“Don't forget your ID!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Studios2Let Serviced Apartments - North Gower

You added Studios2Let Serviced Apartments - North Gower to your Saves list
Studios2Let Serviced Apartments - North Gower
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   192 North Gower Street, London NW1 2LY, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #65 of 662 Specialty Lodging in London
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“Don't forget your ID!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

As we were later than 8.00 pm arriving in London, we had to book in at their main office in Cartwright Gardens. After being asked to wait a while, we were ready to book in and had a credit card ready to make payment. However, before we were allowed to do either we were told we needed to show some photo ID. We had not brought any because this was not specified on the confirmation.
The gentleman dealing with us was very surprised and seemed suspicious that we did not have either our passports or ID cards with us. We patiently explained to him that as UK citizens staying in the UK we did not need our passports and that also the UK did not have an ID card system. It was only when we became frustrated and annoyed by his lack of belief that he relented and allowed us to book in and pay. We were made to feel like criminals and that we had been allowed to stay simply by his reluctant permission.
Considering the state of the room we had, if we had been criminals trying to obtain a room dishonestly, we certainly would have tried to con a better establishment.

Although generally clean, the room had a hole in the window that should (at least from a security point of view) have been repaired. The windows had no method of being locked and as this room was on the ground floor, this presented another security issue.

A floor light was plugged into an electrical socket that was broken, amateurishly repaired and possibly dangerous. In view of the poor security of the room we were encouraged when looking the next morning at the guest guidebook that stated that the room had a personalised and secure safe. After spending a considerable amount of time trying to find it, I gave up and asked at reception to be told that none of the apartments had safes. In fact the young lady on reception seemed surprised that the guide said there was one.

We were only booked in for three nights and were looking forward to our stay. The shortcomings of the room could be overlooked for a short period but the attitude of the person booking us in stayed with us much longer.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
Blue Mountains, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Studio2Let is located in a row of Georgain houses about three blocks from Euston Station, and a ten minute walk from the Warren Street tube station (there are underground connections at Euston as well). Like their sister location in Cartwright Gardens, just south of St. Pancras Station, and like many such hotels located in 18th and 19th century row housing, there are no elevators, the corridors are narrow, and the conveniences minimal. For instance, there was only one door-key and one entrance fob, and reception closed at 8 pm, which made it awkward when my wife and I had different things to do. Our rooms in both hotels were small, newly renovated in Ikea modern, and comfortable, but not designed for couples or for longer stays. There are cooking facilities, but all jammed into a tiny corner. The bathroom was so narrow we had to sit side-saddle on the toilet. With all that, the place was in a quiet neighbourhood with good Indian restaurants and a couple of good, lively pubs just around the corner, and we slept well. For anyone wanting a reasonable place for a short stay, with business to conduct in the area (University College London) or as a jumping off point for travel to the north, it's good value.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, and have heavy luggage, try to get a room on the ground floor. The back rooms...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Derby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We arrived at 8pm on Wednesday evening and were given our keys by a polite and pleasant receptionist. Our room was located on the ground floor and was classed as a budget economy. Whilst our room was small and the bathroom tiny the amenities such as tv, microwave etc could not be faulted but most importantly the studio was very clean. The only problem that we encountered was the banging of other studio doors when we were in bed so not great for a good nights sleep. On the whole we were only in the studio a total of 12 hours and if it is a stopping off point you are looking for then in terms of value for money this is the place. Location is great with access to the underground and Euston mainline a 5 minute walk away.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is a very good value place to stay. As a solo traveller, the room was more than adequate for me - I couldn't imagine two people in there. Although there is a hob/oven/micro in the room, there is also a smoke alarm - something to consider when cooking. The bed was comfortable and the room clean. The bathroom though small was functional and the shower surprisingly roomy. My main niggles was that the breakfast bar was tiny - only just enough space for one person to eat and the window. Firstly, the curtains are definitely thin. They veil rather than hide the outside. Meaning that it never gets dark. Not a problem for me, but if you need darkness to sleep, this will not be the place for you. The biggest nuisance for me however was the fact that the window was not double glazed. I was overlooking the street itself, and as well as the odd gust of cold air seeping in through the cracks (it was an old fashioned sash window), all the noise from the street did as well. The pub on the corner was busy until late with lots of people gathered outside to drink - and laugh. All in all, not conducive to a good night's sleep. The floors between the rooms are also very noisy. Everytime there was movement from the room above me it sounded like a herd of elephants. Shame, as otherwise locations, price and comfort was pretty ideal. Get these niggles sorted and it'll be hard to beat.

Room Tip: There is no elevator or disabled access. If you struggle with lugging cases or with steps then this...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Staffordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just spent 1 night here. Yes the room was small but as there was only me it was not a problem. There is a lot accommodated in the room in the way of facilities ie sink, microwave, utensils, kettle and toaster but not all easy to access. There was no work top area, the plates etc were in the top cupboard which I could not reach, beware if you use the chair provided to try and get in this cupboard as it is a fold up chair it is not stable, also the microwave was a bit lower but when taking hot food out you are still reaching up rather than being at eye level. I am averaged height for a female at 5ft 5inches. I agree that the noise from the floor above was quite disturbing and the only mirror was in the shower room which was a problem as it could not be used when drying your hair. I could also not see any information on nearest fire escape in the room. On the positive side the room was very clean, well equipped and nice touches with toiletries, reception staff were also very friendly. The studios are ideally located and I would use again due it's location and price was good value.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lakeville, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I just finished my stay and thought i would review while still fresh. As others have written, the location is great and the rooms are clean and well appointed. I stayed by myself and it would have been difficult to share. There isn't much room for anything besides the bed. The shower would probably fit inside a London phone booth. The two sinks have shelving or cupbourds just above them so they are difficult to use without splashing water all over the floor. I had a room facing the main street and it was very loud due to a corner bar nearby. Earplugs are required. A nearby room had a telephone ringing constantly throughout the day. A baby was crying across the hall. I could hear the entry door opening and closing throughout the day as well. They have a courtyard with picnic tables if you need to get out of your room as well as a lounge that i didn't see.

The woman at the front desk, I believe her name was Julia was very nice and helpful with all my questions. My biggest complaint of the place was what I would call a dumb tourist tax. I charged my room and signed the slip. I didn't read it until the next day where i found that they had converted the charge to dollars at a very unfavorable rate before charging me. It is explicitly written on the slip that I was given a choice of which currency I wanted it charged in. I was not given this choice and when I complained the next day they said there was nothing that could be done. I can't think of a legitamate reason why an establishment would do this other than to take a few extra bucks from unsuspecting tourists. I would insist that you have them charge you in the local currency. I did hear someone say they were paying cash and were told the hotel does not carry change.

I would probably go back due to price and location, but would be aware of the credit card issue.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night and were pleasantly surprised at what this place had to offer.
The rooms were very clean and kitchen well appointed.
The bathroom had nice touches such as toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable razor and shaving cream as well as other complimentary toiletries.
Yes the rooms are small so would not want to stay here for a long period of time, but for a few nights this is fine.
Staff on reception were friendly and helpful plus you can leave luggage there after checking out to save carrying it around.
Good location although traffic is noisy in the morning.

Room Tip: It can be noisy outside so do ask for a room at the back on the top floor if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Studios2Let Serviced Apartments - North Gower? Share your experiences!