“A great find!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
“A great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Zaibatsu deserves all the positive reviews it has received. The restaurant is very basic but the food more than makes up for it. The waiter was very helpful and the chef made regulars trip out of the kitchen to talk to customers.

The volcano rolls and tempura black cod were highlights and the prices are very good.

If your more interested in the location than the food then this place might not be for you - we will definitely be going back!

Reading, United Kingdom
“Fantastic value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We booked this place for a birthday for the 10 of us and although we took up the whole restaurant we had a fantastic time. The food was well presented and tasted nice especially for the price.
I do have to stress I think this place was great for the prices and I don't think you can get anything better in value without paying a premium.

Tips:
Do book in advance as they fill quickly as it is small
It is a 10-15min walk from the nearest tube station so plan your travel.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Sushi Surprise!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

After reading reviews I thought I would take a chance & book this for a surprise for my boyfriends birthday last night...I'm soooo glad I did. It's not fancy inside or out, but the food is just beautiful.
I am new to the sushi experience so helpful advice and recommendations from the friendly staff was much appreciated. The chef also came out to meet us, which was a lovely touch.
The only thing that I would change would be the music... English & American pop songs seemed out of place here. Perhaps some Japenese pop music would be a good alternative.
Make sure you bring some booze along with you, try the dragon rolls & leave room for the chocolate fondant!!

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A birthday dinner made more special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I came here with my family for my sister's birthday - we enjoyed some mains and a shared plate of sushi. The sushi was fantastic, and learned from our neighbouring diners that the sushi creations available were well worth getting.
A mention of my sister's birthday to the waitress at the start of dinner resulted in a surprising birthday ceremony, with music, dimmed lights and a birthday candle and personally signed card from head chef Dickson - it really made the experience a special and memorable one for us all. I will definitely be going back to try more sushi!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“style over substance?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Not sure why all the rave reviews to be honest this place is OK but not really much better than that, maybe everyone is blinded by the bring your own booze element to the place!

It is a tiny place and not a great atmosphere but there is nothing you can really do about that. The food however is presentation over substance, everything comes out looking absolutely amazing, of that there can be no doubt, wooden boards, banana leaves, flowers etc. but warm rice for sushi? the maki rolls were falling apart and the prices are not exactly exceptionally cheap.

We also had the yaki udon which was very disappointing with lots of shredded carrot ?! and not much in the way of seafood. We sampled the deep fried squid (chilli squid I think) and the batter was really flabby. I had the curry katsu and that was nice but beware if you do not like carbs cause this comes with carrot and potato as the curry sauce veg with a massive portion of rice on the side! I felt like Dolph Lundgren after that!!

All in all, the mains can be cheap and OK if you look in the right place on the menu, the sushi is over- priced for the standard. I dare say I would give it another go, maybe you just need to find the right dishes but at the moment I don't rate this as highly as everyone else.................may be I should take a couple of bottles of wine with me next time and I may feel differently!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere