“Excellent location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel London Blackfriars

You added Novotel London Blackfriars to your Saves list
Novotel London Blackfriars
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   46 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8NZ, England (London Bridge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 30% OFF
Ranked #179 of 1,049 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
La Paz, Bolivia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have stayed in a number of Novotels, so decided to try this one. It is new and clean, but not up to scratch. My room safe didn't work and the air conditioning was temperamental (to say the least). Worst, my room overlooked a main road and the sound insulation for a new hotel was appalling. A disappointment.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the front.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay with us and I am very disappointed to hear that your experience did meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

I appreciate your feedback with regards to the safe and the air-conditioning. I am still surprised to read this, as the bedrooms are being checked on a daily basis. I can assure you that there is no issue with the systems as such and that this was an temporarily and unforeseen circumstance. Our teams are available, 24/7 for you, to ensure everything is rectified straight away.

I can understand that you would expect to have a relaxing and quite sleep and for that our front desk team will do their utmost, should any guest request this, allocate a room away from the main road or on a higher floor. However our windows are triple glazed, but depending on the weekday and the location of the bedroom there can still be noise form the main road.

Should you be coming to London once again or if you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact me directly and I will personally look after your reservation.

We sincerely hope we will be able to welcome you back for your next visit to London.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in all types of hotels all over the world and this one just doesnt cut it. It isnt very cheap either but even if we paid a small amount the service should never be this bad. The front desk staff all speak broken english, they have no knowledge of London so dont expect help with a soccer game or even where a taxi rank is. We asked them to call us a taxi, they refused as they have a contract with a private company, we asked how much the private car was to which the man at the reveption answered 'I dont know' so we asked where a taxi rank was and he couldn't tell us... we ended up getting help down the road from a man in a little stall. House keeping are a whole new ball game! Not only have they come in seversal times without knocking, they forget to replace the coffee satchets and even your towels!! And after spending a day out exploring we came back to our room today with our door open... anyone could have come in our room and taken what they liked! Is this hotel for real...?? The rooms are nice and the whole complex is nice but everyone who works here are incompetent and I am sitting in my room now checking to make sure nothing in our room has been taken. We called the manager and explained and he was sorry and is going to look into it but its just not good enough... sorry wouldn't have helped if our passports had been stolen. I will not stay here ever again... I dont ask for much in a hotel but this has nothing to offer. This hotel really puts its brand to shame, stay somewhere else, trust me!

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and I appreciate your feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for all the inconvenience caused.

I am surprised to read your comments about all members of the team following our conversation and after we provided a free taxi to the city for the evening and the second one on your departure day to Heathrow airport.

I was myself very concerned that you did find your door to the bedroom not locked and I can tell you that this was an issue with the door itself, which has already been resolved. I have informed our maintenance to team to check all rooms of our hotel to ensure the doors are closing by itself as they supposed to.

London is the most cosmopolitan city in the Europe, which has a rich diverse multicultural society. Novotel as a brand, we are proud that our teams reflect this rich multiculturalism, employing staff from around the world.

I appreciate all your comments and feedback about your experience at the front desk and with our housekeeping department. I have already spoken to the head of departments and made them aware about your findings and I can assure you again, that we will take the appropriate measure to address your concerns and prevent any re occurrence. We strive continuously to improve our service and for that we are training our teams on a daily basis. I am very sorry that on this occasion you did not experience the usual high standard of service we proud ourselves on.

Should you still decide to return to our hotel in the future, please contact me directly and I will personally look after your reservation and ensure you will experience our friendly and professional service.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is a great Novotel. It's very new, so rooms are still really fresh - not huge, but modern, good shower, very clean and completely fine. We weren't in the hotel that much, but any service we received was good. We didn't manage to check the pool or gym out, but they definitely have both.

It's very conveniently located close to the South Bank (5 minutes walk to Blackfriars Bridge) and just around the corner from Southwark tube station. The name is a bit misleading, because it's in Southwark, not Blackfriars.

Highly recommended for a decent value hotel in central London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
I am extremely grateful and satisfied to read your comments about your stay and that you find our hotel to be excellent.

It is very nice to read your feedback about our modern and clean bedrooms, the good shower and that every service you have received was good.

I am glad that you have enjoyed the location and we are looking forward to welcome you back for you next visit to London.

Knaresborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

it's got 2 rather than 1 star because my room on the 13th floor was great - big comfortable and well equipped with a nespresso coffee machine and proper milk and an ipod compatible bose sound system. it's also well positioned in walking distance of the tate modern in particular but ok for central london and the south bank. easy to get to - 5 mins walk from southwark tube station.

however, i was here on business and my room had been paid for two nights and this had been confirmed prior to my arrival. i won't elaborate on the various interactions with reception and duty managers other than to say that at no point did anyone offer to help and the onus was on me to sort things out for them. it was however suggested that as a gesture of goodwill (mine to them!) I paid for my room and then this could be sorted out at an unspecified time in the future.

i didn't have breakfast on the second morning as couldn't face an argument about whether or not it was going to be paid for.

just appalling

we ate in the restaurant on the first evening which i wouldn't recommend, although was convenient after a busy day and a long trip to london

Room Tip: good view from top floor rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay with us. I am very disappointed myself to read your comments about the various interactions with the members of our team. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

As the room was already paid via a group booking, I would have expected a much more pro-active response from my colleagues and extend your stay as part of the booking. After checking the booking I can see that there was a genuine mistake with your arrival and departure date and I am sorry that this was not rectified straight away. I can assure you that we will take the appropriate measures to address your concerns to prevent this from happening again.

I am still very glad to see that you have enjoyed your Executive bedroom and the view.
I sincerely hope that you will be returning to our hotel and should you be in London in the future, please contact me directly and I will personally look after your reservation.

Varberg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Nothing to complain about. Friendly welcoming, nice and clean room. Tasty breakfast ( just missing some normal fat yoghurt). Good and attentive service. Even though we got a room on first floor the traficnoice wasn´t disturbing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed for two nights in this nice modern hotel. The room was clean and had everything you would expect. The shower was nice and spacious, although if you did want the toilet in the middle of the night the bathroom light lit up the whole suite. The walls are thin! And on our second night we had rather noisy neighbours! The staff are friendly but lacking in knowledge of their own hotel, we asked if we could have the continental breakfast (at a staggering £16) and a smaller option e.g just coffee and toast in the restaurant and were told no, we would have to sit separately, one at the bar!!! Overall we had a nice stay but were very disappointed with the breakfast fiasco!

Thank you very much for your review following your stay with us.

I am very glad to hear that you find our hotel to be nice and modern. I am also glad you liked our clean bedroom and the nice and spacious shower.

I am sorry to hear that you have not been offered the various options of breakfast we have and I we will retrain our teams on the options we have.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back for your next visit to us.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Novotel London Blackfriars? Share your experiences!