“Could Try better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Buckingham Hotel

You added Buckingham Hotel to your Saves list
Buckingham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39-40 Bedford Place, London WC1B 5JT, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #473 of 1,066 Hotels in London
gloucester
“Could Try better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our wedding anniversary and his birthday at the beginning of March. The staff were friendly and helpful on arrival and throughout our stay. We were upgraded a room as I had asked for a large room. The room was very spacious with a queen sized bed, two seater sofa etc. The ensuite was on the small size compared to the room and needed a good vaccum in the corners to remove talcum powder and dust - my husband being just 6ft couldn't comfortably sit in the bath. The wardrobe space was extremely small because the cupboard next door housed a sink, draining board, microwave etc. (they call it a mini kitchenette). The fridge was not working as it should because it was in need of a serious de-frost. The cold water tap constantly gave hot water, so it was not possible to get a cold drink of water without putting water into the fridge for a few hours. The carpet was very "black" around the whole edge of the room and needed cleaning. In fact the room decor when you looked at it closely was a bit tired. The furniture was fine, this looked fairly new. You couldn't open either window in the main bedroom part, only the window in the kitchenette area and the hotel did have its heating up far too much as the weather outside was extremely warm for the time of year. The breakfast area was minute. The hotel has 17 rooms,but only four tables! The continental breakfast was OK but it did concern me that the ham (which resembled a piece of cardboard) was plated up without being on any form of cold surface (the breakfast area is in a glass conservatory, which was very warm as the weather was mild and they had two electric radiators switched on). The same with the juices and milk. It would have been nice to see these items being kept cool.

Room Tip: If you want a room on the front that is generous in size ask for a large room - we were upgraded whe...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in February, we stayed as we went to the theatre and wanted to stay in London.

Actually booked into the hotel next door (Clarendon hotel), they phoned whilst on route to London to say there was a maintenance problem and that they needed to move us into the hotel next door, The Buckingham hotel. They said they would upgrade us to a luxury room at no extra cost, we did not have much choice so accepted it.

Found the hotelm it was in a nice area with a number of hotels along the road. There is no parking for this hotel, we knew this and decided to worry about it when we arrived, there is a big underground car park a few minutes walk away, 24hour £35+, we drove around the corner and found an underground car park for £18, problem was it was closed on Saturdays!!! but the car park attendant pointed us towards the Imperial Hotel (less than 5 minutes walk from the Buckingham). Great value carpark at £18 for 24 hours.

Back to the hotel, We had room 1, very very big room with big big bed, lovely room, nice en-suite bathroom with bath and shower etc.

Breakfast was continental style, plenty of it can not complain, Breakfast was in the conservatory which only had a few tables, could imagine it gets very hectic at ''rush hour'', if you get in there early you will not have a problem.

My only complaint was that room 1 issituated near to the front door and there is noise when people come and go, especially in the early hours. I did have to complain about noise and was told somebody from the hotel management would be in touch with me, I am still waiting (4 weeks now).

I would return to this hotel or the Clarendon but would insist on a quiet room away from the front door/reception.

Hotel is in a great location, 10 minutes brisk walk to the theatres (Lyceum), we also walked to Covent garden, Soho, Leicester square, Piccadilly Circus, Regent Street, Tottenham Court Road.

Room Tip: Definitely not room 1
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012 via mobile

I was staying in this grange hotel for 3 nights. My room was very big with a nice bathroom with lots of day light. The room was quiet as it was last floor and windows did not go to the side of the street, so I slept really well.
The very good impression of the hotel was spoiled by the fact that they were insisting for paying upfront.
Localisation is excellent, Russel Square is really close.

• Stayed March 2012
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

This is a lovely hotel. I was upgraded to a large room with a massive very comfy bed. I loved having a kitchen area with a microwave and fridge. The staff were all really nice and it's a great location for eating out - especially Italian! The only disappointment was the breakfast. It's served in a very nice but small conservatory. For continental breakfast it was okay if a bit limited and the cheese, ham and eggs looked as if they had been sitting out for a while.

Room Tip: basement room was a bit noisy but that's to be expected in London. I never travel without earpl...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I booked this hotel as a birthday weekend treat for my husband. The hotel was situated one street away from the London museum but the street its self was very quiet and tucked away. The room was much bigger than expected and was very clean (apart from the curtains which could have done with a good wash!) We were able to walk to many of the main attractions from here and alwasy felt safe. I would definitely stay at this hotel again though they do pre authorisation from your card and then full payment at the end which was slightly annoying. One the whole, a great choice!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed at the Buckingham for 8 nights on our last visit to London during Christmas week 2011. We were really happy with the location of the hotel- one to two blocks each way from Tube stop - Russell Square and Holborn. It was one block over from a main street, one block from British Museum and on a side street between two park squares. The staff were excellent in being courteous, attentive and friendly. They always offered assistance in any mention of what we were doing or where we were going. Our room (202)was a fair size with a kitchenette. This was great for our "snacks" and wine/beer we'd purchase at the nearby Sainsbury, just across from Holborn tube stop. The bed was really comfortable and I wanted to find out what type so I could have one at home. We did not have breakfast there as the price was too costly for us. But we had the Sainsbury for pastries and a Pret Manger within short walk. There was a tube strike on Boxing Day but we found we could walk to Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square almost quicker than a tube ride. Buses run constantly on the main street, Southampton Row. Our son stayed at the Chancery Hotel and our daughter at Club Quarters, both paying twice what we paid and were not with any better location or comfort. We have holidayed in London seven times and this is our preferred location and hotel. Thanks to all at the Buckingham.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

2 blocks from the British Museum. Close to Holborn or Russell Sq tube station (Piccadilly line) so you can get to the other attractions quickly even by walking. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. Bed is comfy and the room is clean and spacious compared to a more expansive hotel which I also stayed during this trip. If I MUST say 1 negative thing about the Buckingham Hotel, then I guess the constant pumping in the background might bother some. It's not that loud but at night you hear it. I am not a light sleeper so it did not bother me. I will MOST CERTAINLY stay at this hotel again and I recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Buckingham Hotel? Share your experiences!