“awesome for partying, terrible for sleep” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Generator Hostel London

You added Generator Hostel London to your Saves list
Generator Hostel London
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   37 Tavistock Place | Russell Square, London WC1H 9SE, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #75 of 684 Specialty Lodging in London
Moscow, Russia
“awesome for partying, terrible for sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

My sister and I picked this hostel after reading lots of rave reviews, because we wanted to stay in a central location and, yet, have as good of a service and facilities as it is possible with a hostel. We stayed at a 2-bed ensuite, deciding to pay more for a more comfortable stay (we traveled through UK on a budget, and London was our final destination). The room was large and the shower was great (although you had to let the water run for a few minutes to get it hot). The staff was very nice and helpful, the cafe was great with very good food, terrific English Breakfast and inexpensive beer! Unfortunately, we found out that without a few pints of either beer or cider it was completely impossible to get any sleep at all! Our room was on the 2nd floor and, as it turned out, right above the dancefloor area. The music went on until 2 AM very loudly, people were yelling in the corridors, the doors were banging like it was the end of the world (partially, it seems, because of how they were made and not because they were necessarily slammed). The trash was only taken out of the room once- every other time we had to tell the reception to do something about it. The room was very cold. A few times we went to the bar just to find a crowd of drunk teenagers trying desperately to get each-other's attention. Overall, the hostel is a great place if you want to just party and socialize. Probably best for single travelers. But if you want a good night's sleep, it's better to find something else at a better price. For us, unfortunately, our stay wasn't worth the money we payed. On a good note - there's lots of security in the hostel which makes you feel very safe. And they're not just there for fun. They really do make sure that you're safe. And they're very nice and friendly!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

If you like your hostel to be juiced up as if it just had 3 monster energy drinks and is ready to get laid then this place is for you. If you like doing that too then it's perfect!

Preface: Reviews are completely contingent on expectations. Consider what you are expecting? Then you'll be able to accurately critique.

My girlfriend and I had expectations that we'd pay money for a clean dorm in which we could rest our heads and sleep at night. It was clean and the hostel as a whole was nearly immaculate, but sleep we did not.

This hostel is one of those places that prides itself in having everything a party-traveler could want so that they never have to leave. This is arguably lame. This also implies a lively bar scene, paid DJ, and drunks cackling until the early morning refusing anyone in their 1-floor radius any sleep.

The doors slam loudly and abrassively here. This is both a fault of the hostels constructive, and the immature party going crowd it attracts.

The light switches are difficult to manage and are not intuitive to switch off (roommate had to ask front desk at 2 am how to turn them off).

We reserved a 4 bed dorm but got a 6 bed dorm for the same price. Front desk told us we got a deal since now we get our own bathroom. That's nonsense because more people = worse sleep = downgrade.

Front desk attendant was sweet but thick skulled. Did not understand how this was a downgrade.

The pros of Generator are the delicious cafe food, the ability to meet many travelers, the pleasant morning cafe scene, the location, and the hot excellent shower. Their full English breakfast is the best I had in england.

The African cleaning dudes were my favorite people to interact with.

Horrible sleep though results in my overall rating being poor.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Hello David W,

Firstly can I thank you for taking some time after your departure from us in London to share your feedback about your stay. As I am sure you can imagine, with so many guests coming and going it’s great to hear what they have to say after their stays.
I am disappointed to hear that we have not met your expectations on this occasion and that you felt the ‘Party Going’ crowd were not to your taste. Please accept our apologies.
We pride ourselves on having a social vibe in all our properties and try to create experiences for our guests as they travel Europe. I hope you managed to speak with the manager on duty about the noise and that you were offered a room move to a quieter part of the building.
There are occasions when we will unfortunately have to allocate slightly different rooms than those that have been booked due to system availability or error. As we have had to do this for yourselves we have allocated you into a room with a private en - suite as way of compensation. Our en - suite 6 bed dorms sell for the same or higher than the standard 4 bed dorm you had originally booked, and although not what you booked, it was not a downgrade.
Our doors are designed to close in the manner in which they do, to prevent them being left open when people are leaving the room. I understand this may have been frustrating, but is for the safety of our guests and their belongings.
It’s great to hear that you enjoyed our food offering, and the social vibe of our spaces during the breakfast period. I will pass on your comments to the Housekeeping manager who will be more than happy to pass on your feedback to his team.
Once again can I thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, and if there is anything else I can help you with please feel free to email me at: Lenny.hughes@generatorhostels.com.
Best Wishes

