“it's small, it's clean, it's bland” 3 of 5 stars

Go Native Aldgate East Apartments
33-35 Commercial Road, Aldgate East, London E1 1LD, England   |
Ranked #186 of 684 Specialty Lodging in London
Winchester, United Kingdom
“it's small, it's clean, it's bland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

The good: great free internet, clean, they provide tea, coffee, sugar

The bad: it's too small - the room, the bed, the bathroom. No spare power sockets by desk. Bed mattress cheap, hard and uncomfortable. Decor is bland white. Kitchen area is 2 ft x 4ft, and not enough space to do much bar make a cup of tea. No air con, but at least the window opens!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I was attending a course on commercial road, and decided to stay nearby as I had had a long week at work. I decided to upgrade to the bigger and nicer premium room to help me relax and unwind.

I turned up, booked in and then when I got to the room I was shocked to find that the room was about 1/4 of the size of the room I had booked.

I went down to reception (as they did not pick up the phone) and said they had the wrong room... to which the girl said the premium rooms where fully booked and the smaller rooms where all they had left?!?

I don't understand how that happened? I booked online, which surely is connected to their room database and instantly updated when a booking is made?! I can understand this mistake happening 10-15 years ago when bookings where done on paper, but in a digital age this is purely not acceptable.

The girls attitude was almost like it happens all the time. I know I got the room as a discounted rate, so I bet they had someone come along and offer full price, so they stuck me in a smaller room.

The girl gave me the refund on the room and I told her to get the bookings team to give me a call first thing on Monday... we shall see if that actually happens (I'm not holding my breath!!).

I then went back up to my room and the door key didn't work, so again tried calling reception, didn't get an answer!!! So had to go down stairs again (I'm on the 16th floor) and they came up and reset my door.

After a horrendously long week this was truly the last thing I needed and ruined what was meant to be a nice relaxing evening!

I will never stay here again or at any go native Hotel and I would recommend you do the same.

The room is impossibly small and uncomfortably hot... really don't have anything nice to say about it!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed in a studio apartment. Don't do it if you partner is 6 foot 4. The beds are tiny. It won't work out well for you. Also beware that commercial street is very noisy so request a room on the other side of the complex. Unfortunately, even though it was January, our room was about a million degrees (even with the heating off - I guess the 14th floor gets all the rising heat - go for a low floor!) which meant we had to open the windows which meant the room was even noisier. i can't imagine how hot the rooms will be in summer....

Won't be staying there again....

Room Tip: Don't get a room on commercial road!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

This apartment wasn't quite what what we were expecting - they are more like a basic hotel with a kitchenette. I would think if you are a sole traveller or business traveller who is staying a couple of nights/week in the city they are ideal but as an overnight stay for a couple it was disappointing.

Main bug bares:
Tiniest "double" bed - be sure your happy to get very familiar with your bedfellow
No mirror apart from one in the bathroom
shower if not very powerful, didn't even attempt to wash my hair
signs not great, wandered around the whole of our floor before finding our room
Not really an apartment, more small hotel room with kitchenette
Ridiculously hot - radiators were the heat of molten magma, careful with your bare bum

positives -
great location for the city and Brick lane/Spitalfields
excellent views
iron/ironing board
tea, coffee, sugar (ambient milk would of been an advantage)
Fridge
Clean

For the money, I would rather stay in the new "budget" hotel round the corner with the largest bed I've ever stayed in and a better shower.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

... very nice trip to London. Appartment was great. Especially the kitchen was very helpful. In the morning you can have a coffee or a tea. Free Wifi is great. Tube Station near the appartment. All in all a very nice trip!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I booked this apartment as a base to get ready from for a night out. As somebody who regularly stays in apartments for the convenience and 'home from home' feel I was slightly dissapointed that go native did not provide this. I found it to be like an average 3 star hotel room with a kitchenette. The biggest downside for us was that the double bed was very small and the only mirror was a small bathroom mirror (so you cant see what you look like before you go out!) it was also extremely hot even with the radiator off. if your on a budget and dont mind these things, stay here as these apartments are the cheapest I've ever found, just beware there is a reason for this. Personally I would prefer to pay more and stay across the road at marlin apartments which are much more comfortable.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hillsborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect from this facility but was generally good. Stayed in upper level with view across to the docklands. Effectively student type accommodation for rent. Was able to book on reduced rate as Genius under booking.com which made bit reasonable value. The location isn't far from a number if places you might want to go to, but neither is it that near.
Small studio with the basics of an apartment, clean and that is it. Not fussy/ fancy, but neither is it supposed to be. Could see it as a god enough base for a stay of a number if days rather than a single night as I had.
Short walk from brick lane re evening meals. 15 -20 minute walk from tower/ tower bridge.

• Stayed November 2013

Been to Go Native Aldgate East Apartments? Share your experiences!