“Nice- if they don't outbook you!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Guest House

and 1 more site!
You added Royal Guest House to your Saves list
Royal Guest House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   105 Shepherds Bush Road, London W6 7LP, England   |
Ranked #276 of 535 London B&B and Inns
hullian
“Nice- if they don't outbook you!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

I had a 3 week trip to London planned and so was booked in the Royal Guest House with colleagues Monday-Friday. I was told in the middle of a tube strike that unfortunately they had double booked my room and i would have to find somewhere else to stay. needless to say not impressed. However when my next trip came around i was booked in again as my colleagues had no problmes whilst staying there. 5 times over the course of a week and a half was the room confirmed for another 3 weeks stay however a couple of days before my stay i received a phone call to say that unfortunately they didnt have a room for me again! This was right in the middle of the wimbledon tournament so hotel rooms are hard to find at this time with no help from the hotel whatsoever as to any suggestions of other hotels. All in all if you want a room guaranteed, dont book in here!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
East Cowes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2007

Do not stay in this hotel, even if you are desperate. My husband and I have just returned from this hotel and to our horror have been bitten by fleas severely (a doctor has confirmed this, we have over 150 bites between us). This hotel has an infestation problem, while we were there the council was inspecting another room and advising that the mattress should be disposed of.
Apart from the flea problem there were other issues, we stayed in December and despite the room being cold I was told that the heating would be turned on at 4pm (it later went off at 8pm). One room I was given just had an oil filled temporary radiator as the heating had broken down. Both the rooms I stayed in had sticky bathroom carpet mats and the rooms generally were very tatty and old. One room had the bathroom window patched up with a piece of cardboard (no wonder I was cold!).
I advise you not to stay here there are other hotels in London in this price range that are a lot better.

• Liked — Free WIFI
  • Disliked — Tatty, dirty rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portsmouth, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

First thing to mention is that if you book this hotel you can end up in another "hotel" along the road - namely Balkan, Bex and another. It doesn't really matter because they all complete and utter rubbish.

Myself and friends booked two rooms at this hotel. A double room costs £65. For that, I got a cheap mattress, a window curtain hanging desperately to life and a tiny bathroom that was separated by a plastic door curtain that not even Ikea would sell in its shops. This door curtain separating the toilet/shower and the bedroom was itself torn and couldn't be shut - i guess that's one way to get know your partner! At least it was better than my friends room - where she was playing a game of "spot the pubic hair" on her pillows and unfortunately spotting a few!

There is a iron and ironing board that you can have, but first you have to track down a person to get the stupid thing. Then, you have to find room in your chosen hovel to put the thing up. My double room was barely big enough to swing a cat! Lucky i packed a jumper!

The worse came after I returned late at night. First, the radiator was on full blast and the room was pretty hot. You couldn't really open the window because quite frankly anyone could just climb in! The fridge had iced over my water and less said about the sorry excuse for a shower the better. Well, I'm still waiting for hot water anyway.

The best bit (well it amuses my friends) was that at 7.00am I was woken up and realised that my room was basically tagged onto a kitchen. So I got to hear them serving breakfast for two hours, then washing the dishes (or at least sounding like that!) and then just to make sure I was completely bonkers with anger they started vaccuming outside of my door. I wouldn't mind so much if a) the food was nice (I wasn't so foolish to try), b) you could notice that an attempt had been made to keep the place clean!

Still, at least they decided to turn off the heating from wherever the switch was. Thanks for that. Funny thing was that my friend and her partner in the "hotel" next door were living in baltic (ie freezing) conditions.

I got dressed, gave up any attempt to have a shower or wash and went to Wetherspoons for a breakfast. This experience (and the one at Paddington earlier this year) leads me to conclude that you cannot spend less than £100 a night on a hotel in central london and expect to be treated as a human being. It's an absolute dive and i'm really embarassed that anyone from outside this country should visit the UK and experience this rubbish. I will never, ever slag off travelodge or other budget hotel chains again. At least they can usually get a shower to work and the bed isn't that uncomfortable!

It's not really in a decent location either. There are a few night buses about but that's about. Remind me why we visit London again please! Because I'm running out of reasons! Pay more elsewhere and enjoy yourself. You'll spend more on therapy otherwise!

• Liked — Honestly, tv in my room had teletext. That's all I can think of!
  • Disliked — Decrepid furniture (no wardrobes!), dirty and totally unhygenic.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

I would never wish this hotel upon anyone. It was awful. It was dirty, mold in the shower, smelled really bad, no TV remote, they didn't change our towels and breakfast was really bad...unless of course you like instant coffee and some really bad scrambled eggs. They charge way too much, I feel ashamed that I spent as much as I did. And, this hotel owns several others on the same "hotel strip". I would forget Royal Guest House/Euro Hotel/Hotel Balkan etc. and just walk the strip until you find something suitable.

Stayed November 2007
essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

We arrived at the guest house at 6pm to find there was no one there the door was locked and had to wait outside until 6.30pm for someone to arrive to let us in!
The room was of okay size but the bathroom was as big as a cupboard that you could just about stand in and had a weird smell !!
Breakfast was served between 7.30 and 9.00 but the state of the so called 'restaurant' said it all. So we had breakfast some where else. There was also alot of noise and doors slamming!

I would not reccomend staying here!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

We stayed here for one night because we were going to see Foreigner at th Sheppards Bush Empire. We looked high & low for a good budget hotel close to the venue.
Found this place and was delighted as it was clean, two minutes walk to the venue and als o a great price (£27.00 each B&B)
The breakfast was basic egg beans, cereals & toast & tea. Friendly owners and a free upgrade to a family room en suite. A bit noisy with the windo open but hey you are in London. I would definatey use again

• Liked — Facinity to Venue & Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Breakfast could be better
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

Gary Numan at the Sheperds Bush Empire - well it had to be done! After many visits to London gigs and stopping at Travelodges, I decided to find something same price range and within walking distance. Found this hotel through booking.com and booked it. Arrived on the Saturday afternoon and taken to our room in the other building - no problem. Staff very courteous and pleasant. Room ideal for two hardned gig goers, clean with en suite toilet and shower. Dropped off our stuff and went out to the Goldhawk for the afternoon followed by the Empire and a kebab and beer round our friends flat and then back to the hotel for a well deserved rest (and another beer). Didn't have the breakfast just tea and OJ (bit delicate!) and left. All in all a great place if you are going to gigs nearby or going round London. If I was coming for a long stay probably not, but my needs are simple on my flying visits so will use this again.

• Liked — Price and accessabilty to the Empire
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Royal Guest House? Share your experiences!