“Wonderful dining experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Five Fields

The Five Fields
8-9 Blacklands Terrace, London SW3 2SP, England (Chelsea)
+44 20 7838 1082
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Five Fields is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 17,039 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Description: Chef Patron Taylor Bonnyman, working in collaboration with Head Chef Marguerite Keogh, offer elegant and playful modern British cooking with an emphasis on native British artisanal produce. Having worked in some of the finest kitchens in London, New York, and Paris the kitchen brings together its influences to create contemporary, seasonally focused, and ingredient led dishes. The food balances luxurious indulgence with delightfully fresh simplicity.
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

This meal was sensational. We booked from Australia 6 weeks prior, and were eagerly awaiting our night out with 2 of our adult children. Everything was perfect, from the attentive waiters, to the food. We ordered the 3 course menu, and all had different meals. The food was amazing and we were all extremely happy with our choices, with no menu envy in sight. We were served little extras before during and after the meal, and all were so tasty, even the bread rolls were delicious. This really was a ' Fine Dining Experience', and I would happily recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a memorable place to enjoy some really imaginative and very delicious food.

Visited April 2014
TheFiveFields, General Manager at The Five Fields, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for leaving your review, and I'm really pleased you and your family enjoyed your evening with us.

Having all had different dishes, it's wonderful that you all equally enjoyed your choices as well as all the extras.

If I remember correctly your Daughter is currently living in London, so I hope that we're able to welcome you all back when you next visit, and I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the entire team.

• Korean first
“Great food, outstanding service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I noticed that whenever I go somewhere with high expectations, I end up being disappointed. This was an exception!

The restaurant is located on a quiet side street near Sloane Square. I was expecting to see some grand facade; instead, it was only a small window with an understated sign – I liked that.
Entering left a very positive impression – everyone was nice and smiling, kept saying hello and asking how we were this evening.

We were a bit early but didn’t have to wait – there was a table available. We were served some amuse bouche; everything was delicious but mushroom soup with onion foam was particularly tasty. The bread roll I had was also amazing, in fact I could have happily had only the mushroom soup with a few rolls of bread and gone home – it was that good!

We decided to go for the tasting menu. The meal started with salmon mousse and yuzu meringue, and that was my least favourite dish on the menu. On their own they were delicious and had a nice texture, but together they simply didn't work – I did not like the sweetness coming through at the end. To be fair, my guest loved it, so it is all subjective.

This was followed by the “dead garden”: a collection of a few different root vegetables and was one of the favourite dishes on the menu. The tiny sautéed carrot was a flavour explosion. This is how the carrot should taste like and if I was to eat nothing but carrots for the rest of my life, this would be the one!

This was followed by foie gras pate, shaped in a ball and dipped in jelly. It looked very pretty and was delicious.

Scallop dish was fantastic. It had very pleasant and familiar scent, but we couldn’t figure out what it was that gave that scent – was it Kaffir lime?

Langoustine dish was very tasty as well, though I felt chorizo overpowered the subtle taste of the langoustine a little.

Pulled pork was nice, but it lacked the wow factor of other dishes, perhaps a bit too simplistic.
I liked the pina collada course, but my guest was not impressed. She felt that overall it lacked flavour a little and I ended up finishing the desert for her. The garden pea and coconut was a lot better and we both enjoyed it. Interestingly (and I don’t mean it in a negative way), it tasted like mint toothpaste – go ahead, try it and see what you think!

The meal ended with a bowl of sweets, which were fantastic and skilfully executed.

Was I satisfied? Yes, this was one of the nicest dinners I've ever had. Would I recommend it? Oh yes, in fact I’m doing this right now – you have to go there! At £75 for the tasting menu it is an absolute steal. I’d rate the food on a similar level with Blumenthal’s Dinner (which has two Michelin stars, mind you) and the service was better.

Speaking of the service, it was outstanding: welcoming, warm, friendly and attentive. They managed to keep the formality expected in this kind of restaurant, yet there were not stuffy or snobby. Well done and thank you for the great evening.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
TheFiveFields, General Manager at The Five Fields, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Oaty_B,

What a delightful and thorough review to read, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.

