“A great surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,364 of 17,039 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mexican, Healthy
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Street Food
Description: Wahaca Islington brings the best of Mexican Street food to this converted Upper Street townhouse opposite Islington Green Gardens, serving up our award winning menu to hungry locals for lunch and dinner.
“A great surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I went here recently after being outnumbered in the choice of destinations for our staff Christmas night out.
I wasn't expecting much and I wasn't really looking forward to it - but how wrong was I?
We had reserved the round table in the window and some of my colleagues had been before and therefore knew the routine which was just as well as the waitress didn't explain how the menu works.
Eventually we ordered quite a number of dishes and shared most - and the food was lovely. Freshly cooked and tasty and really well presented, and so I began to eat my hat!
By the end I'd been totally surprised at the high quality of food and the presentation.
Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited December 2013

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Great for quick eats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Always loved wahacas for quick bite to eat, first visit to the islington one. Great concepts on the street food, always comfortable, chilled and good food.
This occasion no different. However our waitress was pretty miserable, and I normally think they are quite good for chain restaurants.
Though the manageress (young, blonde hair) restored faith, was very friendly and polite and aware, so thank-you.

• Visited December 2013
London
“Faith restored”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We had an unhappy experience here which we mentioned on Tripadvisor. Management contacted us and the matter was resolved to our satisfaction. A few days ago we returned anonymously (though we were recognised at some stage) and had a good meal with excellent service so we are now firm fans of Wahaca again.

Visited December 2013
“Tasty food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Had dinner here with friends the other week and we waited on a Friday night for half hour for a table, which I did not think was too bad. The atmosphere was absolutely brilliant and the staff were very nice and friendly. The food was excellent. We ordered lots of different little bits to share and it was very tasty! I would highly recommend the hot chocolate, chilli and tequilli shot for pudding after! Delicious.

• Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“tasty, fun, vibrant and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I've been to Wahaca a few times and to this one twice - once with friends in a big group in the evening where we had margheritas and once with my small child for lunch. Both times I had a really fun pleasing experience and left feeling satisfied and like I wanted to come back.

For the evening meal we sat in the back area (which the review below says is horrible) actually I thought for a large group of somewhat tipsy women it was ideal as I didn't feel bad about intruding on other diners' experience. I also love the wall tiles in this area, reminded me of restaurants in Lisbon, dark and atmospheric. We let our waiter order for us from the street food menu and there was enough for us all to feel full without feeling bloated or like we'd left food (I hate leaving food and also hate leaving feeling sick!) Everybody said the food was fun fresh and tasty. And it came really quickly. The margheritas were zingy and hit the spot and we were the last people in the place.

The other time I came was for a Sunday brunch with my 2 yr old - always an event I approach with care. We were seated in the brighter front area at a small table and the waiter brought crayons and a high chair immediately. He also brought her food straight away when I ordered it first - like within a few minutes so it kept her quiet and busy. I had a torta - a big fat sloppy mexican sandwich which was delicious. It was really good value: for what you pay it's really a special experience in a beautiful environment. The waiter didn't mind when my kid made a huge mess and was friendly and attentive. My only downside was that the ceviche tostadas I had on the side were a little too full of lettuce and not enough fish. I love these and get them whenever I go to a Wahaca. Very good value and a fun fast dining experience.

• Visited July 2013