“Superb Old-School Modern Chippy!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #512 of 18,003 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: English, British, Fish & Chips
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Due to overwhelming success, Poppies has expanded into a Camden branch. Customers can find the same great quality food and service here, and the venue has live bands playing every Friday and Saturday.
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Superb Old-School Modern Chippy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I visited Poppies last night impromptu with my girlfriend for dinner before a gig. The atmosphere was lovely and we were quickly shown to a table. We were downstairs and it is a bit small but I felt it worked perfectly. The restaurant is a normal chippy, so you can see the fish in the hot counter, as people also come in for normal take away. Between us we had Scampi and Cod and both were excellent. The waiting staff are all dressed up quite fancy which adds to the experience. We did order rolls and got bread but, who cares because it was fantastic. A bit pricey but that's to be expected from the area. Would definitely go back. We noticed it as it was on a corner, but definitely worth going to find!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Crispy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Crispy fish! Its a little bit expensive than the fish and chip on the street. Service was very fast and friendly.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The Cod was amazing, I love the little box you get your fish and chips in. A huge piece of fresh white cod, lovely light tasty batter and awesome chips. Will certainly be returning.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Camden brand - not good value for money at all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Three of us visited the Camden branch and were deeply disappointed. The restaurant was practically empty but they huffed when we said that we had not booked and then insisted on sitting us right next to the stage where a noisy band were setting up and yelling at each other. We asked to move and this seemed like too much to ask.

The food itself is only OK. But for the price, it's not good at all. Three cod and chips with one side and three drinks came to over £60! The fish was not big and the chips were really nothing special at all. The atmosphere was unwelcoming and inauthentic. The decor and music have tagged onto the ubiquitous "vintage" theme that everyone is doing to death. Nothing original. And there certainly were no chip shops like this in the '50s! This is nothing more than a theme restaurant with only OK food and strange service. We would never go back. Plus they do the ever-annoying "optional" service charge.

VISITORS TO LONDON: Your best bet for proper fish and chips is basically anywhere run by people who know what they are doing and somewhere that has been open for ages. Good chip shops stay open for years for a reason. I recommend Toff's in Muswell Hill instead.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cork, Ireland
“Not very impressed, though it has potential”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I went at the end of March 2013 with my boyfriend and two friends. We decided to eat here because it was Good Friday and my boyfriend insisted on having fish. My friend suggested this place as he had eaten in the other location. There was a queue and a bit of a wait, about 20-30 minutes, which was fine as we knew it was busy. Though while the person at the door was keeping tally at who was waiting and next in line, he often got confused or forgot the order, I'm not sure why he didn't just write it down as it would have been much easier.

We were finally seated and looking forward to eating. The decor was great, the waitresses' uniforms were fun and there was a crooner on the stage singing Rat Pack stuff. However this is when it started to go down hill. We ordered drinks and when they returned with them, they said one particular drink was out of stock and had brought something else to replace. My friend was not impressed that they just assumed to bring something else instead of offering her the menu again. Then we ordered only to be told nearly everything we asked for were out of stock. They only had one type of fish left, so the boys took that. My friend and I were asked to order something else. So we did. Only for them to come back and say that those were out of stock too. I ended up eating just beans and chips as nothing else non-fish was left. We were told that because everything is made fresh every day things can run out. Which is fair enough, but all this back and forth of ordering only to then find out it's not in stock was quite frustrating.

Our food took so long to get to us that by the time it got to us, others around us who were seated after us had had their food and left. We were pretty annoyed at this stage, so when the bill came our friend said he's sort it so the rest of us could go outside and wait. When he joined us after paying, he told us when he got the bill a service charge was put on the total. He pointed this out to the waitress, saying that he shouldn't have to pay this as we were not happy with our experience and it is not mandatory to pay a service charge. The waitress just shrugged her shoulders and said she couldn't change it. He eventually just paid and left as he was so fed up.

I'm giving this a 2 star rating and not a 1 because I did like certain elements (the decor, retro uniforms, the crooner was excellent and fun) and because after we left we found out it was actually opening day, if we had known that we probably wouldn't have gone there in the first place. I do think it was a bit ridicious for the place not to be properly stocked on an opening day. On Good Friday, when it's important to some people to eat fish. And in a really popular tourist area that would have been even busier during Easter Holidays. Surely they must have known how popular and busy the place would have been, especially considering how the other location is very popular too?! I would possibly go back, as I'm the running of the place has been smoothed out and I would like to actually try stuff on the menu besides an expensive beans and chips. However I do think that service charge should be taken off, unless catering to larger groups.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pops N, Manager at Poppies Fish and Chips Camden, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear bmflynn

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to Poppies Fish and Chips in Camden on Good Friday (March 23) last year.

I am very sorry to hear that your visit was not a satisfactory one. This is not the type of feedback we usually receive from customers, however, I appreciate your bringing this to my attention.

Regarding the following issues:
- confusion while you were queueing,
- items on the menu running out
- long wait for your food
I can only apologise. As you know (and as you have mentioned in your review) this was the launch day of the restaurant, and as is typical with any new establishment, there are bound to be teething problems. We are pleased to say that over the year we have ironed out these issues and improved our various operational systems to ensure that these situations are avoided.

Regarding the waiting staff bringing you a drink you had not asked for, this is totally unacceptable. I am rather surprised by this as staff are trained to consult the customer before bringing an alternative. I will certainly ensure that each staff member fully understands the proper course of action to take in such situations.

The service charge is certainly optional and should not have been added onto the total amount. I can assure you that we have reviewed and improved our training to ensure all our staff are fully aware of and fully understand this. Once again, I apologise for this misunderstanding.

I would like to assure you that we take feedback from our customers very seriously and work hard to ensure that we are continuously improving. We do respect and value our customers, and want them to have an enjoyable experience anytime they visit us. I hope you will accept my apologies and will give us a chance to make your return visit to Poppies a much more enjoyable experience.

Best wishes,