“Great food spoilt be indifferent service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Great food spoilt be indifferent service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The food is amazing but spoilt by no atmosphere and poor service. The service started well but went downhill quickly to the point where we had to constantly flag down any server to get service. Too bad as we would love to return but not until the service matches the food. ML from Surrey

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tadworth, United Kingdom
“Brilliant modern Japanese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Stunning food and clever variations on classic themes. A most enjoyable addition to the Japanese restaurants in London. It's not cheap but there are set lunches which seem to be good value.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Anstey, United Kingdom
“Birthday Meal - Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We ate here for my birthday on Saturday night. We were a table of six and had been recommended the restaurant by a friend. We werent disappointed. We arrived early for a drink in the bar and had cocktails. One of our table was running late so we asked to move the booking to later and this wasnt a problem. We sat down to our table. The atmosphere was nice but it did lack a little something especially for a Saturday night. When we have been to Nazoomi or Nobu in the past the restaurant was buzzing well after 11pm but this did make a nice change to be able to hear each other (showing my age). Once at the table we ordered the wine quickly however the taking of the food order took a little time and I was looking for the waiter to have a little more enthusiasm by suggesting dishes on the menu to us that were specialties. We seemed to order nearly everything on the menu, particularly tempura. The tempura to be honest was a little tastless especially the pumpkin and vegetable ones but these werent my choice and when the prawn tempura came out it was redeemed. The edamame was the best I have ever had and tops the edamame at Yellow Tail in the Bellagio!!. My other favourites were the pork belly buns and the small ice cream like creations with salmon, yellow tail and a cream with a charcoal dip. Really good. The food came promptly and we did feel like we had ordered enough for our table. We finished of the mains with some sushi and sashimi. The sushi rolls were really good. To finish off we had desserts which although were amazing were probably too much. They were pretty big and two could have been shared between the table rather than the 4 we had of which 2 were untouched. Special mention to the chocolate 8 ways which was beautiful and really tasty. Although an expensive meal I thought it was worth it.I actually found it better than Nobu & Nazoomi but felt it did lag behind some of the Japanese restaurants I have been to in the U.S. which is why I only rate this as Very Good and not Excellent.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Turning Japanese, I really think so”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Restaurant is in basement below Club Quarters where we stayed so tried it for its convenience.virgins at Japanese but food and flavours fantastic. Service also good and helpful at choosing. Opened up new horizons for us.

Visited April 2013
Sherborne, United Kingdom
“Some of the best Japanese food I've eaten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I didn't know this place existed but a friend had been treated here so suggested we had dinner. It's a basement restaurant, very nicely done out and über-cool. The menu is extensive and, frank,y, hard to know what a lot of the dishes were so we put ourselves in the hands of the waiter. We had a fantastic range from tea smoked tuna sashimi with - and it's the only way to describe it - bubbles, and even they had a flavour. We also had a second fish dish with a 'tomato sheet', gin delicious. Each dish was beautifully presented and was a treat for the taste buds. We could have gone on ordering more but frankly it would ha been greed! A real treat, very highy recommended and I would go back sooner rather than later. I gather the chef is ex-Nobu.

• Visited April 2013