Garden.
No complaints and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Charged far too much for what was on offer, customer service wasn't great. Considering how much I paid I would of expected breakfast with the room. I wouldn't recommend or stay there again.
It didn't help that I had problems getting there due to snow, no one on the other side of the phone could even be bothered to help and kept trying to forward me on to someone else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to The Clarendon Hotel? Share your experiences!