“Not as bad as expecting” 3 of 5 stars
Review of European Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added European Hotel to your Saves list
European Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11-15 Argyle Square, London WC1H 8AS, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #779 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not as bad as expecting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I was booked into this hotel through my work and did not have a choice about staying but checking the trip advisor reviews myself and my colleague was expecting bad things. It was not as bad as we were expecting and some of the points raised in the awful reviews were fair comment. The staff were not the best from a customer service perspective but not rude. The rooms are small and the particularly the shower/toilet room. The shower was the first shower I have had in my life where even after spending a while in there I was still able to come out with dry parts of my body, the water pressure was appalling. Breakfast was ok nothing spectacular but filled a hole.

If you thinking of staying and only a short stay, then I say don't let the poor reviews put you off, it provides the basics and that may be all you are arter.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Im not going to waste anymore time on this hotel, the staff were rude, the room was very small, breakfast was disgusting and no one could speak understandable english.

please do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

3 of us girls booked this hotel for a one night mid week stay because we were going to see Jersey Boys. the location was great a short walk from st pancras station & all main line tube. so connections were great and easy accessible. we were on the 3rd floor (no lifts) so challenging with suitcases. on a negative quite small rooms and the water flow was a trickle and not very hot for the shower, i complained and was told to run it for a while, ok this worked but the pressure was low. that said we wanted a cheapey one night stay for sleeping so this was not really too much of a problem. we booked brekfast, it was just okay nothing to write home about and have had better, in terms of more choice.cooked breakfast was served from a hot trolly bacon was eggs were sat in grease..i would book again if i came to london but would specify a room on a lower floor and probaly not have brekky (macdonals on corner of street). reception staff appeared friendly, however at brekfast the staff did not speak to us, not even a good morning. this was one of the cheapest option in LOndon and i would say the standard refects that, it is what it is.

Room Tip: enquire about rooms before booking, especially if mobility probs, you need to be physically fit as n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I felt I needed to warn others about this shambles of a hotel, but really don't want to waste anymore of my time on it, staying there was was an experience I want to soon forget, owner was horrible and bitter, when hearing her attitude to other residents complaints I simply didn't want to waste my breath, and got out, one look at the horrendous breakfast buffet meant we left and ate elsewhere, the place has gone to the wall, its unloved dirty cold and I wouldn't let my pets stay there, please avoid this place. Go somewhere that the staff actually care about service and respect the establishment they own.

• Stayed March 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

What can I say about this Hotel! Well doesn't look like anything in the pictures advertised! The room was the size of a show box, the bed was shoved up against the wall and a hole was dug out the floor to try and keep it level! The bathroom you couldn't open the door fully to get and couldn't shut it even if you wanted to! The smell in the room was of stale urine and just not clean at all. The food was awful and cold and looked
like it had been there a week! Not worth the money and would never stay there again!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I will start the review with the one and only good thing about this hotel, the location. Around a 2 minute walk away from kings cross station it was great for just jumping on the underground. When I arrived at the European hotel the hosts at the reception were less than friendly. Speaking English (not well) she pointed me in the direction of my room which I may add was 5 houses away and giving me the keys. When I finally found my room with help from the cleaner, I felt as though I had walked into my niece's doll house and felt like walking straight back out. The room was tiny there was a double bed and around a metre to walk at one side of the bed and at the bottom. There was nowhere for me and my partner to put our bags so we kept them at the bottom of the bed which then meant we had a metre of room to walk between the bed and the door. There was a tiny dresser with a t.v on which we had to tune ourselves as it was not up to date with the latest freeview channels. There was also a tiny wardrobe which could barely fit a pair of shoes width. The en suit was so small me and my partner had to take turns brushing our teeth and the roof was literally falling on our heads as the fan had obviously not been in frequent use and there was no windows so the room was very damp. The shower was scummy with rust and god knows what covering the head and the walls. The bathroom was so small that there was no room between you and the wall at the side of the toilet for a toilet roll holder so it was placed high above, behind the toilet which as you can imagine was unbelievably inconvenient. When I flushed the toilet it sounded asthough a very small but very real jumbo jet was landing in our room and at one point I thought it had broke and we would have to evacuate. Our view from outside of our £150 for 2 nights room was a brick wall literally a rulers width away which meant I felt very claustrophobic. Imagine a tiny room, nowhere to walk and the view of a brick wall, we spent no time in our room apart from sleeping. Speaking of sleeping, the minimal sleep we had wasn't great. The bed made crunching and squeaking sounds with every breath, there was discolouring on the wall at the side of the bed due to damp and I spent half of my city break listening to cath next door talk about her troubles at work thanks to paper thin walls. On our final day I gave the hotel the chance to redeem its self with breakfast before out long journey back to Manchester, I probably should have just starved and gone straight home. When I went down to breakfast I was met with a tiny 'canteen' which felt like a youth hostel. The breakfast was very limited with sausages, egg, beans and tomatoes. As my partner and I queued for the breakfast, there was an elderly foreign man helping himself very slowly. It seemed as though he had Parkinson's or another form of disability and we were happy to wait for him to collect his breakfast, the cook obviously didn't feel the same. She shoved past him trying to put some toast down very vigorously, she probably tried around 4 times until saying something in a foreign language (Latvian/Russian) and aborting the mission, she stumbled back into the kitchen. Another woman (with presumably longer arms) then came out and put the toast down once again shoving past the frail man. Me and my partner were astonished, very very rude! We then got a drink of what I could only describe as warm filth disguised as orange juice and TRIED to sit down. The tables were so close I had to slide into a small seat in the corner where I could barley breathe and still feel as though suffering from broken ribs. When tucking into my food my partner and I had a 2 spoons and a knife, very inconvenient for our sausage and toast (that is all that looked barley eatable) as there was no other cutlery left and none brought out in the 10 minutes we were there. As we were leaving a French man asked the woman at the front desk to ring a taxi, she replied with 'ok, £52' he replied with 'No it says £33 on this sign' which was located at the reception reading 'taxi to heathrow £33' she snapped with 'No hes saying £52, do you want it or not?'. The man looked flustered and agreed and as a foreign visitor looked confused as to why the sign read £33 and he was paying £52, but he got no explanation and he reluctantly paid the fee. I feel lucky to have gotten out of the place alive. I am 17 years old and my partner is 18, to say I usually live in a filthy typical teenagers room, I wouldn't even let my dog visit the European hotel kings cross as he could very easily be shouted at, kept in squalor and maybe catch something. This is a very very true review I payed £150 for 2 nights and I am more than disappointed I feel cheated and upset I took my boyfriend for a nice weekend away and ended up taking him to this place. He probably would have rather stayed at home/on the street. STAY AWAY FROM THIS RUDE,DIRTY AND TERRIBLE HOTEL...save yourselves.

Room Tip: Don't pick one
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

stayed here for 2 nights before going on eurostar to brussels the hotel was very close to kings cross/st pancras stations only 2/3 mins walk . The room was very small only about 6ft x 8 ft with a small double bed tiny wardrobe and small dressing table with mirror , The en suite was very small as well and we had to devise a system of manoveres to move around to be able to get ready at the same time , however the room was very clean and nice white sheets and towels changed daily. the room had a small tv with freeview also tea/coffee making facilities .Staff where helpful and friendly. The breakfast wasnt great only cornflakes no other cereal cooked breakfast was basic bacon sausage eggs beans toast coffee and tea was luke warm and dining area was quite dismal being lots of small rooms with archways bare tables and was in cellar. For £40 perperson per night in london and near to kings cross i think its good value but i would try to pay a bit more for a bit better if i stay in london again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to European Hotel? Share your experiences!