“Albion house (mmm that's if it's there you stay)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Albion House Hotel

You added Albion House Hotel to your Saves list
Albion House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Argyle Square | King's Cross, London WC1H8AL , England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #821 of 1,066 Hotels in London
tyne & Wear
“Albion house (mmm that's if it's there you stay)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I'd booked Albion house for a nights stay in London to celebrate our coral wedding anniversary and to see a show. The guy on the front desk( at the Melville where we had to check in) was very polite he said we could leave our bag till check in later at 2pm. We went for a wander and went back for 2. We were then took to our room which was in the Excelsior and not the Albion, he gave us a couple of different reasons why it was changed, none very convincing I.e something was wrong, then there been a electric problem but we were still to go to there for breakfast next morning ?.At the time of booking I didn't know we could be put in any of these 3 houses and they were all linked together, the reception picture on website seems to be that of the Melville and not Albion. We were took up to third floor( no lift) n into a tiny little entrance, the room was very small and the bed was right next to the window, but it was spotless. There was no plug for the sink and when I went to use the shower it was freezing and half the water ran down the back of piping. I wished I'd realised we would have to go else where for breakfast as I wouldn't of paid for it and also hadn't realised it was toast &cereal, don't no how much I paid for us to have two slices of toast, me a juice and my husband a tea. The gentleman who seemed to be in charge of this seemed more interested being on his mobile than taking time to explain to help yourself to the food. We had to check out by 11am and it cost us £1 per bag to leave bags till our train later that afternoon.It's an ideal location for kings cross, but other than that I don't think id stay again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Albion House Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and your time taken to give us valuable feedback.

There are a number of things here to reply to you about.
We gave you an upgrade on your room firstly and this was in the Excelsior Hotel. You had booked a Petit Double room at the Albion - this room has a small double bed 4ft wide and en ensuite bathroom ( which you had booked ). We decided to upgrade you to a Superior Double room which has a 5ft Double bed and an ensuite bathroom. We thought this would be more comfortable for you and you would appreciate the extra comfort of the upgraded room regardless of which one of our houses you were located in.

All the houses in our chain are Grade 2 listed Georgian Townhouses - this means in essence we can not install an elevator in our building as it contravenes British Heritage Laws. We have all this information clearly displayed on our website. We did infact carry your bags up to your room. We carry all luggage for our guests - this is our company policy and is part of our service we offer.

Positves- You stated the room was spotless . We take a lot of time and care in cleaning and servicing our rooms ; we are glad the room was to both of our satisfaction. Location is ideal-

Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Greek first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

So I booked the hotel for my mum and me, after finally finding the hotel there was NO 24hour reception, there was no reception, we had to go to a sister hotel to check in. Once we got to our room the manager came up and stripped down the beds and inspected the sheets to make sure they were clean, very off putting. And the pics on the website looked to be from the sister hotel Melville. Will not be back!

Stayed February 2014

Thanks for your review.

We would like to say that our 24 hr reception is located next door at the Melville Hotel. This is where our guests check in and have access also our 24 hr guest lounge as well. This is also clearly displayed on our website . At the the Albion House there is a small reception there as well which is open from 6pm to 6 am .

All information is displayed clearly and easily on our website ; so please be sure to read the important stuff ! You fill find everything about our services and rooms all on our website.

Thanks for your review

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

What was meant to be a romantic surprise night at the Albion for my boyfriend's and my anniversary, ended up being a total horror. Thankfully, he forgot which week the hotel was booked and so wasn't able to make it. The room was small, poorly fitted, damaged, and unfinished - no linen on pillow cases, broken side of table, and nothing like the photos - there wasn't even a proper handle on the bathroom!
Having only stood in the room for 2 minutes, I went to reception to ask if I could refund my stay and leave, since I would be alone and no longer needed the room, and also it wasn't as advertised. The response I got was a half hearted 'you haven't given us notice, so you can't have a refund. But sit there (directing me to a sofa in the next room) and I will speak to my manger in half an hour.

This 'half an hour' camp turned out to be an hour and half wait and in that time I witnessed a domestic between the reception guy who I had been talking to and one of the cleaners (someone hadn't filled in some order form and was being made to work over time and the other person hadn't done their job properly, and someone hadn't collected enough linen (no doubt the reason why my room was left unfinished?), and the other person needed to do their job properly, rah rah rah). Very unprofessional!

After my wait I was told I still couldn't have a refund but by this point, I really didn't care for the £70.

Room Tip: Save your money - this place isn't what it promises.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Albion House Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Guest

We appreciate all the feedback we get; wherever we able to make improvements and changes we certainly do them . We are always on hand to put things right immediately and try to make you as comfortable as possible.

