“Very nice youthful hostel with a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Generator Hostel London

You added Generator Hostel London to your Saves list
Generator Hostel London
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   37 Tavistock Place | Russell Square, London WC1H 9SE, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #64 of 662 Specialty Lodging in London
“Very nice youthful hostel with a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I was visiting London for one week in the beginning of December and stayed at Generator Hostel during my stay. The overall atmosphere is very youthful and vibrant. The people at the hostel were very nice, both employees as well as thr customers. Felt very safe during my whole stay.

The only criticism for Generator concerns the temperature and the toilets. I lived in the fifth floor and at least there the rooms and the corridors were absolutely FREEZING. The temperature inside was around +15°C. The radiator in the room didn't give that much heat and the windows gave in a lot of cold air inside. Because of the cold I'm now having worst flu EVER after returning back home.

The toilet/bathroom in fifth floor was also freezing. Showering in the fifth floor wasn't a pleasant experience so I decided to use the one in fourth. The toilets were also all the time jammed with no actually a possibility to use either the toilet in the fourth or the men's...

And yes, you should prepare to live with the opposite sex in the same room! For me, I was the only girl in our 4-bed bedroom which was a bit intimidating a bit at first. However, the roommates were supercool so no hazzle caused.

The good sides were the following:

- wifi worked all around the house with no problems whatsoever
- lots of power sockets everywhere to charge up your phone
- nice and neat social spaces (cafe, restaurant, bar, movie room)
- ultimately cool interior design!
- hostel had guards 24/7 ensuring that only appropriate persons get in

Improvement ideas:

- personal lock-up boxes to the bathrooms so that you can leave your personal belongings there while you are showering
- small lights for each bed - now there was only the light on the roof which cannot be used if you're living with roommates (and they're sleeping)
- more hangers in the joint rooms
- more proteins for the breakfast

All in all, VERY pleasant experience despite the ultimate cold. I will be back next time!

Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I went to this Hostel during my trip to London on September of 2014.

Transport: Metro: 10 minute walk | Bus pass on street | Cabs: To expensive.

Location: Its not beautiful outside, hard to identify and believe that in the alley of the afress you will find a grent hostel. It is not close to the center, but it is close to the Camden Town, region that I really enjoyed to visit and to British Museum, that is really amazing.

Facilities: All new, good furniture, cleaning, services and amazing internal decoration. I only thing is: on shared rooms there is no individual light and power plug. It is located bellow the window and you have to leave your things far from the bed. There is a great bar and lounge room.

Breakfast: OK, nothing special and for sure not that bad.

Atmosphere: Don't worry. Alone or with your family, old or young, you will be comfortable.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I recently stopped here with 3 friends and we stayed in the 4 bed-dorm, it was pleasant and well worth the money. The bar was great and we found the service and prices were very good for London. The main problem which we all agreed was one of the men on the door, he was incredibly rude the whole time. When it came to the end of our 3 day stay and we'd checked out we had a couple of hours to wait for our train but he tried to kick us out, he knew full well we'd been there all weekend and knew exactly what the situation was, he seemed to have a problem with a lot of people from what other customers said. Another slightly disappointing part was i met a friend I hadn't seen for years whilst in London but he wasn't allowed to come in for a drink with us at the bar so we had to leave. All in all the location and upkeep are brilliant and it has the potential to be great but unnecessary things let it down massively, enough for us to never return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is a great Hostel. The Hostel is very clean, modern and nicely designed. Location is also good. Hostel is about 8 minutes walking from Kings cross Station. The price per night was very good. Food and drink were also good at a really reasonable price too. The Looker room was also really good. I felt very save here they had security 24h a day. Security all around the Hostel. Excellent service. I would defiantly return.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, yesterday
Hi AmericanEagel,

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts after your recent stay with us here at Generator London. What an excellent review.

I was delighted to read your review and particularly your comments on feeling safe and secure along with offering excellent service. Please be assured I will be passing this on to the Team here and we really do appreciate all guest feedback.

I do hope we will see you back again soon.

Best wishes and Seasons Greetings,

Lenny Hughes – GM Generator London
Oleiros, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hostel is very nice. Great location (5-10 minutes walking from Euston Station, Russell Square Station, Kings Cross Station) and really close to the British Museum.

First day of my visit, I didn't even used the public transport, I walked everywhere to the centre.

The rooms are a bit small, but enough if you travel with a group of people. The inconvinience would be if you have to share with people whom you don't know or who are very messy... But beds are comfy, the temperature was great (last time I stayed in London, the room was frozen!), and the noise is the usual for a hostel where people come and go at very different times.

Few rooms have toilet or shower in, you have to share, but they are clean and I didn't have to wait to use the showers (only once, five minutes) or the toilets.

The staff were really nice!

And if you have to leave the city at night, they have luggage storage available so that you can go around without your suitcases (that was great!).

If you visit London, this is a great choice!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hi Spiuni,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.

I am thrilled to hear that you had such a great time with us, and I will be passing on your awesome feedback to the whole team here in London.

I hope we will be seeing you again in the future.

Best Wishes

Lenny Hughes - GM Generator London
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We went for a 3 day trip to London, and statyed in Generator Hostel for three nights in a three bed room.
Service- Reception and the check-in was a a little hectic, maybe because of lot of people checking in and checking out at once.
Rooms- Clean, basic and ok to stay in only for sleeping and nothing more. Beds were comfortable and clean.
Bathroom- We had a bit of a journey to get to the bathrooms because we were in the far end of the corridor. Bathrooms were not that clean and tidy, don't know if there was any cleaning service. Always wet floor, a lot of hair around (girls showers). But they had toilet paper all the time and they have hairdryers available for free use.
Breakfast- Basic breakfast, not a lot to choose from. Including cheese, ham, bread, cereal, coffee and tea. Not very tasty.
Bar and lounge- Fancy, place to sit in the evening and get to know people, drink and play pool. Nice to just relax in if you don't want to go out and find another place. Prices of drinks pretty basic, and same as in other places.
Wifi- Available for free all around the hostel.
Security- Living in the private room we felt safe. There are guards outside the hostel always checking who is going in and out, so no sketchy people around. Quite nice and quiet area.
Location- Good location for the price. Underground was a 8 minute walk from it, busses and taxis available in the area. Also ok and easy access from the airport.
Other facilities available like laundry place, safe boxes to close your belongings a tv room and restaurant.
Overall: Good hostel, for just sleep and relax in the evening. Good sleep quality in private rooms. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Hello AnnaZM,

Many thanks for sharing your Generator experience after your recent stay with us in London.

It sounds like overall we've hit the right spot and I do hope we will be seeing you again in the future.

I just wanted to touch on your comments about the bathrooms, we do have a 24/7 housekeeping team who work to keep them in a top notch condition but we very much appreciate the feedback as it will help us to better the service we are providing.

Hope to see you soon

Best wishes

Lenny Hughes - GM Generator London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for a few nights in late October, early November. 10-15 min. walk from train station. Arrived early and the staff were very helpful with us. Stayed in a 10 bed mixed room and was very clean and had room to put your bags away. Has a pretty good vibe around the place, can order meals from the bar which are very good for a hostel. If your keen on good wifi this place delivered!

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi Antoz35,

I was thrilled to read your review and that we were able to create a memorable stay for you while you were with us in London. I will pass on your comments to all the team here who I know will be equally delighted.

I do hope we will see you again.

Best Wishes, Lenny Hughes – GM Generator London

Been to Generator Hostel London? Share your experiences!