I'm so pleased you and your guest enjoyed your evening with us. The tasting menu is filled some fantastic, delicious and surprising dishes, so I'm glad you found it so.

It is indeed a great illustration of the subjective nature of food when guests have differing opinions on the same dish, and it seems the Salmon Mousse with Yuzu Meringue is a perfect example.

We are fortunate enough our own garden down in Sussex from which we get an amazing bounty of produce- herbs, vegetables, fruits and flowers. Throughout the year we have a featured dish which shows off this bounty. Winter poses obvious challenges. So we, in turn, put the dish on which you enjoyed- "Dead Garden," which is really a nod to the wonderful things that can be found underneath the soil, below what may look like a slumbering garden, but is in reality deceptively fecund. In addition to the wonderful carrots, there are morels, artichokes, crones and onions in various guises.

The wonderful underlying aroma on the Scallop dish is indeed Kaffir Lime. It is infused into the shellfish sauce and served with the braised Puy lentils.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the service too, as we feel it is integral in making a 'nice meal' into a special and memorable evening.

I will certainly share your thorough and thoughtful review with the entire team and pass on your wonderful compliments and I hope that we are able to welcome you back again soon.

London, UK
“Excellent meal with very attentive service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Both my wife and I had the taster menu which was wonderful. As always, a great way to try food that you wouldn't normally order. My favourite was the rabbit and my wife's was the beef tartar. The dessert was an odd combination of peas and coconut but was lovely. Don't expect a quiet meal as the dining room acoustics make it quite lively.

Dear Micah,

I'm so pleased you and your wife were able to join us, and that you enjoyed the tasting menu so much.

It is always wonderful to know which courses guests enjoy the most, and really goes to show how very subjective food is. The beef tartar is indeed a wonderful way to open the evening, and the rabbit is a great expression of Spring, while the Pea and Coconut dessert is, for me, a revelation- to have garden peas in a dessert.

I recall on the Saturday that you joined us, we did have a charming party of five enjoying a very convivial dinner in the centre of the dining room, but I'm pleased it didn't prove a distraction to your evening.

Thank you very much for your review, and I hope that we're able to welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
“Birthday dinner full of yummies!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Belated birthday celebrations for my boyfriend, so a glass of champagne to start!
We then had the tasting menu, food was lovely, intense flavours and with the wines to compliment, everything went together very well. Not as excellent as some of the michellin star places we have eaten at, but you can tell that Five Fields is well on it's way. Staff were happy to answer questions when you enquired about the food or wine and very polite. Lovely setting, romantic, yet not overtly, small and intimate. Would absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys their food and likes experiencing new tastes!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Emma,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm very pleased to know you and your boyfriend enjoyed his birthday dinner with us.

The current tasting menu, of eleven courses, is filled with delicious and very interesting dishes, so I'm glad you found it so. Likewise, the wine pairings offer a glimpse of some really surprising wines- many from little known regions.

It's equally great to hear that you enjoyed the service and found it so informative and the right balance of professional and relaxed.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Toronto, Canada
“Unbelievable ........Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

There is not enough words to describe this fantastic restaurant.
The setting, the ambiance, the service are all exceptional.
We started the evening with some champagne, followed by a delicious amous bouche that the restaurant prepares on a daily basis.
My wife and I ordered the Foie Gras, Quince and Rum to start. It was cooked to perfection and mouth watering.
This was followed by Dry Aged Middle White Pig. Again amazing.

We decided not to have dessert but the restaurant followed up with some assorted petit fours to go with the coffee.

Amazing, Delicious and definitely a restaurant I will visit on my next trip to London. It's a WOW

Visited April 2014
TheFiveFields, General Manager at The Five Fields, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Thomas,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share the experience of your evening with us.

The Foie Gras you enjoyed so much was actually a dish off our tasting menu, but it was a pleasure to have accommodated your request and I'm really pleased you enjoyed it (and your particular martini request, if I remember correctly).

I very much hope that we are able to welcome you back again very soon.