“Highly recommendable hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis London Blackfriars

Save Saved
You added Ibis London Blackfriars to your Saves list
Ibis London Blackfriars
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8NZ, England (London Bridge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 15% OFF
Ranked #198 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Naples, Florida, Usa
“Highly recommendable hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Very good experience overall. Check in was flawless. Room was nice. Location is superb. Contemporary design of the property is excellent. Breakfast was superb. What to improve: bath towels are too small. More alternatives on TV including sports and international channels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Ibis London B, Assistant General Manager at Ibis London Blackfriars, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Miguel, thank you very much for those various elements of feedback ! I am glad you have enjoyed the experience in the ibis London Blackfriars !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Looks modest, but it is clean here, a newly furnished room with comfortable bed, friendly service staff, good breakfast, daily newspapers available all the time and good location produce positive impression. Thank you!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Valery, thank you as well ! It has been a pleasure to welcome you and we hope to have you soon back at the ibis London Blackfriars !
Wenhaston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed for one night in this new purpose built Ibis. It is a 'sleep-pod' - nothing more and nothing less.

It is within easy walking distance from the South Bank, the nearest tube is Southwark and lots of buses stop on Blackfriars Road just outside the hotel. It's very clean and quiet, the beds have a super luxury mattress topper on and was the best hotel bed I've ever slept on. The only downside was that our view was onto the wall of another building about 2 meters away, but it was not too claustrophobic. The whole feel of the building and our room was light and airy, with good signage and everywhere very clean. Friendly staff. Efficient check in and out.

Room Tip: If you want a view ask for a room that does not look onto the wall of the building next door.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ibis London B, Manager at Ibis London Blackfriars, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at ibis London Blackfriars. I am really happy to hear that you have enjoyed the service provided by our hotel and we hope to have a chance to welcome you again in the near future !
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

PLUS: Location was great. Near Southwark tube station and within walking distance to London Eye and Parliament's House.

Hotel room was good and clean. We booked the bigger Standard Room with 1 double bed and 1 single bed, which came with the same price as the smaller one.

Breakfast was OK with hot meals and continental choices. Service was average, nothing special.

MINUS: The bathroom and shower design were a bit weird and disappointing. Shower quality was also bad with the water inconsistently turning hot and cold. No bathroom amenities provided, but only all purpose hand, shower and shampoo gel.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read you were impressed with the room cleanliness and it was an excellent location for you. . I am sorry to read that your experience with us did not entirely meet your expectations with regards to the bathroom amenities. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future !
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Ok just came back from a stay at Ibis Blackfriars in London, and have to say I have mixed feelings about our stay.

First, good things - very nice location, very clean premises, modern look, good rooms, good breakfast.

Now the bad - my friend and I rented a room for a week. The first night that we were staying there, we had a completely ridiculous incident with the staff. At about 11 pm in the evening, i called reception to ask for an extra blanket. The blanket was delivered to me by a security guy, who handed me the blanket, and after i said 'thank you' asked me how many people are staying in the room. I said: 'two' and he proceeded saying that his staff at the reception saw the third person with us. And i said yes, this is our friend who is staying at a hostel nearby and who just came into the reception area to meet with us. He said - are you sure he is not staying with you, i said of course not - look around the room. At the time my friend just stepped into the shower. So the security guy asked me - how many people are showering in there? (??????) I said that only my one friend is in the shower, and he left. So i got into bed, tired after my long day of strolling around London. In about 10 minutes i hear the knock on the door again, i get out of bed to open the door and the same security guard is at the door, and next to him is another person, who later turned out to be a manager, but he never spoke, just stood to the side.
The security guard said - Miss, i have to ask you again - how many people are staying at this room tonight? I said - what do you mean, i already told you, you looked inside the small room, you saw for yourself, where do you think i am hiding this third person. He says - well how many people are in the shower? (again) I said - only my friend. He says - can we look INSIDE the shower (this is while my friend is still clearly in there, with the water running) I said - what do you mean, this is ridiculous. He insists, and at that time i just kind of start laughing because i cannot believe what is going on, and how he is insisting to look inside this shower where we are apparently hiding this other person. So i shout to my friend that the security guard wants to see inside the shower, and my friend shouts back that he is naked. The security guy insists, and so my friend COMES OUT OF THE SHOWER with a towel around him and SHAVING CREAM all over because the security guard would JUST NOT LEAVE. The security guard then asks if he can step into the shower, i am just flabbergasted at this point and say - yes, and he proceeds to look inside. Then he says, okay noone is in there, and steps outside the room. At this point i m starting to get very angry, and ask them if that's all they wanted and shut the door. Then i though about how crazy the situation was, and called the reception to ask for the names of everyone involved so that i can bring this up with management in a bit, and the girl at the reception refuses to give me the name of the security guard. So i go downstairs and ask to speak to the manager, tired and quite upset at this point, and it turns out the manager was there all along, witnessing the entire situation with the security guard. They kind of apologize, but refusing to really admit that something went wrong, and insisting that the situation with the shower was handled properly. The manager says that yes, maybe they shouldnt have made my friend come out of the shower naked (MAYBE?) and that maybe they could have came back later, but really thats all i got from the in the end. In my opinion, this situation was quite outrageous, even if they had their reasons to suspect that another person was staying in the room illegally. I really felt intruded and blamed for no reason. Nothing more than that happened further, no official apology, no conversation, in no way did they try to somehow fix this situation. Unacceptable and disappointing.

On top of that, our key cards had to be reactivated daily, we would find ourselves going to the 12th floor only to discover our cards dont work, and have to come back to the reception to activate them. I m not sure what that was about, but still a little annoying.
So for myself, even though the hotel was clean and close to subway, i cannot shake off the disappointing feelings it left me with.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for having taken the time to leave a comment here. Please allow me on behalf of the whole reception team to present you my sincerest apologies for this very unfortunate situation which happened while you have been staying in our property. Despite having clear and strict health and safety regulations to follow with regards to the number of persons per room, I can understand that the whole situation have been disturbing. I would want to have the chance to discuss this more into details with you but unfortunately do not have any of your contact details. I am at your disposal should you wish to get in touch with the hotel.
Franklin Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The hotel is adequate, though I would not stay there again. Most of the important things are fine-- location is excellent (near the Tate Modern and steps away from a tube stop), comfortable bed, and a clean quiet room.
A major downside is the bathroom, a type of plastic pod buildout with a creaky floor that gives a bit under your feet. The shower has no shelf or ledge so any soap, shampoo or razor you want to use have to be placed on the shower floor. The towel hook is placed so that you have to step out of the shower to get it.
On my stay there was no soap in the shower (and the sink soap is a plastic bottle fastened to the wall). Another downside was the attitude of the staff, not genuinely friendly and nice like some places. This is probably a place best suited to a person in their 20s on a budget.

Room Tip: Quiet clean rooms but unpleasant bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your comment. Thank you very much for having highlighted how practical our location is. I am sincerely sorry to read that you have been disppointed by the lay out of our bathroom. Please be assured the team has been reminded to provide a high level of service at all times. I hope to welcome you again soon.

Been to Ibis London Blackfriars? Share your experiences!