It certainly was a mistake for font desk to check you in before the 2 pm check in time. On that day we had a late delivery of clean linen from our supplier . I think our receptionist was trying to be helpful to you as possible by giving you the room early- the room was ready and cleaned; all we were waiting for was for some pillow cases .Perhaps he should have asked you what you wanted to do . Either wait for your room ( after 2 pm ) or enter it immediately but inform you about a late pillow case delivery.

All rooms sizes are clearly shown on our website under each room category - Please read this information. Any cancellations and refunds all depends on the terms and conditions of the booking ; which you can choose how much flexibility you need - depending on the rate category you have booked. You make this very clear before booking. We want you to be as well informed as possible .

Thanks again for your review

Nantes, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Room 42 in Melville hotel (we booked Albion). Excellent bedroom with 2 double beds (one 160x200). Decoration like the photo. The reception is not in Albion hotel but shared with 3 hotels around the same quiet square in Melville hotel (24/24). Albion decoration seems to be the same as Melville hotel (see from the corridor).
Just a remark, the room 43 seems to be very small. During our stay, I can hear complaints (twice) from people asking for another room due to the size of room.

Room Tip: Not 43 in Melville hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Mr Patrick P, General Manager at Albion House Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and positive comments for our hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again.

willand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Dreadful experience which will not be repeated. You book in at The Melville Hotel (This looks nicer) then lug your cases up the road to the Albion. Early, prior booked and agreed breakfasts did not happen - nobody turned up as promised. Poorly prepared room up at the very top of the "Hotel" - up 6 or it could have been 8 flights of steep, narrow stairs. Hauled cases up - no lift - both wife and I in our late 60s. Toilet seat only fixed on one side and and the sink press in/out spring plug jammed in. Sink had to be emptied with a plastic bottle. Dreadful start to our holiday. No response from the hotel.

Room Tip: Dont stay at the Albion House particularly if you are elderly. Front rooms are noisy. Check that roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Albion House Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Sir

We have contacted you personally about your stay already and once again would like to apologise for any problems you had.

I would like to add though : We clearly describe the services and facilities of our hotel i.e. : That we don't have a lift in the building . The hotel is housed in a Grade 2 listed building and it would contravene conservation laws to install an elevator in the building. I would love to be able to install one . We don't know that you are 60 yrs old if you don't inform us before you arrive. We only found this out once you had arrived. You arrived quite late and all the ground floor and first floor rooms had already been allocated to guests . We did take one of your bags up to your room for you. Please don't be shy to ask for any assistance - we can always help as we have staff that are very willing to do this.

Any issues with the room had happened whilst you were with us i.e. the sink . If this was a persistent problem then other guests in that room would gave informed us . Once we are informed of a problem we can fix them straight away. Buildings always have problems - we can deal with the maintenance immediately and put things right immediately .

Breakfast is strictly from 730 am onwards and not before. We can not get staff in to do breakfast earlier as they also have to travel in from far away and this would not be fair. Breakfast is optional extra so if it does not fit with your times then please don't book it -there are many other options available for breakfast in Central London.

we thank you for your time to write this review
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Great place to stop for one night. Ok rooms are small but very clean. More than adequate for a business trip stop over. Close to Kings Cross Underground.
Good value for money for the night.
Didn't try the breakfast as was heading into Central London for an early meeting.
I'd use this hotel again as it was perfect more my needs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mr Patrick P, Owner at Albion House Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Sir

thanks for your review for our little hotel.

We really focus on the cleanliness of our rooms and are happy you believe this to be true .

We look forward to seeing you again

Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Hi,

If you book your stay even for few hours then I can bet that it will be the most terrible mistake of your life, you would be so much tortured by own own decision that you would want to wake up (if in case you were able to sleep) and check out at 5 in the morning as thats what I did. The room was the most smallest room I had ever seen, there was something in the bed which caused itching in my whole body that night and there was continuous noice of some knock the entire night.
It was the most hellish night.

Room Tip: Choose any hotel but this!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Albion House Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review; we read all our reviews and are always looking to improve in any way we can .

We like to have an open line of communication between all our existing guests and future guests.

Any special requests or requirements can be e mailed to us before your arrival or simply added to your booking form.

On our website and travel agent websites all information on room sizes and bed sizes can be easily found next to the room types. Please be sure to read this so you are well informed in what you have booked .

Any issues you may have ; please let us know immediately so we can help resolve any problems .

We really want to give you as much information as possible about your room and the hotel services and facilities .

Thanks for your e mail ; please note we are listening to our guests and always on hand to help .

Been to Albion House Hotel? Share your experiences!