“Don't stay here unless you want to catch something!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rama

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Rama
You added Hotel Rama to your Saves list
43 Belgrave Rd, London SW1V 2BB, England (Pimlico)   |
Ranked #945 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Andover, UK
“Don't stay here unless you want to catch something!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2006

All I can say is NEVER stay in this hotel! I have never been so disgusted in all my life.

We booked this hotel room through Venere.com and it cost us £43 for a double room for one night. On the website the room looked nice and clean and airy along with the breakfast room! But don’t believe what you see – the place is small, dingy and dirty!

When I checked in I was firstly annoyed that I had to pay for the room before I was allowed to have the key! And as I didn’t have any cash on me I had to pay by debit card but what they didn’t tell you on the hotel site was that there is a £3 charge when paying by card so really the room cost me £46 and I asked if I could pay in the morning when I checked out but I wasn’t allowed my key before I had paid! I don’t see how paying in the morning when you check out wasn’t ok – like every other hotel in the UK I have stayed in!

But then I realised why they probably do that, so you can’t walk out once you see the state of the rooms, as I would have done if I hadn’t already paid, but once you have paid they wont give you a refund as you need to give a 24 hour cancellation notice, otherwise you are charged for one nights stay!

Once I had my key I walked in my room and the stench which was in it was disgusting, all I could smell was sewage! There was no way that I could stay in there so went down to reception to ask for another room, which was sorted out without a problem but the new room was not much better but at least it smelt fresher.

The room itself was basic of basic! It was literally the size of 2 double beds put together with a small rail in the corner (there version of a wardrobe) to hang up clothes, but I couldn’t even hang them up properly without them getting creased again as it wasn’t long enough. There was a small desk with a TV on it (of which all the TV channels were tuned in wrong and no remote control) so there was nowhere to put any of my toiletries so I had to live out of my suitcase, which left no room what so ever with that on the floor as well.

Above the bed there were 3 spot lights – only 1 of which worked! There was a hole in the ceiling, cracks in the walls, black marks on the paint, the sheets smelt of cigarette smoke – it was just filthy!

And the bathroom wasn’t much better either. The hook to hang your towel on had broken so there was nowhere to hang it. The toilet paper holder had broken, and the shower door had fallen off so we had to wedge it in place to stop water leaking when taking a shower!

Then there was breakfast! – Of which I ate nothing as I was absolutely disgusted with it. It was in a small shabby looking room at the front of the hotel with had 3 small tables in it. We sat down and there was no menu or anything so we had no idea what breakfast consisted of! Firstly we received a bowl of corn flakes, and then after that was toast – which when you looked closely you could see tiny bits of mould growing on the crusts, I was in the middle of eating a slice when my boyfriend noticed the mould on his and spat my mouthful back out!

So I seriously advise NOBODY to stay in this dump and I will never stay in a budget hotel in London again! I really would rather pay an extra £20 for somewhere half decent, as even though it was only cheap you still expect it to be clean and not given mouldy food………..or maybe that’s just me being a little bit of a snob!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everthing
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont Stay Here!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Edmonton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

Oh my goodness, this hotel was utterly revolting. About 5 squares of waterlogged toilet paper are provided, a t.v. remote control caked in food and miscellaneous substances, an awful smell, rogue hairs in the beds, balls of hair melded into the carpets, a flimsy lock on the door, and pigeon poo all over the window. Oh and the "tea facilities"? A dirty old chipped mug with a hair in the bottom and some stale old teabags. I am a budget traveller and quite used to making do, but this was really the limit and for the price avoid at all costs. Awful. And did I mention weird hairs everywhere?

Stayed September 2006
Johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

This Hotel left me speachless! Was dumped there late at night by the Lidos Hotel, who had 'kindly' arranged alternative accomodation due to their over booking! The Hotel stank, and the room was minging and very tired. The dressing table only had three legs, and was a broken down scrap. The bathroom was the size of a broom closet, and like a bomb had hit it - a picture of Beirut! The shower was completely dismantled, the floor was collapsing, the basin was coming adrift and leaking, and everything was just filthy! We at first refused to stay there. It was late and we were worried that we wouldn't find alternative accomodation at that late hour. We stayed one night. It was like a scene from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". Also, there was no other alternative bathroom, so we had to go next door to the Lidos Hotel, and use their basement shower - what a joke!
NEVER put foot here - this is the absolute worst I have ever seen!!!

• Liked — Nothing!!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

Absolutely hideous, disgusting hotel. We were given a room int he basement with crap lying everywhere outside it. The room stank of damp, the bathroom leaked and smelled even worse, and there were fleas that bit us when we sat on the bed. I was in shock at how horrible it was, with seedy-looking, surly staff as well. We went back to reception but nobody was there, so left straight away. It is the most disgusting place I've ever seen, and I like hostels!

• Stayed March 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2006

I booked to stay at the Rama hotel,and I really wish I hadn't, the hotel bedrooms are nothing like the photo,I couldn't believe this hotel actually has a rating. It was a hostel not a hotel! we booked a twin room, when we opened the door we walked straight into a wardrobe which was directly behind the door - fire & safety hazard!!! me and my friend had to move it out they way ourselves.
the supposidly twin room was bunkbeds on one side - one broken!! and two single beds pushed together, the room was tiny, dark, there were random boards of wood crudly stuck on the wall to act as bed heads,no room to move in the room. it was badly decorated, the cups, tea and coffee were on the floor - very hygienic!!! ther were no drawes for storage,no basics such as shampoo, shower gel, hair dressers or irons available.
the bathroom was a cupboard,the shower was badly fitted,the water was cold,the floor had no non-slip matting, my friend nearly slipped twice when getting out of the shower - a law suit waiting to happen! the shower door was in front of sink so you couldn't open it very wide - not good it bigger than a size 12.
the window was filthy with pigeons purching on the ledge so you couldn't open the window very wide, the room was not cleaned daily, we had to use the same towels over again, the soap given looked like it had be taken from another hotel and used before - it was unwrapped and just left on the side of sink and was dirty. the breakfast area was a joke in itself - i did not want to eat in it.
How this hotel hasnt been done by the trades discription act is beyond me, it does not deserve its supposidly two diamond rating. It is not worthy of its £44 pernight they charged me, DONOT make the same mistake i did, pay the extra stay somewhere nice!!!

• Stayed June 2006
Bradford on Avon, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2006

I'd booked into a different hotel, the Carbigoe, with Lastminute but when I tried to check in they said they had decorating work being done and took me to this, their "sister" hotel . My room was in the basement. There was a shower but it didn't work. I was kept up half the night by someone's TV. Bits of plaster fell off the ceiling. The door wouldn't lock from the outside. There was no plug in the tiny sink. The decoration was half-finished. There was an old chip on the floor. At least the sheets were clean! The advertised price for a room here was £59. You would be mad to pay that. I'd paid only £27 but still, there is a standard below which a room should not fall and this one did.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2005

I've travelled to London several times and I have never had an experience as bad as the this hotel. The hotel hadn't reserved us the room that we had asked for. Instead they tried to squeeze 3 adults into a double room. There was no door on the bathroom. The window wouldn't close and the heat was turned up full blast in an attempt to compensate for this.

There was something rusty floating at the bottom of the toilet, not the cleanest place to be. In fact it was downright fowl.

I went back down to reception and demanded my money back. I refused to stay there. I'm still waiting to be compensated.

There are much better places to stay in London for far less money. It is an insult for a hotel to claim the rating that this one does. Stay away from it if you want to have an enjoyable trip.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Hotel Rama? Share your experiences!