Lenny Hughes – GM Generator London
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This was the first hostel I've ever stayed in - it was a couple of years ago, so this review is long overdue! I was traveling alone and stayed in a female-only 8 bed dorm and it was really fun, and definitely interesting. I met a lot of cool people. I didn't eat there, but the bathrooms were clean. Not a whole lot of privacy, but I was expecting that.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The first time I've been there 7 years ago. Back then, everything was quite scruffy and nasty.
I heard about it, that they had renovations and that everything is new so I had to check it out.
Now the hostel is astonishingly clean and of very good quality. I stayed in a twin room with a friend.
The beds were very comfy and the room was very clean.
The bathrooms and showers were very clean and of good quality as weel 24/7.
The breakfast was ok as well. Unfortunately a lot of hostel visitors don't care about others or are pigs and leave the breakfast buffet and breakfast area in a huge mess.
Anyway, there is not really something bad to say about this hotel. Everything looks cool, the rooms are tidy and the staff is helpful. A special compliment to the room maid for doing such a great job in the hostel.
I'd defenitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Private Twin Room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear ChrigiZH,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your good review and thank you also for checking out the newly refurbished Generator London. I have passed on your great feedback to the Team with particular mention to our housekeeping team for your comments on cleanliness.

Please keep spreading the Generator word and we hope to see you back again soon. (Not 7 years from now.)

Lenny Hughes-GM Generator London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed in a female-only 8 bed dorm on the bottom floor. Was a last minute Easter Weekend booking as I missed my train for personal reasons, I called numerous hostels which either were full or could not hold a room for me without paying over the phone (Sadly my card was not convenient when calling) but Generator advised they would have a room if I came by as soon as possible. I stayed for 1 night and I wish I'd stayed here in the first place. Comfortable facilities, female only shower/toilet areas, nice bedding (though climbing the bunk beds was a little difficult without hitting your head on the ridge in my room) and breakfast/towel for an additional fee. Seemed clean and vibrant so easy to meet other travellers and staff watched the doorway at later points to protect both local residents and guests. Close to train stations Euston/Kings Cross and I'd say walkable distance to many main sites (30 min max to Camden market/Covent Garden/Leicester Square). I will stay here on my next solo visit to London without bothering to look at other places.

Room Tip: Less beds in room = less likely to have a messy room/disturbed sleep but more beds = more likely to...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hey SnobleonTour,

Thank you for the great review, we much appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I'm delighted you will not bother looking at alternative hostels next time you are in London and I hope to be able to welcome you back again very soon.

Please keep spreading the Generator word...

Lenny Hughes-GM Generator London
Curitiba, PR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Very cool hostel! Awesome staff! I don't ate in the place, but i hear that have a great food! The bathrooms are clean, the rooms have some mess but is acceptable, is a hostel and they don't have control of the people hosted.....

I would go again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Hey Pedrofpch,

Thank you for the Nice review, we much appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I have passed this on to the Team here, who are delighted. Cleanliness and friendliness are two of our top priorities and we hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back again sometime soon.
Please keep spreading the Generator word...

Lenny Hughes- GM Generator London
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I had a fantastic time at the Generator, as a solo female traveler staying for 8 nights. The hostel itself is beautiful, immaculate and modern, and I always felt safe. The area is close to lots of major attractions and just a few minutes away from King's Cross. The staff were always friendly and helpful, and there was so much to do in the hostel itself. Great food, drink specials, bar, activities ...overall amazing.

My only 2 complaints were: lack of plugs in the rooms, and the breakfast was a huge disappointment. It was listed as having croissants, spreads, bread, cereal, fruit, juice and coffee which was a bit of a stretch. For £4.50 I got white buns, no spreads other than butter, and canned, syrupy fruit. I was very surprised with the lack of breakfast quality, considering everything else they did so well.

However, despite those two things, I would recommend this hostel to anyone. It truly is the best I've stayed in.

• Stayed April 2014
Hi tinyjumper,

Wow, thank you so much for your great review. We were delighted to read your excellent feedback and also much appreciate your comments about breakfast and plug sockets. Its very pleasing to see that you were with us for 8 nights and you found the Team very friendly and helpful and also that you had the chance to spend lots of time in the hostel.

I really hope to have the chance of welcoming you back again soon.

We are delighted you found us to to be one of your favourite hostels.#Genlove..

thanks again

Lenny Hughes- GM Generator London

Been to Generator Hostel London? Share your experiences!