“Had to do... but won't stay again unless drastic updates are made!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea House Hotel

Save Saved
You added Chelsea House Hotel to your Saves list
Chelsea House Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   96 Redcliffe Gardens | Earls Court, London SW10 9HH , England   |
Ranked #331 of 522 London B&B and Inns
Tiverton, United Kingdom
“Had to do... but won't stay again unless drastic updates are made!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

On our first night of arrival we were put into a room downstairs which quite frankly felt like the old London Dungeons! There was a mildew smell and no air ventilation. The shower was full of mould in the grouting and wouldn't dare shower without shoes on! Woke up the next morning with water dripping from a crack in the ceiling onto the bed!! Went to complain and was given an "upgrade". There were 4 beds in our room (originally asked for a twin room) and the shower and toilet room was son tiny that you just about managed to fit into it. The shower also had mould in the grouting and wouldn't dare shower without my shoes on. The walls in the rooms have damp in them and it just needs a serious update. Everything in the hotel does. I can say that the staff were friendly enough and it was very easy access to the tube station but unfortunately I wouldn't ever stay there again and recommend it to anyone as it was way below any "budget hotel" standard. Sorry!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

If I could give a zero for service at this hotel, it would be deserved. I went to London with a family member to attend a funeral. I booked a twin room through Budgetplaces .com and verified the booking the day before our arrival. We arrived as planned, at approx 8.30 pm by taxi from the airport only to be told that the room wasn't available and that they had booked a room for us in the Aquarius Hotel on Hogarth Street. We had never been in that area before and indeed are not at all familiar with London. We are middle-aged but he refused to pay for a taxi and handed us a black and while map which was, as you can see, illegible.
We proceeded on foot to Hogarth Street with our bags and found the hotel, expecting it to be at least of equal standard to the Chelsea House Hotel. This, I believe is standard practice when a hotel cannot fulfil a booking. We were wrong, and had we had time to look at TripAdvisor, we wouldn't have gone near it. It was a disgrace. The man at reception was scruffy, the carpets were torn and filthy, the skirting boards hadn't been cleaned in years. Outside was noisy and dirty with a lot of people loitering about. It was quite frightening. The room was about 6 or 7 ft wide with two narrow beds, the washbasin was in the bedroom, there were no towels and the walls were written on and marked with something.. maybe dampness. It was dreadful. Do look at the photos of this hotel on this site.
So we called the receptionist Chelsea House Hotel at exactly 9.00pm and told him it was completely unacceptable and asked for alternative accommodation. We did not get a reply from him though he said he would call the manager.
So between 9pm and 11pm we rang various people and places and eventually we got a room in theanother nearby where some other funeral goers were staying. It cost £140.
Next morning, on the way to the funeral we called into the Chelsea House Hotel and spoke to the manager. He would not accept that he had any liability or that he had wronged us in any way. He had got the Aquarius at a £10 discount for us!! I made the point that he could have called or emailed at any time but he felt that he had got us alternative accommodation and would not listen to our story. I have, of course since emailed them but to no avail.
What I wanted was simply the difference between the price I had budgeted for and the £140 ie £51.
How can anyone rely on a hotel which can treat its customers like this? Caveat Emptor!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Eberswalde, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

room simply and with a certain charm.
breakfast was ok 2 toast, jam 1 species, grain flakes, mueslie, orange juice, coffee...
and tea on request.
one goes at least not hungry from the house.
otherwise: is really clean something else: stains on the bedspread and curtain,
plaster in the bathroom is falls down.
certainly not comparable to a German hotel in this price range!!!!!!
but bed itself was clean and very comfortable.
super centrally located.
very friendly staff.
we would go back again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at the hotel in early July. I am a female in my dearly 20 s and was traveling solo. Upon arriving at the hotel, after a strange and unfamiliar experience on the tube, I found the staff member at the desk very abrupt, and not at all welcoming or friendly. I felt very taken aback and after the slightly daunting experience of traveling to the hotel by myself, did not feel particularly at ease once I had arrived. The receptionist eye finitely lacked sufficient customer service skills and went the processes of checking me in as if they were an annoying interruption to his evening. My room was small and the carpet was not clean. The bed was comfortable enough and the sheets were clean and in good condition. The room had a new tv which worked well. I also had free wifi which worked well throughout my stay. The bathroom was a little dated and felt as if a part of the tiling or shower would fall off at any minute. There was no plug or bath mat. The towels were large and clean though. Breakfast in the morning was only served at a reasonable time for weekdays, but left no time for lazy mornings during the weekend. The food was basic and the 'toast' was merely warmed bread. The service at breakfast and the reception desk seamed to vary depending on the day and the mood of the staff, who sometimes were lovely and other times were dismissive and indifferent to their guests. The location of the hotel was fantastic and the price was responsible compared to many other places. I think if customer service were I provoked the hotel would develop a better reputation and rating.

Room Tip: From what I can gather the rooms vary considerably. Some are in better condition than others so it a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Good location for Earl's Court and the Kensington & Chelsea district, but right on a main road and incredibly noisy -there must be a hospital nearby as I got about 3 hours' sleep in between various sirens and noisy cars, even though I asked for a quiet room. The hotel decor is old and tired, but this is usually a cheaper form of non-hostel accommodation -unless the online booking sites are wildly inflating prices again. The en-suite is also old and has no curtain or blind in the window, even if it only looks at another wall. The staff were pleasant enough, but I didn't try the breakfast because it finished inconsiderately early (09:30!) for a weekend. Free parking can be had on Sundays on the road outside.

Room Tip: There are probably no quiet rooms in this hotel, but try to get one facing away from the main road o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dunedin, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The facilities are old, breakfast is basic and there is no lift but the staff will look after you and the price of accommodation is very cheap for the area.
The premises are close to the tube. There is a laundry, convenience store, several restaurants and a couple of bars within 100 metres. You can walk to several significant attractions within 20 minutes if you wish.
My wife and I spent 9 days over 6 weeks based here and were able to safely leave bags at the hotel while we were travelling elsewhere.
If we were to visit London again we would certainly book into the Chelsea House Hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here on the 28th June 2014 for one night. Booked to get in early12noon, only to be told people still in room so have to wait, came back at 2pm and still had to wait a further 15 minutes as cleaner in there!
The room no 21 was basic, Wardrobe needs to be thrown away, slanted and hard to open. The shower door was broken so had to hold door to open and then it didn't shut all the way, plus the shower attachment holder was broken so had to hold the shower, which was a little awkward! Only decent thing was the bed, which was comfortable.
Although breakfast Toast, 3 Cereals, Coffee or orange juice was okay, the breakfast area needs inproving. For the amount of people staying there, there just wasn't enough room and people were having to wait around for other guests to finish.
All in all if they spent some money on this B&B (hotel) and got some members of staff that actually understood English it could be a very nice B&B

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Chelsea House Hotel? Share your experiences!